Manly To Play Out of Sunshine Coast in 09

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
In todays paper there was mention of Manly Looking to move to the Sunshine coast and Start by playing some home games there Next year.. cant find the link but it is in todays paper

just shows manly are prepared to do whatever they have to to stay alive.. other clubs should pay attention

Where abouts will Manly play ?? Is there a decent ground up there ??

Kawana Stadium is getting a $22million dollar facelift and thats where they will play out of

The Rock said:
Maybe the NRL needs a team in the Sunshine coast. I don't know much about the Sunshine Coast and whether or not it could be a successful build up there, but just throwing it up considering it's almost a certainty that a few NRL teams will collapse in the next few years.

I'm not as knowledgable as others on this sort of thing (expansion, whether a team will come or go etc) but I can't see a Sunshine Coast team in the short term. They are probably just looking at the success of the Titans and thinking to themselves that they will be able to do it as well.

Sunny Coast is still awesome though, football team or not icon_thumbs_u icon_thumbs_u

They will play at stockland park, Manly played Warriors there in this years preseason. Don't think Sunny Coast is ready to support a team tho!

all the nrl has to do is make sure the south east gets a game of league every week. spread the 3 teams out so at least one of them plays at home every week could be very successful

Sunshine Coast is growing very rapidly. Lots of young families. Very healthy local and junior league there.

But still, not sure it can support a team. I'm still not convinced Gold Coast can support the Titans long term either.

At least Manly are acknowledging that they will die if they stay in Sydney so need to look at options.

That would be cool I am up their every other weekend it seems, you can really see how the region has grown in the past 10 years both in population and urban development/modernization.

Its a changing climate in league and clubs will have to do what they have to do to survive.

The Sunshine Coast have a fairly strong local comp but they dont even have a team in the QLD Cup! At least the Gold Coast had a couple of teams in the QLD Cup for a number of years before they came back into the NRL

Would Queenslander's be able to forget their pure hatred for the sea eagles quick enough for this to work?
I'm not sure they will.

SSS said:
Would Queenslander's be able to forget their pure hatred for the sea eagles quick enough for this to work?
I'm not sure they will.

If it's bringing in the $$$, we can forget for a little while.

Yeah, and I honestly don't think the hatred for Manly is anywhere near what it once was. Thank Super League for that. Their post-SL incarnations have been fairly weak and ordinary. So much so that unlike pre-Super League when any of their players would make rep teams no matter how crap they were (John Hopoate anyone?), they now can't get genuinely good players into the rep teams.

Coxy said:
Yeah, and I honestly don't think the hatred for Manly is anywhere near what it once was. Thank Super League for that. Their post-SL incarnations have been fairly weak and ordinary. So much so that unlike pre-Super League when any of their players would make rep teams no matter how crap they were (John Hopoate anyone?), they now can't get genuinely good players into the rep teams.
the Sharks are the new Manly...

It's nothing new though. Whichever club has the Test coach gets favoured in selections. It's why I think representative coaches should not be affiliated with NRL clubs.

I live on the Sunshine Coast and think it could easily hold a NRL team. Quad park (now known as Stockland Park) has been where Manly have played their pre season games for the last 2 years and its going to be like a home ground for them. I think they were going to build a big stadium there which would be great because it's next door to my school and like 2 mins from home :D
I want a Sunshine Coast team!!!

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Dash
  • phoenix
  • Foordy
  • kiwibronco
  • Fitzy
  • Wolfie
  • porouian
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • Brotherdu
  • Sproj
  • Midean
  • Ondi
  • Scdeac
  • Johnny92
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.