NEWS Lodge: love you Brisbane

Matthew Lodge has another year on his $700,000 (rumoured) contract, and two more as options. Coach Kevin Walters has invited him to leave to free up some cap space, but Matt wants to remain and prove his worth:

“To be honest, I love it here. I owe a lot to this club for giving me another chance. I‘m always grateful to be at the Broncos. I came here four years ago with a 20kg suitcase and I was on Centrelink payments, so whatever happens happens. I don‘t want to leave the club. I will play as hard as I can and give my all until the day I walk out of here.”

“I don’t know what’s going on. I will keep our chat private, you can ask Kevvie what he said to me. He is obviously still thinking about things and obviously they want to sign a halfback and he has made that clear to me."

Screen34369136 1872601766118268 6380234382757593088 n

Cult following

“Something has to give with the salary cap, but I’ll be giving 100 per cent as long as I am at this club. Four years ago, I had nothing and my career was up in the air. I don’t know what happens but as long as I keep playing well there is hope for me. I never not turn up. I always try and play hard for the Broncos jumper so as long as I’m here, I won’t be letting the club down. I’m happy to put my body on the line and I care about the club so I’ll be trying my best for Kevvie. Hopefully I can stay here a while yet.”

Tevita Pangai Jnr:

“Lodgey has put three or four good games together and we’ve seen what he can do in the middle. With his charges in the middle, he inspires all of us. Hopefully he can stay but it’s up to him and the club.”

McHunt

please provide the quote from Coates that says he will be rejecting us for the Storm

It is in the news corp publications, released 2-3 minutes ago. I don't pay for that trash, so don't know what it says.

It is in the news corp publications, released 2-3 minutes ago. I don't pay for that trash, so don't know what it says.

just saw it ... no actual quotes from Coates, his manager, Bellamy, the Storm, Kevvie, DD (have i left anyone out). just that he will sign a 2 year deal.

p.s. if he does leave, i will laugh my head off if Bellamy (who still isn't sure if he want to go around again next year) retires from coaching and moves back to QLD

But the reality is they aren't these days, and if he feels he owes the club and could help by signing a slightly lower contract to bring the team more success. It's not a big deal, if he has that option or being pushed out the door.
Maybe Milford can take 100k off his 2021 payments to offset future years.

Your argument is myopic and targeted against one player. Either you have an issue with Lodge (probable) or you don’t respect the nature of contracts. Either way, I’m not sure the argument you’re trying to make will get up here - why should Lodge do it and nobody else?

No. Badel wrote "in excess of 700k." Ritchie wrote "up to 800k." Which are compatible. No one is giving a round number. I went with the lower estimate apropos of nothing.

I know our retention and recruitment are abysmal and our salary cap a mess but does anyone on here honestly believe we are paying guys like Lodge and Flegler more than Haas? I know Haas was signed on a long term contract early in his career but that was based on his ceiling and his obvious potential. I doubt anyone with a single brain cell would think Lodge and Flegler were anywhere near 700k+ in value including our brain dead recruitment.

Considering Lodge’s past I think he would have been happy just to be paid anything more than a minimum wage and would have had bugger all leverage.

I could be wrong and we really are that dumb but It was only just last week I think it was Hoops started backtracking on the Milford million dollar salary narrative saying that Milford is currently on a million ... or something close to it. Before this year he was definitely on over a million. They change DCE’s contract value week to week depending on the narrative.

We have to stop taking players salaries spoken by soap opera journalists as gospel. They are all paid by player managers anyway to blab on figures to manipulate clubs anyway.

Would you take less at your job so they could bring in another team member?
Yes absolutely, if I felt I was overpaid and bringing in another team member would take large amounts of pressure off my shoulders and result in an outcome that I’d be proud of instead of being the laughing stock of my industry.

I know our retention and recruitment are abysmal and our salary cap a mess but does anyone on here honestly believe we are paying guys like Lodge and Flegler more than Haas? I know Haas was signed on a long term contract early in his career but that was based on his ceiling and his obvious potential. I doubt anyone with a single brain cell would think Lodge and Flegler were anywhere near 700k+ in value including our brain dead recruitment.

Considering Lodge’s past I think he would have been happy just to be paid anything more than a minimum wage and would have had bugger all leverage.

I could be wrong and we really are that dumb but It was only just last week I think it was Hoops started backtracking on the Milford million dollar salary narrative saying that Milford is currently on a million ... or something close to it. Before this year he was definitely on over a million. They change DCE’s contract value week to week depending on the narrative.

We have to stop taking players salaries spoken by soap opera journalists as gospel. They are all paid by player managers anyway to blab on figures to manipulate clubs anyway.
Yes, we famously nabbed Haas to a long term deal as a kid. Why we're paying Lodge and Flegler so much is a matter for a long heated discussion over many drinks followed by smashing shit.

At least Lodge won't take shit from anyone, even the coach. In the recent interview he basically said it was lousy the Kevvie leaked the conversations they had about his playing future but appreciated that Kevvie had phoned him up to apologise.

I understand sometimes you have to give a player a tap on the shoulder, but Kevvie not being able to keep it between himself and Lodge is ordinary.

Unless another club can offer him a job through to the end of 2024, he ought to stay and keep earning good money. The Broncos may just have to suck it up and be a bit more appreciate of his services and hopefully learn their lessons about signing forwards on big money and long contracts with player options.

At least Lodge won't take shit from anyone, even the coach. In the recent interview he basically said it was lousy the Kevvie leaked the conversations they had about his playing future but appreciated that Kevvie had phoned him up to apologise.

I understand sometimes you have to give a player a tap on the shoulder, but Kevvie not being able to keep it between himself and Lodge is ordinary.

Unless another club can offer him a job through to the end of 2024, he ought to stay and keep earning good money. The Broncos may just have to suck it up and be a bit more appreciate of his services and hopefully learn their lessons about signing forwards on big money and long contracts with player options.

I agree. He may not be a 7-800k prop but if we are only going to get 400k back from moving him on, what benefit is it? You'd have to find another forward for 300k max to get benefit and that would mean said 300k forward is effectively getting paid 700k. So all of that would lead to the Roosters having an extra $2 million in their salary cap.

I love the words from Lodge and hope he continues his upwards trajectory but if there were a possibility to swap him for Papalii, I'd do it in an instant.

But I think we are all ignoring the elephant in the room, why do we need to free up money for a halfback? How can we still not have enough money?

As I alluded to in my last post, now that we are freeing up Milford’s contract, the narrative now is he was only on $900,000 and not a million. You can’t make this shit up. How people still believe figures in the media when 3 different media entities print 3 different salaries is beyond me.

Jack Bird was apparently on 5-6 different remuneration ranging from anywhere between $700,000 and $950,000 depending on what narrative you want to follow. The media almost have as much clue about salaries as the general public. Half of the time it is just a conservative estimate based on the apparent market value of a player give or take $100,000

so they've dropped his contract value back to 700k ... it was nearly 800k last week 🤔

secondly, i'm not sure if anyone told Badel, but Walters can't "tear up his contract" all he could do is request Lodge leave, if Lodge doesn't want to leave, then there's nothing anyone can do.

thirdly, Flegler should be the one going, not Lodge

fourthly, i love his attitude.
This just about covers it up entirely, end the thread on this post.

Lodge is a good person to keep, and we need to free up some cap. Apparently he is on 750k with 2 years of player options. Why doesn't the club offer him a 4yr deal at 500k a year, this gives him more security and a longer deal. This is a win for the club, and arguably a win for Lodge.

Is a risk with his injury history, but his off field dramas seem to be a thing of the past. But it appears he is loved by the playing group, and when injury free he is a gun prop.

Lodge is a good person to keep, and we need to free up some cap. Apparently he is on 750k with 2 years of player options. Why doesn't the club offer him a 4yr deal at 500k a year, this gives him more security and a longer deal. This is a win for the club, and arguably a win for Lodge.

Is a risk with his injury history, but his off field dramas seem to be a thing of the past. But it appears he is loved by the playing group, and when injury free he is a gun prop.
Because you're asking him to work a further two years for only $500k to what he's already entitled to.

Active Now

• Gaz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Culhwch
  • winslow_wong
  • Maddy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncos Maestro
  • upthebroncs
  • Broncosgirl
  • davidp
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • Tim K
  • Fitzy
  • leon.bott
  • Midean
  • heartly87
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.