Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Moranc 17112626

Broncos stand by injured halfback Caitlin Moran

June 10, 2018

The talented NSW playmaker moved to Brisbane earlier this year in a bid to play with the club for the inaugural season of the NRL premiership, which kicks off in September.

A standout during the Jillaroos’ World Cup campaign, Moran revealed that she had to sell her car to make the move but suffered a cruel fate when she snapped her ACL while playing for Souths Logan in the local competition.

But the Broncos have stuck to their word despite the injury, handing her a playing contract this week.

“We see Caitlin as a future leader of this team,” Dyer said.

“We see her as someone we can work with over the coming years and I know her attitude, I know what type of person she is.

“I have no doubt in the coming years you’ll see her on the field for the Broncos and she’ll be a real tower of strength for our club in the future.

“She’ll be treated like one of our team members (this year) and we’ll fully honour a contract for her so she feels like she’s part of that.”

Moran — who has also been given a traineeship in Brisbane’s community department — suffered the injury last month, while playing against Ipswich Brothers.

Dyer said she rung him while she was still at the ground to deliver the bad news and he did not hesitate in promising her the contract.

He had not checked with Broncos CEO Paul White but he knew it was the right approach.

“When she rang me from the ground to say she’d done it, I hadn’t even spoken to Paul … I just promised it to her anyway,” he said.

“I rang her and told her as unfortunate as that is and as shattering as that is, I want you to know our club will stand beside you through this whole process.

“It’s an important message, not only to Caitlin, but for everyone that plays the game in the women’s space.

“If the NRL are going to be involved in this and they’re going to commit to this, then they need to do it properly. From our point-of-view, that’s the first thing we wanted to do.”

Moran said she was still upset by the season-ending injury and had been reduced to tears on a daily basis.

But she had also found home.

The 21-year-old was moved by the unwavering support from the Broncos and said she will not be leaving Brisbane anytime soon.

“I was needing a change and I didn’t know what it was or what I needed at the time,” she said.

“It’s like I’ve found home here. It’s like I’ve found a family. They’ve really gone out and looked after me.

“To move so far away from what I know and all my family and all my friends, to get here and find good people and have that support behind me as well, it’s makes it easier.

“I was only going to come up here for the premiership and try it out and see how it goes, but I think we’ve found somewhere we’re going to stay for a few years.

“I’ll knuckle down and do what I can here.”

Source: Courier Mail

Im actually more excited by this then what i thought i would be. Sounds like we are going to be the team to beat. Itll give us a chance to win a few premierships until, just like the real nrl, other teams complain about our unfair advantages (salary cap, off field cap, referees giving us an unfair advantage when the evidence shows they dont, ect) and try to bring the standard down rather then try to improve to beat us all whilst we keep them afloat via television money they wouldnt get without us...

This is why I love the Broncos

Dyer is such an inspired choice as coach; the players will love him. Learned everything from Graham Murray when he was the girls' coach. Been at the Broncos since mid 90's and is a life member.

He will nail this.

Active Now

• Spoon
  • Ondi
  • john1420
  • Manofoneway
  • levikaden
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  • Tim K
  • BruiserMk1
  • Financeguy
  • thenry
  • Jason Simmons
  • RolledOates
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mister Wright
  • Griffo
  • Skyblues87
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.