Manly fined for having 14 men on field.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
MANLY have been slugged with a $5000 fine for momentarily having 14 players on the field during the NRL club's 34-14 win over Gold Coast at Skilled Park on Friday.

The breach occurred in the 57th minute when two players were correctly interchanged at the same time.

But according to the Sea Eagles, the wrong player left the field and he immediately returned without the permission of the interchange official.

This resulted in a 14th player being on the field for just a few seconds as another player left the field behind the dead ball line.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html

Personally, i don't think that this fine is fair.

In 2005, when the Broncos had 14 men on the field, Webcke was badly concussed, in the hands of 2 trainers and 40m behind play. in this instance the Broncos were firstly docked their 2 points from the win, then on appeal they got their 2 points back but were still hit with a $75 000 fine. compare that to Manly who have 14 men on the field and only get hit with a $5000 fine. ($70 000 less than what the Broncos were fined.

HOW IS THAT FAIR!!! [icon_thumbs_do [icon_non

Yeah, I had the same reaction, was about to start firing off emails to NRL headquarters lamenting their inconsistency, their hypocricy, their stupidity and then just realised nothing would come of it and I wasted brain cells.

The NRL is the punchline to a sick joke nobody thinks is funny.

Because you see broncos are richer so they fine them for more... Fucking NRL management, disgrace.

BTW, Is it just me or does it feel wrong when no advantage was gained to fine them?(broncos as well) I mean a few seconds behind the dead ball line, BIG WOOP!

While I agree the difference in the 2 penalties is ridiculous, I think the Manly one is much fairer given the infringement. We often talk on here about if a particular player one week gets an overly excessive suspension if they give a lower but fairer suspension to another player for the same thing the next week then it's a good thing that the judiciary has learnt from their mistake and is being more realistic with their sentencing. Same goes here - NRL has made a better decision in this instance because the one in the Broncos situation was completely over the top and should never be repeated

Thing is after the Broncos had their appeal, the judgment specifically said that under NO circumstances can 14 players on the field be excused and ALL future infringements should be met with a 2 point penalty.

And yet here we are!

Not fair on us, but (dare i say this) the NRL has been sensible about this one. *shudders*

Hammo said:
Not fair on us, but (dare i say this) the NRL has been sensible about this one. *shudders*

Agree I think it was the right decision here. Just because one team was treated unfairly a few years ago doesn't mean another team should be the victim of the same incompetency.

It's just like when people said to be "How did Luke O'Donnell get sent off for an elbow in the face when Hodges stayed on the field for a spear tackle?" You can't make a ruling based on an incorrect one.

Don't get me wrong, I am still majorly pissed off [icon_wink

Problem is we also whinge about consistency, and then they make this ruling which is totally inconsistent!

Coxy said:
Problem is we also whinge about consistency, and then they make this ruling which is totally inconsistent!

For sure. Couldn't agree more, but the NRL should cop the punishment for that, not Manly. But who is gonna punish the NRL [icon_non

Hammo said:
Maybe ask Steve Price to visit Gallop?

But who would be the CEO of the NRL after that? [icon_razz1

Before Steve Price charges down his opponents to death, he makes the claim, "there can be only one."

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Broncosarethebest
  • thenry
  • FACTHUNT
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Jason Simmons
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.