Macca going to the World Cup?

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga insists Andrew McCullough needs to hold his form for World Cup call-up
external

ANDREW McCullough has his nose in front in the three-horse race to be Cameron Smith’s successor as Australia’s Test hooker, with Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga confirming the Broncos rake is on course for a World Cup debut.
McCullough’s improved form and continued development this season has not gone unnoticed by Meninga, who is already casting an eye towards the end-of-season tournament, which culminates in the World Cup final at Suncorp Stadium on December 2.
Like every other Queensland hooker, McCullough’s path to a Maroons or Kangaroos jumper have been blocked by the enormous presence of Immortal-in-waiting Smith.
PANGAI JNR INJURY WORSE THAN FIRST THOUGHT
YOUNG GUNS READY TO FIRE FOR BRONCOS

82b44662f5106840a476ca44da13387f

McCullough knows he must remain consistent. Photo: Tara Croser.
Roosters skipper Jake Friend has been the heir apparent to Smith’s representative crowns for a number of years, and toured with the Kangaroos as deputy No.9 for last year’s Four Nations.
But Meninga said McCullough’s career-best form, which recently helped him land a new four-year deal with the Broncos, had put the Dalby product squarely on the radar of selectors.
“He’s playing his best footy this year, there’s no doubt about that,” Meninga said. “Andrew has been mentioned around our selection table and he deserves that.
“In our talks with the Australian team, obviously Cameron Smith is number one but Andrew and Jake Friend and Peter Wallace are certainly running close second.
“Touch wood that nothing happens to Cameron Smith but obviously we do have to look at a successor.
“If Andrew keeps on playing the way he is playing at the moment, he’s right in the picture for a World Cup position.”
external

origin:video_integrator.A1a3J0YTE6P9-_tiH4tIxYpDNcdt4fFV

League Central TV: What's wrong with the Panthers?
McCullough has been one of the Broncos’ most consistent players this season and one of their most reliable for years. He is also averaging the most tackles per game across the competition so far this season.
Meninga said that while those defensive efforts were impressive, the Australian selectors would also be watching what the Brisbane No. 9 can do with the ball in the coming months.
McCullough is aware of this himself, telling The Courier-Mail this week that his running game is something he wants to improve on.
The 27-year-old said in he knows he is in the best form of his career so far, but he also believes he has room for improvement.
eaacf26fe2d4b719a84f1ec8e2b837ef

McCullough’s form for Brisbane has him in the front seta. Photo: Peter Wallis
With the World Cup at the end of the year, McCullough said he has not given up on his goals of one day wearing the Kangaroo jumper and will do everything he can to continue impressing Meninga.
“Anyone in the comp that tells you they don’t have goals or ambitions to do something like that, they’re probably lying,” McCullough said of playing representative football.
“It’s always a goal and a drive.
“I just have to make sure I have a good training ethic every week and those things may or may not come, who knows. But I will give myself every opportunity.”
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/12bcd247a3431f19cbe272ee468ab4ac

Working on his running game is not really needed, working on his decision making in the red zone is what's needed now, given his service speed has improved this year.

No to Macca at world cup.

I have been an avowed Macca "hater" because his service is slow....but having been at the Roosters game (not in my usual seats) and being behind the goal line, I got to see how wide Hunt and Milf stand....it's a really long pass...so it might appear slower than it is....

That said he needs to make better decisions in the red zone...less fucking dummies

No to Macca at world cup.

I have been an avowed Macca "hater" because his service is slow....but having been at the Roosters game (not in my usual seats) and being behind the goal line, I got to see how wide Hunt and Milf stand....it's a really long pass...so it might appear slower than it is....

That said he needs to make better decisions in the red zone...less fucking dummies

He has two tries this year off dummies so bite your tongue

He has two tries this year off dummies so bite your tongue

Yeah but when it doesn't work, he kills any momentum we have.

His decision making is what he needs to work on. He needs to pick his moments better.

I actually think being selected will do him the world of good.

He hasn't had the chance to learn from the best in the business. This will give him that chance.

Let's face it, it's only the World Cup. It's not Origin. If Australia turn up they win comfortably.

Reading about Wallace being in the top 4 hookers in the game is hilarious.

Not that he's not playing well, I just find it weird/funny.

Reading about Wallace being in the top 4 hookers in the game is hilarious.

Not that he's not playing well, I just find it weird/funny.

It sure is and the weirder thing is that (take out the foreigners), he actually is!

Hence the reason the Bulldogs really need to move one of Reynolds or Mbye to hooker full-time, it would be a better position for one of them and Frawley offers something better.

It sure is and the weirder thing is that (take out the foreigners), he actually is!

Hence the reason the Bulldogs really need to move one of Reynolds or Mbye to hooker full-time, it would be a better position for one of them and Frawley offers something better.

I think out of the two only Reynolds could handle the defensive side of the role.

I'm not sure Mbye could.

I actually think being selected will do him the world of good.

He hasn't had the chance to learn from the best in the business. This will give him that chance.

Let's face it, it's only the World Cup. It's not Origin. If Australia turn up they win comfortably.
Exactly this it's not like he'd be replacing Smith!!! He'd be playing against Scotland, Wales, etc.

Also he would be able to see how Cam, JT, etc. go about their game, speak to different forwards about how they like to receive the ball off the ruck and would also be exposed to a completely different coaching staff.

Not to mention the confidence he would get about getting a call up to the Australian side.

Absolutely ridiculous that you wouldn't want a key broncos player to be exposed to that, because of some BS personal bias against them

I can't wait for the whinging from other teams fans about how we somehow have another rep player on our books, even though they are the same people who have always said he was shit.

Rightly deserved. He is the 2nd best hooker in the comp despite what this forum thinks.

Shit passes from dummy half .....

Mr fourex. **** knows what you are watching mate but Macca has been in outstanding form. You must be a Barry Berrigan fan.

The learning experience alone would be well worth it from a Broncos perspective even if he didn't make it onto the field.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • NSW stables
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • jd87
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fitzy
  • broncotville
  • Dony Eliakim
  • LittleDavey
  • Browny
  • phoenix
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Mister Wright
  • Dash
  • Manofoneway
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.