NEWS Matt Lodge is all out of bubblegum

An enduring theory among NRL journalists is that Kevin Walters needs to offload a middle forward to free up some cap space. Top of that list would be Matt Lodge, who is hoovering around $750k (~ 4 million Dobbobux) a year until 2022, with a two year option to extend. Matt has done nothing wrong, but is nonetheless pestered on how he'd like to be sold at a slave auction:

“It’s up to the Broncos what they want to do. To be honest, it‘s out of my hands. I’m just focused on playing good football, I have a contract here ... you have to ask them where things stand.”

“I’ve never lacked any confidence. That (last week‘s game) is the first time I’ve put three games together in nearly two years. I was just playing busted and playing with a broken leg, but I’m at a stage in my life where I don’t care about criticism. I’m in a happy place and I love playing footy so the more I’m on the field the better my match fitness gets and the more I enjoy it. I can now start doing my job for the team and keep building on it."

“Being a senior forward leader is kind of a made-up thing. I’m 25 years old, I missed four years of NRL. I‘m still learning my trade. I don’t want to be that big figure that leads everyone. I just want to do my job.”

Cowboys livestock baron Micheal Luck rules out a move north:

“We won’t be signing Matt Lodge. We are looking at other areas of our roster.”

Pjimage 20

Looking elsewhere.

McHunt

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I don't understand... why is he vacuuming around his salary? Does he keep it at home in cash form and it's a dusty area?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I don't understand... why is he vacuuming around his salary? Does he keep it at home in cash form and it's a dusty area?
Perhaps he’s referring to J Edger and informing us of Lodge’s enjoyment of prancing around the house in women’s clothing.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Just smash those Eels tonight and leave the journos to write their BS Lodgey. I'm hoping the time for talk is well and truly after last week.

Hope to god we get to see Paulo at least attempt to put boot to ball in the PTB tonight.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Lodge doesn’t want to be a leader? Well I guess that goes with the rest of the side’s mantra from the Thaiday days: Give it to Macca, he’ll know what to do.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
You can only shop things around that people want to buy. Who is going to want to spend $600k on something that spits out errors like a home printer.

There would be teams willing to pay him 3-400k. He’s still young and has massive potential but needs old heads to show him the way. He’d kill it at any of the Roosters, Storm, Panthers or even the Titans.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Lodge doesn’t want to be a leader? Well I guess that goes with the rest of the side’s mantra from the Thaiday days: Give it to Macca, he’ll know what to do.
I thought that was a really bizarre line too (assuming it was correctly reported and not taken out of context or deliberately misquoted).

Seems self-sabotaging when he'd have to know he's probably in with a shot at the top job in under 12 months time.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
There would be teams willing to pay him 3-400k. He’s still young and has massive potential but needs old heads to show him the way. He’d kill it at any of the Roosters, Storm, Panthers or even the Titans.
Yeah for that sort of money I get it, but that still leaves us footing a good chunk of the bill - how much more can we go on continuing to run with a handicap on our salary cap from paying guys to play elsewhere?

As it stands right now we must have the best part of a million bucks on our cap running around for other clubs. It's no wonder our spine fucking sucks and we can't afford to improve it.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Yeah for that sort of money I get it, but that still leaves us footing a good chunk of the bill - how much more can we go on continuing to run with a handicap on our salary cap from paying guys to play elsewhere?

As it stands right now we must have the best part of a million bucks on our cap running around for other clubs. It's no wonder our spine fucking sucks and we can't afford to improve it.

I totally agree with this of course but I don’t really want to give up Flegler either, I have a gut feeling he’s a season away from arriving and when he does, we’ll regret letting him go. As good as Lodge was last week, I’d rather lose him before Flegler without even thinking twice.

That said, if Lodge can string together games like last week, that saves us needing to go to market for an experienced prop.

Even with upgrades to Flegler, Staggs, Coates, Dearden, Piakura, Herbie and Riki for next year, once we stop paying for Joffa, Bird, Macca, Milf and whoever else we are subsidising, we should still have enough for a marquee playmaker, Su’A/Capewell and at least Opacic.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Perhaps he’s referring to J Edger and informing us of Lodge’s enjoyment of prancing around the house in women’s clothing.
That'd be it. Thanks, I just didn't pick up on what he intended to convey.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I totally agree with this of course but I don’t really want to give up Flegler either, I have a gut feeling he’s a season away from arriving and when he does, we’ll regret letting him go. As good as Lodge was last week, I’d rather lose him before Flegler without even thinking twice.

That said, if Lodge can string together games like last week, that saves us needing to go to market for an experienced prop.

Even with upgrades to Flegler, Staggs, Coates, Dearden, Piakura, Herbie and Riki for next year, once we stop paying for Joffa, Bird, Macca, Milf and whoever else we are subsidising, we should still have enough for a marquee playmaker, Su’A/Capewell and at least Opacic.
I don't believe the cap situation is as dire as many apparently do. Yes, we are paying a few hundred thousand out but we were paying the full amount previously. The savings allowed us to pick up a few useful players like Mead and Levi. We needed a bit of extra cover in those areas and I personally like Mead and what he's brought to the club.

I think Lodge will play elsewhere next year especially if he keeps putting good performances like last week. In 2022 we will have $1.6 million in two players , Milford and Lodge and that's assuming Lodge does receive an offer externally. When you consider Te'o and Glenn are retiring(at least from the Broncos) theres a further 600k. So, if we aren't subsidising Macca and Joffa then we have a minimum of 2.9-3.0 million extra. Oh, did I forget Bird? No matter, we will be strong in the market.

The ones we have playing in 2022 will be the ones we(KW and the brains trust) want here and the gaps we can afford to fill. Exciting times I feel. I haven't given up on this season either but really hope we get going tonight. A little luck would be nice too.

A

Achilles

Aug 20, 2019
I thought that was a really bizarre line too (assuming it was correctly reported and not taken out of context or deliberately misquoted).

Seems self-sabotaging when he'd have to know he's probably in with a shot at the top job in under 12 months time.
He's been the best candidate for the top job for the past two to three seasons. Seibold wanted it to happen when he arrived, but clearly the board don't have (and never will have) the stomach to give him the captaincy. Lodge has now taken it off the table so it's no longer a talking point or distraction for the team. Selfless move really, of course he'll continue to lead where it matters, on the field!

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
A fit lodge playing like he did last week I don’t want to lose and especially if we have to chip in to see him off. Yes he’s on too much but when he runs with anger he gets the rest of the fellas going. He could be our version of JWH but less grubby.

Flegler, flegler is the guy we need to **** off.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.