NEWS Matt Lodge is all out of bubblegum

An enduring theory among NRL journalists is that Kevin Walters needs to offload a middle forward to free up some cap space. Top of that list would be Matt Lodge, who is hoovering around $750k (~ 4 million Dobbobux) a year until 2022, with a two year option to extend. Matt has done nothing wrong, but is nonetheless pestered on how he'd like to be sold at a slave auction:

“It’s up to the Broncos what they want to do. To be honest, it‘s out of my hands. I’m just focused on playing good football, I have a contract here ... you have to ask them where things stand.”

“I’ve never lacked any confidence. That (last week‘s game) is the first time I’ve put three games together in nearly two years. I was just playing busted and playing with a broken leg, but I’m at a stage in my life where I don’t care about criticism. I’m in a happy place and I love playing footy so the more I’m on the field the better my match fitness gets and the more I enjoy it. I can now start doing my job for the team and keep building on it."

“Being a senior forward leader is kind of a made-up thing. I’m 25 years old, I missed four years of NRL. I‘m still learning my trade. I don’t want to be that big figure that leads everyone. I just want to do my job.”

Cowboys livestock baron Micheal Luck rules out a move north:

“We won’t be signing Matt Lodge. We are looking at other areas of our roster.”

Pjimage 20

Looking elsewhere.

McHunt

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
If it does void the player options, it would be a good move.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
If it does void the player options, it would be a good move.
I wonder if we'll ever find out how they got Boyd to quit a year early? He could be on top dollar pissing about pretending he's trying to make the bench in the QCup right now.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
How the **** is he getting $700k a year? Fucking mind blowing.

because before the rules changed he was worth it.

in fact i still think he is. he just needs some consistent game time under these rules to adapt, which he hasn't really had yet.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
because before the rules changed he was worth it.

in fact i still think he is. he just needs some consistent game time under these rules to adapt, which he hasn't really had yet.
Yeah, not sure about that. He was good but not $700k good.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, not sure about that. He was good but not $700k good.

averaging 150m+ a game and 25 tackles a game was 700k good (in a 10 million salary cap) ... maybe we should only sign players to 1 year deals while Vlandys is in power ... just to be on the safe side

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
averaging 150m+ a game and 25 tackles a game was 700k good (in a 10 million salary cap) ... maybe we should only sign players to 1 year deals while Vlandys is in power ... just to be on the safe side
Fair point but he was also a penalty magnet and could come up with errors at crucial times. I'd still put that contract in the "fucked up" pile with Bird's, Boyd's, Macca's etc.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Fair point but he was also a penalty magnet and could come up with errors at crucial times. I'd still put that contract in the "fucked up" pile with Bird's, Boyd's, Macca's etc.

I'd give you Boyd's and Maccas in the fucked up pile.

Bird's was only fucked up dues to bad luck and the injuries he suffered.

Flegler's should be in the fucked up pile (if it's the 650k reported currently, less so if his upgrade included money for the year he signed which would take his contract down to 450-500k) ... but he could also be a victim of Vlandy's ball

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I'd give you Boyd's and Maccas in the fucked up pile.

Bird's was only fucked up dues to bad luck and the injuries he suffered.

Flegler's should be in the fucked up pile (if it's the 650k reported currently, less so if his upgrade included money for the year he signed which would take his contract down to 450-500k) ... but he could also be a victim of Vlandy's ball
450k for Flegler is and was too much. 650 is bordering criminal.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
And so it begins:

This is where we're at now. Cocky ***** like Penrith marching in and using our desperate cap situation to their advantage. "Oh yeah we'll have one of your better forwards, but only if you pay half".

It might be tempting to take them up on it, but personally I would be telling them to get fucked. Have Flegler for half his wage.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.