Lockyer's best years?

Actually, fair call AP. Slater works harder off the ball than any player I have ever seen. He's got an unbelievable motor. I still have Locky as the best fullback I've seen - pips him with his all-round game.

I always admired Lockyer's ability to stand up during the most important periods of the game. When the team desperately needed him, Lockyer was there and more often than not pulled through.

I love Lockyer, but Slater as a FULLBACK overtook him a few years ago IMO, probably around 2010. The thing is that Lockyer didnt play like a fullback other than in defence. Slater is a classic fullback in all areas, and is a freak with ball in hand or chasing to get the ball in hand.

I wont say one is better than the other, only that i thank the lord that i was alive and old enough to see both of their entire careers and recognise what i was/am seeing.

To say that the only thing Slater has over Lockyer is longevity.....wow. im not going to start an argument so ill just leave it at that.
AP, I'm not gonna get into another endless argument with you, but I'll clarify my point.

I was talking in terms of classifying who is the best fullback ever (that I have seen play that is), and Slater would tip the scale because of his longevity in the position, as while Slater has his motor, athleticism and indeed, his instinct to pop up where needed in attack, Lockyer had the cooler head, the immensely better passing and kicking game, less brain snaps and a slightly better defensive instinct.

If I was to compare both men purely on how they performed at their best, by comparing say... the best season each of them played as a fullback, I'd give it to Lockyer, but only by a small margin. Seriously, that is saying a lot, because no one holds Darren Lockyer in higher esteem than I do!

I haven't seen much pre-2008, but he pulled out some special stuff that year in terms of clutch plays, 2011 was a joy to watch as he started taking on the line more and made people look like fools when he stepped them :001_tt2:

Last edited:
I haven't seen much pre-2008, but he pulled out some special stuff that year in terms of clutch plays, 2011 was a joy to watch as he started taking on the line more and made people look like fools when he stepped them :001_tt2:

Just about to mention that myself.

Last year he really brought back his running game, something that had disappeared too much from his game since the shift to five-eighth. Was great to watch.

Splitting hairs saying Slater or Locky is better, if I had a gun to my head probably lean to Locky because he didn't have that big mistake in him.

Saw a stat recently that said Slater covers about 120 mtrs per set in attack and defence

Just about to mention that myself.

Last year he really brought back his running game, something that had disappeared too much from his game since the shift to five-eighth. Was great to watch.

Loved that break he made in Origin 3 in the lead up to Smith's try.

Vintage Lockyer, just a shame he didn't have the legs on him to go all the way.

Also set up a nice try for Yow Yeh against the Titans & Panthers I believe and just about set one up for Copley...who of course blew it.

In terms of pure highlights, 08 has to be right up there too. Sure he was injured for a lot of it, and threw more hospital passes than ever, but he's had so many magical moments that year, a lot of which when combining with Kemp.

Agreed. Him and kemp really seemed to have a special combination. That try to win the game (I'm pretty sure it was against the eels) where locky kicked across field and kemp the quick bastard gets there, magic stuff.

I am still surprised how much kemp has fallen from grace. Back in 08 I thought he was in for a special career, to think that he now can't get a game in a pretty useless dragons team is pretty bizarre

I feel Lockyer is underrated at fullback. We hear Slater and Churchill's names brought up being the best in that position and Lockyer barely gets a mention. Cameron Smith was asked a question once, about Slater being the best fullback of all time and he brought up Lockyer's name and told them he shouldn't be forgotten.

Not saying Lockyer is superior, not at all.

Couldn't agree more. His dominance at 6 has overshadowed just how great he was at fullback. I obviously never saw Churchill play so have to take the general consensus that he was the best ever fb, but for mine locky is next, then slater. I saw an interview with churchills missus where she was asked , besides Clive who was the best fb she had seen. Her response was basically "billy is very good but not better than locky"

I love Lockyer, but Slater as a FULLBACK overtook him a few years ago IMO, probably around 2010. The thing is that Lockyer didnt play like a fullback other than in defence. Slater is a classic fullback in all areas, and is a freak with ball in hand or chasing to get the ball in hand.

I wont say one is better than the other, only that i thank the lord that i was alive and old enough to see both of their entire careers and recognise what i was/am seeing.

To say that the only thing Slater has over Lockyer is longevity.....wow. im not going to start an argument so ill just leave it at that.

Glad to see you have this opinion AP, cos seriously if we agreed on something I would have to have a good hard look at myself

I think 2000 was his best year, he was by far the games best player at that stage. He was carving sides to shreds every week, it is abysmal that he didn't win a Dally M during this period of his career.

I am still surprised how much kemp has fallen from grace. Back in 08 I thought he was in for a special career, to think that he now can't get a game in a pretty useless dragons team is pretty bizarre

He was definitely on the outer after McGuire belted him in a QCup game, shame he didn't have it in him to stay and fight his way back into the side.

I feel sorry for Kemp.

That 08 was thrilling to watch and his combination with Lockyer was very reminiscent of Lockyer's work with Walker (which is something I feel has been forgotten over the years but in 01-02 was one our best assets). Was squeezed out and went to the Warriors where he started well (kicked a match winner from the sidelines against the defending premiers in Round 2) but finished poorly in a poor side.

Came back to Brisbane and had a strong return game scoring a thrilling match winning try in one of only a few highlights that year before he suffered a horrible injury against the Warriors he broke his rib so bad it punctured his lung. He kept coming back too early for Easts and just seemed too tentative.

Hey guys, this is off topic. But when Wayne moved to the Dragons, did he try and take Lockyer with him?

Nothing reported on that + Lockyer was never going to leave anyway.

Firstly, Wayne wouldn't have taken him. He understood Locky was the Broncos and wouldn't have even attempted to put him in that position.

Secondly, Locky would have been well and truly under wraps. Did he not have a 4 year deal then a one yearer to finish him off?

And thirdly, Lockyer's not Boyd. He doesn't have some weird daddy fetish with Wayne.

Big League reported that there was a chance of Lockyer moving down there because he was looking for property around the Gong.

Was nothing more than a rumour though.

Unread

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Mister Wright
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Lurker
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.