Maloney/Pearce certainties

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/shows/grill-team/blog/2016/5/video-nrl-revovery-session-matty-johns-on-mitchell-pearce-playing-for-nsw-blues-origin/

According to Matty Johns.

However, he isn't alone with a number of Blues greats voicing their opinion. On social media, the Blues greatest ever coach said he'd go with a Maloney/Pearce combination for this series.

As we edge closer to the series, does Laurie have to bite the bullet on this position or should he take a shot in the dark?

I'd go with Maloney & A.Reynolds personally.

Well Maloney because he's found some decent form over the last few weeks, been there before, reliable kicking game, combination with Ennis & Gallen. Reynolds because they need some fresh talent in the mix, they're just going to straight up lose the series if they go with someone like Hodkinson or Pearce again. Reynolds is the best goal kicker in the world, has an incredible kicking game when he's in form (Wouldn't mind seeing Souths win some games before Origin before I lock him in, you can't pick him if Souths keep playing the way they are) and is tough as nails.

1. Tedesco* (Coote if unavailable)
2. Ferguson
3. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Dugan
6. Maloney
7. Reynolds
8. Woods
9. Ennis
10. Tamou
11. Scott
12. Bird
13. Gallen (c)

14. Cordner
15. Fifita
16. Klemmer
17. Vaughan

This is probably the team I'd pick right now, good mix of experience, youth & x-factor.

Last edited:
The biggest issue with Maloney/Reynolds is that you need a ball-player. Maloney can run the football and has one of the better kicking games but beyond that he's limited in what he can do and is a liability in defence. I would probably go with him since he's been the best five-eighth who happens to be from NSW since 2013 but I don't know if he'd combine well with Reynolds. Adam brings a lot of the same attributes as Maloney but he hasn't been the same player since 2014 and seems even more limited. That's especially true if the Blues opt to go with a spine that includes Coote and Ennis. Both those players already possess a strong short kicking game, negating the effectiveness of what Adam bring to the table.

So I can at least see the logic in going with Pearce since he compliments Maloney better. However, NSW can't keep picking a bloke who has failed in every single series he has participated in. So they need to look elsewhere and take an educated risk. So if I was picking today, my #7 would be Aidan Sezer who is tougher than Reynolds, does a better job of creating space for his outside men, has a smarter kicking game and can play pressure football if needed.

The Blues don't need anybody too fancy, just somebody who can create space so that guys like Coote, Ferguson, Dugan and Jennings can shine.

Use are probably gonna laugh but could Chad Townsend be a smokie this year?

Use are probably gonna laugh but could Chad Townsend be a smokie this year?
Use are probably gonna laugh

3AEaotq.gif

i dont see whats so wrong with putting it out there that Chad Townsend may be a chance this year?

I wouldn't put it past them, and I'm sure they've had a look, but I can't see it. I think the GIF is in response to yousing the wrong word at the start of each sentence :typing:

I wouldn't put it past them, and I'm sure they've had a look, but I can't see it. I think the GIF is in response to yousing the wrong word at the start of each sentence :typing:

Using* :typing:

However, NSW can't keep picking a bloke who has failed in every single series he has participated in.

I wouldn't put it past them to do it, especially with the Roosters troops back and Pearce spearheading their comeback.

They may be seduced by some good club form, considering no other half bar Maloney has showed anything of late.

I wouldn't put it past them to do it, especially with the Roosters troops back and Pearce spearheading their comeback.

They may be seduced by some good club form, considering no other half bar Maloney has showed anything of late.

Of course he is going to be selected. If they were thinking of going in a different direction this year then they would have "banned" him after he humped a dog and pissed his pants as a token punishment to show how tough they are on bad behaviour. As soon as he recieved no Origin ban I knew he was a lock in.

While bboy clearly may need to pay closer attention in English class, I don't think his nomination is that far-fetched. Of all the NSW halves, I could see the argument based on form. In fact, I believe he's had a bigger influence than Maloney and the team actually looked better when they had a Bird/Townsend combination against the Titans.

Then again, while he maybe in form, he just doesn't have the talent to back it up. Even on his best days, his performances are littered with errors and there's a big difference between Sunday afternoon footy where you can play razzle dazzle offload at will football and Origin.

At this stage, I don't think there's any bad answers. Even Hodkinson has Game II 2014 on his side and that's certainly an advantage over others.
[MENTION=7803]Broncoman[/MENTION] who would your halves be?

Howdy fellas - I've been a lurker for a while thought I'd sign up and add my 2 cents here and there..As a QLD fan I hope they pick Pearce and I'm almost certain they will. You would think winning a series for the first time in nine years without him was good enough cause to drop him for good, but no...Daley has a hard on for him.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • NSW stables
  • Aldo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Kev_Guz
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • azza.79
  • Swordfish
  • Wolfie
  • Foordy
  • Battler
  • pennywisealfie
  • The True King
  • Broncosgirl
  • Tmac
  • broncsgoat
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.