Maroons need new blood: Gillmeister

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
A YEAR ago Anthony Milford and Ben Hunt were slapped with 12 month State of Origin bans.

Now Queensland great Trevor Gillmeister believes the Maroons must embrace the Brisbane pair this year to plan for life after Johnathan Thurston. Inspirational halfback Thurston recently confirmed he would retire from representative football after the 2017 season.

Gillmeister said the time was right for the Cowboys great to groom Hunt and Milford at the Maroons.
They have come a long way since being among eight players suspended for breaking curfew at a 2016 Emerging Maroons camp.

“The best thing about Queensland is that Hunt and Milford are coming through,” Gillmeister said.

“It’s about getting them at the right time when the experienced guys are around them because it’s a transition period to be done there.

“Origin is so tough I can understand John doing that (rep footy retirement) — he has put his heart and soul into that for a long time.

“He will be hard to replace but there will be some young guys coming through.” Gillmeister still thought Milford needed to find another gear for Brisbane this year — his last NRL season with the Dragons-bound Hunt.

“I think he (Milford) is a confidence player and once it is up he is hard to stop,” Gillmeister said.

“But Brisbane need him to stand up this year and be a bit more dominant, demand the ball.

“I know he likes to play off the top of his head but I think he needs to be more forthright when he wants the footy.”

Halfback Hunt recently confirmed he had signed a five-year, $6 million deal with St-George Illawarra from 2018.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/a48dd7af97b4e22489a81cd4aa2c1e49

I'd be all for Hunt and Milford in 18. It's great! We don't lose both halves during origin but QLD will benefit from them playing together at the broncos. Win win

No, No, No, No and No. Hunt should not be allowed anywhere near a QLD Jersey. Ash Taylor should replace JT and Michael Morgan at 5/8. Milford is yet to have a consistent season and does not deserve the Maroon Jersey yet.

Da ****?
Milford is ready made for origin. Just needs a suitable organiser. Milford and Cronk would be just as deadly as Cronk & Thurston

Da ****?
Milford is ready made for origin. Just needs a suitable organiser. Milford and Cronk would be just as deadly as Cronk & Thurston
Please don't try and put Milford on the same level or even same stratosphere as Thurston.

Being the Broncos 5/8 does not automatically mean you are good enough to play for QLD, it used to, because Broncos had the best players in the world, not the case these days.

Please don't try and put Milford on the same level or even same stratosphere as Thurston.

Being the Broncos 5/8 does not automatically mean you are good enough to play for QLD, it used to, because Broncos had the best players in the world, not the case these days.

But logic would dictate that Ash Taylor is comparable to JT? Troll much?

But logic would dictate that Ash Taylor is comparable to JT? Troll much?
Ash Taylor has more skill and potential than Milford and Hunt combined.
P.S. If you disagree with a post, don't call it a troll, rather come up with a decent argument as to why my comment is not to your liking. Throwing the troll card is the lazy way of saying you disagree but do not have the substance to support your reason why.

P.S. If you disagree with a post, don't call it a troll, rather come up with a decent argument as to why my comment is not to your liking. Throwing the troll card is the lazy way of saying you disagree but do not have the substance to support your reason why.

Get-The-****-Out.gif

The bolded just made the argument for me. That is ridiculous. That may be your opinion, but I can't see how you can justify that stance. Hence the unbelievably of your claim. Hence troll. That's simply the conclusion I have come to.

Based on what? Maybe he has more potential than Hunt, certainly not more than Milford. As for skills? That's pretty subjective, but he's certainly not ahead of either one of them at this point in time.

Are you drunk

Milford is a freak something you can't teach, he only needs a few more basics skills, experience and he can be the next Lockyer.

You can't compare Milford to Taylor. Completely different styles of play and completely different strengths, which is why I think they would complement each other so well.
If both deliver on their promise and potential, Qld (and hopefully the Broncs) will have a dominant halves pair for a decade!

That said, Milford is a freak and well ahead of Taylor at this time, let's not be silly.

From memory (and I'm old so happy to be corrected) both Cronk and JT won't be retiring until after the 2018 series al least why don't just waiting see what happens in the next 2 years. All 3 will / should be in the emerging squad so they get to hang and learn from the best.

From memory (and I'm old so happy to be corrected) both Cronk and JT won't be retiring until after the 2018 series al least why don't just waiting see what happens in the next 2 years. All 3 will / should be in the emerging squad so they get to hang and learn from the best.

Thurston is retiring this year from rep.

No, No, No, No and No. Hunt should not be allowed anywhere near a QLD Jersey. Ash Taylor should replace JT and Michael Morgan at 5/8. Milford is yet to have a consistent season and does not deserve the Maroon Jersey yet.

Ash Taylor deserves an Origin jumper ahead of Milford?

That'll do me

Haha ! Hunt and Milford combined .... you sir are definitely trolling or have no idea . Big fan of ash but that is just ridiculous!

Unread

Active Now

• Gaz
  • phoenix
  • Foordy
  • TimWhatley
  • inwyn
  • Fozz
  • Xzei
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Johnny92
  • Purple Pills
  • Skyblues87
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Reds2011
  • Alec
  • broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
  • Behind enemy lines
  • bb_gun
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.