NEWS Lockyer ready to cop backlash if Broncos anoint Matt Lodge new captain

Broncos legend Glenn Lazarus slams suggestions
Matt Lodge should captain Brisbane

The Courier-Mail
September 25, 2019 2:50pm

Brisbane great Glenn Lazarus says he will get rid of his Broncos memorabilia in disgust if “drunken thug” Matt Lodge is named captain of the embattled NRL club. And former Broncos star Ben Ikin has taken aim at his former club’s “deplorable” player roster management, saying it has created a leadership vacuum. Reformed prop Lodge is reportedly in line to take over the captaincy from Darius Boyd in 2020 as part of coach Anthony Seibold’s sweeping club review following their embarrassing NRL finals exit.

Lazarus won three premierships with Brisbane.

Lazarus won three premierships with Brisbane.

Lodge has turned his life around since avoiding a jail sentence after an October 2015 New York attack and snapping up a Broncos lifeline last year. But it appears Lodge still has not done enough to earn two-time Broncos premiership winner Lazarus’ acceptance. “It makes my blood boil to think that Matthew Lodge could be the potential captain of that football club,” he told Macquarie Sports Radio. “When you look at the Broncos’ history and the people that came before him, I would be absolutely disgusted to see Lodge leading the club.

“In fact, I would go to some lengths in regards to getting rid of a lot of the Broncos stuff that I have kept. “Given the situation the club is in, surely we can come up with something better than that, someone that people look up to and not see as a drunken thug.” Seibold has put a broom through his leadership group and is set to recommend to the Broncos board that Lodge be the next skipper, overlooking the likes of experienced players Matt Gillett, Alex Glenn and Andrew McCullough. And young forward Pat Carrigan - who has played just 19 games after making his NRL debut in 2019 - is expected to be elevated to the leadership group by Seibold next year.

Lazarus has let his feelings be known about the controversial choice.

Lazarus has let his feelings be known about the controversial choice.

Ikin admitted it would not be a good look for Lodge to be unveiled as Broncos captain. However, he was more frustrated by his ex-club’s recruitment and retention plan, saying it had created a lack of leadership options. “The senior list management at that club for a while now has been deplorable,” Ikin told Fox Sports’ NRL 360. “They’ve left a leadership hole. “There are so many holes in that roster in key positions to the point where they’re going to go into the market late to try and find themselves a playmaker for next year in a squad that’s out of balance, that’s got too much strike and not enough game management. “If they end up with a playmaker that can help them become a better team next year than they were this year, it’s a fluke. “It’s not good management. It’s an out-and-out fluke.”

Last edited:
Lazzo can talk about drunken yob. He used to sit in the ANZ stands and knock quite a few rum and cokes back with his mate Kevvie while 'watching' reserve reserve grade back in the day. All his faux outrage is simply that it's a major sook because he is still butt hurt his bestest buddy Kevvie never got the job.

The only people that might see the Broncos memorabilia he has is very close friends and family. If he wants to deprive them and himself of some wonderful memories I say fill yer boots big man.

After watching that capitulation against the Eels the only consideration when picking our next captain should be who will the players follow and listen to when things are tough on the field. Lazarus and the rest of the ex-Broncos aren’t out there anymore so they don’t count and neither do the fuckwits in the media. They put shit on us anyway so at least if Lodge is captain we’ll know what they are going to bullshit about. Time for this club to get a hard edge again.

its funny most of the outrage is coming from figure heads that were also outraged kevie didn't get the job. coincidence much?

its sad that these old players are doing there best to turn this club into parramatta.

shame on all of them is say. guarantee you if kevie was coach and suggested he was gonna make lodge captain these same ex players would be coming out saying what a masterstroke it is.

its pathetic and i wish they would just keep there biased opinions to themselves. and its shameful from the nrl media that they keep spitting this rubbish out for people to read.

and i have said it in the past and ill say it again the media better bet careful what they wish fore if broncos start bleeding viewership numbers and memberships because of all this bs propaganda articles then the nrl and the medias career will suffer real quick.

Like with what happened with DCE, everyone will move on. Can't ask it every week.

Extremely different circumstances though

1 broke no laws and back flipped on the titans
The other (lucky not to go to prison) went on a drunken drug fuelled rage threatening a families life

Either way and purely from the brand/marketing/image aspect, can’t really see the board allowing this to happen

On another note, does there have to be 3-4 posts about the same topic?

Do broncos fans actually want him as captain?

The question to me is simple. If he didn’t have his previous indiscretions counting against him, would he be the best choice as captain?

If so, yes he should...

We’ve been the ‘welfare club’ for FAR too long. Time to be the ‘premiership winning’ club and if that takes a captain with a bit of mongrel in him, albeit with a checkered past, so be it.

Last edited:
I could live with it but in a perfect world I would prefer we didn't consider him. I do however think he'll probably make a good leader. I'd also like to see a vice captain and that would be Carrigan.

After a few months with Lodge at captain (and if the club was clever and noted which reporters kept asking about ancient history) I think the redundant questions would stop. Sure it would get a mention here and there but 99% of fans would skip anything about New York because they already know everything and will quickly see lazy space filler for what it is.

In the short term we might have sponsors try and pressure the club and if there's enough of them then Lodge won't get the gig in my opinion.

Nope not really, no delusion here as I honestly believe he is the best choice and I am not clouded by a very clear and established agenda against the coach.
Lol. I can’t think a bloke who went on a rampage isn’t fit to be our captain without it being an agenda.

Not to mention he’s massively overrated on here.

Extremely different circumstances though

1 broke no laws and back flipped on the titans
The other (lucky not to go to prison) went on a drunken drug fuelled rage threatening a families life

Either way and purely from the brand/marketing/image aspect, can’t really see the board allowing this to happen

On another note, does there have to be 3-4 posts about the same topic?
The same thing will happen though. People will just forget and not care anymore. The outrage will just fade away because he'll do nothing to bring it up anymore.

Opposite is James Roberts. The guy is a complete flog. Lazy no good cheap shotting dirtbag. Constant lapses in his rehab and let's his teammates down.

Active Now

• Totally Unr3al
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.