"Magic" Round 9 discussion

Tell me why when someone does a Shepherd and they give themselves up (like Dugan just did) , why are they just allowed to play the ball as though nothing has happened? Why isn't it a penalty?

I've always just figured it's because they don't gain any advantage from the shepherd.

This Xerri lad looks the goods.

Yeah but if they play on it gets pulled up

Yeah, but in giving themselves up, they're effectively negating any advantage they've gained, hence no penalty.

That's my terrible understanding of it anyway haha.

Tyrone Peachey has been a nightmare for the Titans in the past 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Peachey handing the drug cheats a win all by himself...

The broncos need the teams around them on the ladder to keep losing

Taylor barely touched the ball in the Titans last couple of sets, don't think he even touched it in their last one.

They need better from him. He is their halfback.

I think I've said it 4 times this season, Tyrone Peachey is literally the worst player in the NRL, actually it might be a dead heat between him and Brian Kelly.

They've cost the Titans 3 or 4 wins between them this season with their putrid defense and decision making in attack, Brennan needs to be dropping both of them.

This is like the first game I've seen where Xerri didn't drop the ball.

Tell me why when someone does a Shepherd and they give themselves up (like Dugan just did) , why are they just allowed to play the ball as though nothing has happened? Why isn't it a penalty?

It should be a penalty.

I'm 99% sure it's still in the rulebook that voluntary tackles are to be penalized.

I think I've said it 4 times this season, Tyrone Peachey is literally the worst player in the NRL, actually it might be a dead heat between him and Brian Kelly.

They've cost the Titans 3 or 4 wins between them this season with their putrid defense and decision making in attack, Brennan needs to be dropping both of them.

Maybe not the worst, but one of the most frustrating. Like we were talking about with TPJ earlier, some just don’t seem to learn.

He even spoke after the game how frustrating it is that they can’t seem to close out games. It was as if he didn’t even realise that giving away the winning penalty, or kicking it over the sideline on the 4th, or any other of his bonehead plays, contributed to them losing.

Maybe it’s frustration, the halves don’t seem to be able to do it so he tries to take it upon himself. Or he’s just plain dumb. Such a Titans player. Like Cartwright, bought because of the brilliance they display 1 in 10 games, and ignore the lazy and dumb plays in the other 9.

Peachey copped an elbow to the face. I thought he was unlucky not to get the penalty.

I'm so disappointed that Brimson's kick behind the line didn't come off. I was dying for somebody at the Gold Coast to play some footy and when Brimson actually came up with the play for a split second it looked like they were on their way to a famous win. Instead it was like he committed to putting the second kick in when it actually sat up for him.

I thought Cronulla handled those closing stages a lot better. They weren't afraid to give their backs the ball or change the angle of their plays and use the footy. Too often the Gold Coast were just happy to get through their set, hoping to force a knock on that just never came. I really hate that mentality and unfortunately it's something that's become so common place in the modern game.

The better team won on the night and the referees made some good decisions but I thought the Gold Coast copped the rough end of the stick a few times. I thought the pass to Townsend was a good metre forward out of the hands and there were two penalties in that second half that felt out of touch with the game. I had to look it up, but Nikora received a penalty for losing the ball which seemed like a guess from the officials and Flanagan received a penalty for giving Peachey a stiff elbow to the face. After the farce last week, the NRL really owes it to the Gold Coast Titans fans to keep them interested in the game.

He doesn't have anyone better than Martin though. Elliott certainly isn't as good as him and Jackson has been playing his best footy at lock. A back row of: RFM, Jackson, Martin with CHN at centre and Hoppa at FB would probably be their best side.

I wouldn't be so quick to move on Meaney, especially if it's for Hopoate. Meaney's pace has opened up more space for the Bulldogs backline and has kept the defensive lines more honest because he's a difficult player to cover. Hoppa was busier at the back, but rarely posed a threat with the football. Will is better off in the centres where he can use his big frame to produce offloads and help the team out with exit sets. It also spares Pay from having to play more wingers in the centres like he's been forced to.

Like I said, I'm happy that Pay has moved on Lewis and Holland. Both of them have struggled this season and it hasn't been through a lack of effort. They're just not up to NRL level and that's been proven week after week. Martin can consider himself unlucky but I don't think his omission undoes the other decisions.

The Bulldogs are between a rock and a hard placed and while I normally disagree with making regular mass changes, the Bulldogs are a team that desperately need to rotate their roster to see who's worth keeping and which positions they desperately need to fix.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Midean
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • ezpz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.