LOL @ QRL (Origin ticket prices)

I liked when they put origin in 3D at the cinemas, that was cool.

I've been for the last 4 or 5 years included in Platinum Season Membership. I was at Lockyer's last Origin.

It's a must do experience for any rugby league fan.

I opted out this year, save the $200+ and it's so much more comfortable at home in the middle of winter, beers are cold, no lines, family and friends watching with you, no rush from work.

It's a hard sell to get there, especially for Game 1.

What really pisses me off more is that the tickets were deliberately priced at a premium, but the QRL are oblivious to the fact that they are pricing the real fans out of it. Instead of families that genuinely want to be there for the game, they're marketed to suited spivs who want to be at Origin because it's the thing to do, and will just get juiced up and **** the atmosphere for everyone else.

Pandering to the spivs is so short sighted, what happens when we eventually lose a couple of series and they need a crowd to turn up and support the team. If they cant sell out when they have the greatest team in Origin history the place will be half full when we are rebuilding

Tickets have been "re-categorised" from $180-$220 down to $125. Good for everyone except those who already paid the $220.

Tickets have been "re-categorised" from $180-$220 down to $125. Good for everyone except those who already paid the $220.

yep. pretty peeved off to be honest. i bought 4 @ 250$ each the day the members tickets went on sale because my uncle from townsville wanted to go (has never been) and i figured i'd just buy two extras for either friends, or to just sell if no one i know wanted to come. paying 250 for myself seemed excessive and i wouldnt do it again but since my uncle had never been i thought.. whatever.

now the tickets are reduced and qrl wont even let me collect them til game day (even though receipt says pre-paid outlet collection)... so i have two spare tickets that i cant physically get til game day and therefore cant onsell to recoup some of my costs.

i really have no interest in making money on tickets and am happy to offload the two i have spare for 350 for both (they are gold seats) but it makes it hard when you cant actually pick the tickets up til gameday.

never again

Error Page

STATE of Origin legend Wally Lewis has joined former teammate and Queensland coach Mal Meninga in blasting the price of tickets for this year’s series.

Lewis said the Queensland Rugby League’s decision to charge through the nose for State of Origin tickets was nothing short of embarrassing.

Meninga said the officials who set the ticket prices should apologise to fans.

“A lot of them can’t afford to go along to the game,” Lewis told ABC radio.

“It’s really quite an embarrassing moment for the Queensland Rugby League because, if you try and put a finger on the last time a State of Origin game was unable to be sold, you’re going back 25 years, minimum.”

Lewis and Meninga played in the Queensland team in the inaugural Origin game in 1980 and were fixtures in Maroon for the following decade.

Almost 8000 tickets remain unsold for the 100th State of Origin game next week at Suncorp Stadium.

This is despite a minor reduction in the cost of select tickets last week.

However, rugby league’s working class fans have baulked at ridiculous price hikes which have seen some tickets nearly double in cost from last year.

Officials could even have to give tickets away to junior clubs so empty seats don’t ruin the spectacle.

Meninga said the QRL, which employs him, must swallow their pride and slash prices.

“Extremely disappointing,” Meninga said of the slow sales.

“I guess the league has to make some tough decisions and say they’re sorry and admit they’re wrong and make it more available to our core supporters.

“Our blue collar workers, our mums and dads who love the game so much and want to come to Origin.

“We learn our lessons and hopefully we’re strong enough to put our hands up and say we were wrong and make it a bit more accessible to our audience for game one and for game three as well.”

Last year’s lone Origin at Suncorp Stadium attracted just over 51,690 fans.

It was the poorest crowd since the old Lang Park was redeveloped in 2003.

The QRL now has eight days to sell 7,500 seats.

For the first time ever, the governing body is running an advertising campaign to try and convince people to buy tickets for a State of Origin Game One.

Late last week the ARL Commission and the QRL released a limited number of silver category seats for $125, a third off the original price.

Still, take up has been slow.

The QRL simply got their price point for State of Origin demand dramatically wrong.

Their membership special cost an outlandish $695.

The Maroons Membership gave supporters a ticket to the first and third Origin games plus other bonuses such as an $80 membership pack, a maroon wig and a tour of the Fourex Brewery.

Though some seats are as cheap as $80 for adults, prices spiral up to $370 for category one tickets and $250 for a seat in the upper tier of the western stand.

If Queensland head into Game Three with the series wrapped up, ticket prices will have to be halved.

Wonder if they'll do anything after being shamed by two of the greats or just sit on their stubborn arses and do nothing.

Wonder if they'll do anything after being shamed by two of the greats or just sit on their stubborn arses and do nothing.

If people buy the tickets at the reduced rate, it's a guarantee that QRL will do absolutely nothing.

If people buy the tickets at the reduced rate, it's a guarantee that QRL will do absolutely nothing.

Yup, hence im not buying a ticket until we see a permanent decrease next year and not just a reaction after a massive backlash from the public. Really feel for the people who bought full price tickets

If QRL had any decency, they'd refund the difference for people who purchased their tickets before the price drop.

What a farcical situation. Embarrassing from QRL. Fucking joke.

More than 1400 tickets to the opening match of the 2014 Holden State of Origin series were purchased today and further strong sales are expected this week as fans grab a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see the 100th game.

Queensland Rugby League Managing Director Robert Moore met with NRL Head of Commercial Paul Kind in Brisbane today ahead of the May 28 Origin opener between the XXXX Maroons and VB Blues.

“There were encouraging signs from the start of the day with more than 500 tickets sold by lunch time,” Mr Kind said.

“Fans are buying in the higher end of the price categories that we’ve got available, as Silver is currently outselling the new White category by two to one.

“It’s important that fans are aware that the majority of tickets we’ve got available are in the two price categories of $180 (Silver) and $125 (White). The Bronze category tickets have been snapped up.”

Mr Moore wished to clarify a number of key points following recent media reports.

“Original ticket prices have not been changed or reduced. No current ticket holder will be disadvantaged as we have simply introduced a new category in sections of the stadium where there were limited sales,” Mr Moore said.

Mr Moore said outside of Maroon Memberships, General Public tickets ranged from $80 to $250.

He said these prices are comparative to the Sydney Origin match and other major sporting events in Australia.

The prices have lifted from previous years to bring the Queensland Origin games into line with the same pricing structure as NSW. As it currently stands, Game 2 has sold as many tickets as the Brisbane match with four weeks until the Sydney game.

But for now the focus is on Game 1 and the 100th clash between two fierce rivals.

“Origin is one of the great sporting experiences and next Wednesday night will provide a fabulous celebration of the rich history born out of that unforgettable first match in 1980,” Moore said.

Mr Kind today said the pre-match entertainment would add to the experience.

“The game has put together a tribute to the legends who have made Origin what it is today,” he said.

“Many of the best players in rugby league over the 100 games will be present at a special pre-game celebration which will include a 50 piece orchestra, the voice of Ray Warren and all of our legends.”

Mr Kind said there had been a belief amongst some supporters that Origin 1 would be an immediate sell out.

“Historically the Queensland Origin match has sold out, but I think there are still fans out there who would love to experience Origin, many of them who may not have experienced Origin before,” he said.

“Knowing that seats are available and knowing that they are priced comparatively to other major sports should encourage fans to come along.

“For anyone who has been, there is nothing like Origin at Suncorp. It is a special experience and we hope that fans get out there to enjoy the occasion.”

Game 1 – May 28 @ Suncorp Stadium Object moved

From the QRL site. Arrogant pricks.

Haha, they introduced new categories... for the areas that were priced higher but hadn't been sold yet.

Cool story!

I just had a look at the prices for Game 3. They put them back to the original price.

QRL just won't learn...

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • bb_gun
  • Redux
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • Strop
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.