NEWS Matt Gillett Retires

Gillett should have all his money covered by the medical retirement, Sam Burgess on the other hand, i'm not so sure. His doctors said it would be a long 2 year rehab process. But they did say he could play again. Add to that the footage of girls on his shoulders, and the recent news of domestic violence chargers, I think the NRL should play hardball with him a bit.

“I injured my shoulder late in the season which was something that was playing on my mind. Once the season was finished I went and got scans," Gillett said.
"It showed there was a large amount of damage in my right shoulder. The shoulder is beyond repair.” - Gillett

Surely it is pretty straight forward for the NRL on this one.

Was that the same shoulder he got the reconstruction on? If so, he won't qualify.

Certainly don't want this thread to de-rail into another Darius Boyd argument, especially as it should be about Matt Gillett and his wonderful career and service to the club.

That said, people comparing his retirement to Darius Boyd and arguing that Darius should take note really aren't being entirely fair here. (I should say from the start I wholeheartedly believe he should retire though)

Gillett is free to retire with a full payout that does not impact our salary cap because it is a medically forced retirement. It's not a form issue, it's an injury issue that he cannot overcome, although arguably his form hasn't been great this season either.

In no way should this diminish the courageous decision taken by Gillo, but it is obviously much easier to retire when you are still able to be paid your full salary and you know that it will not negatively impact your team going forward.

Contrast this to Darius, who obviously is terribly out of form, more so than Gillett was, but is unable to apply for a medical retirement at this stage. The decision for him then becomes walking away from more than a million bucks simply for the good of the team. There is no way for Brisbane to get out of making this payment without it impacting their salary cap at this stage.

So whilst I agree that I'd prefer to see him retire and that he likely doesn't have anything left to offer or to prove in a Broncos jersey, I do think it needs to be said that the options for him are far harder to swallow than the opportunity that Matt Gillett and the Broncos got on this occasion.

Gillett should have all his money covered by the medical retirement, Sam Burgess on the other hand, i'm not so sure. His doctors said it would be a long 2 year rehab process. But they did say he could play again. Add to that the footage of girls on his shoulders, and the recent news of domestic violence chargers, I think the NRL should play hardball with him a bit.

Did no one read NRL Physio's comments on this? Having someone on your shoulders is very very different to tackling 100kg+ players 30+ times a week. As for the DV charges, it's just stupid to hold that against him in this case. It has nothing to do with his shoulder situation.

difference between boyd and gillett is the latter's body is no longer willing but the mind is.

boyd, neither the mind nor the body are willing.

sad to go out this way, it does underline that it's a short career and players do need to be mindful of making the cash regardless of fans opinions - both burgess and gillett retired this week and they're both just in their very early 30's - both wouldve expected to play another 3-4 years.

Last edited:
How much was he on a year if I may ask?

Last edited:
Did no one read NRL Physio's comments on this? Having someone on your shoulders is very very different to tackling 100kg+ players 30+ times a week. As for the DV charges, it's just stupid to hold that against him in this case. It has nothing to do with his shoulder situation.
Of course it is very different, it just doesn't send a good message. For the DV charges, he shouldn't be paid out in full immediately. He has 3 years remaining on his contract and the money should be distributed over those three years. If he is found guilty of domestic violence, that would have resulted in the termination of his contract. So, if for arguments sake in 6 months or a year he is found guilty, he should stop receiving payments. Not take all the money now and run.

Yeah I can understand the Eastwood comparisons but I’d argue that Carroll it probably the better comparison. And if you are choosing out of Carroll and Gillett, you’d surely go Carroll.
[automerge]1572484176[/automerge]

Yeah he falls just short in my opinion but he would be in discussions, surely.

may be the emotion getting the better of me but I have him over Thaiday and Tunza.

Gave everything to the club and played on with a broken neck despite being in obvious pain. Fans could question his form, but could never question his dedication.

I remember his debut game against the Cowboys. All eyes were on Corey Norman at fullback, but Matt Gillett off the bench was a revelation. He made a seamless transition from Qld Cup Five Eighth to loose backrow and played an important role in the game deciding try.

The memory that sticks out to me was another unfortunate moment in Broncos history - Yow Yeh's last game. Souths were all over Brisbane and with Jharal off it appeared it was going to be one of those nights for the Broncos. Then right before half-time, Matt Gillett made it his own personal mission to inspire the troops and started laying on some of the biggest hits of the season. He was the one player who didn't take a backwards step and the team got on the back of his good work. In such trying circumstances, it always stuck with me.
Thanks for that Big Pete.
I'd forgotten he played 5/8th before transitioning to the back row.

I was at the game in Perth, terrible injury which could be heard by some spectators.
Destined to be one of the greatest before that fateful night.

Watching Gillett in that press conference you can see how hard a decision it was for him, he was mentally still upto the task of playing on but his body wasn't and as tough as a decision it was for you Matt he made the right decision, your future is more important. On behalf of all Broncos and league fans in general, you are a credit to your club, your state, country and the game in general, you will be missed.

Last edited:
**** just tried to watch his presser. I’ll have to wait, can’t be seen crying at work

Based on what exactly?

We can start with consistent effort and go from there...

I think Gillett was more a more skillful player, and a guy who often seemed tireless out there, especially when his team needed something special. He just offered a lot more overall than Thaiday, who'd be good for one or two big games a year but otherwise seemed to coast, never really seemed to have the same kind of fire or determination, and got by a lot on reputation, which probably helped him earn a lot more rep jerseys then he was perhaps deserving of.

This is not to say I think Gillett would make an all-time team, but on my list he'd be well above Thaiday.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Sproj
  • bert_lifts
  • Rambstien
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • broncos4life
  • Galah
  • broncs30
  • Alec
  • phoenix
  • Financeguy
  • Redux
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Justwin
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.