Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Matured Haas happy for Reynolds to lead team in 2022​

Alicia Newton
NRL.com Reporter
Tue 16 Nov 2021, 02:01 PM

He's been Brisbane's best player to take home the club's major award in the past three seasons but Payne Haas says Adam Reynolds is the man to guide the Broncos into a new era.

Haas, 21, has been earmarked as a captaincy option at Red Hill following the retirement of Alex Glenn but insists he's happy without the extra responsibility that comes with the role.

He said on Tuesday new recruits Adam Reynolds and Kurt Capewell were logical choices before steering towards the former Rabbitohs halfback.

Reynolds is yet to start training with the Broncos after his mammoth 2021 campaign with South Sydney but is expected to join his new teammates before Christmas.

"It would be an honour [to be captain] but I think we've got some pretty special leaders around here with Capes [Capwell] and Reyno [Reynolds] coming and with our young leaders like Patty [Carrigan] and Kotoni [Staggs]," Haas said.

"We need guidance on the park and in close games in the past if we had someone like [Reynolds] we would've probably won those games.

"His guidance and experience is going to help us a lot. His kicking game stands out the most. You watch Souths' games last year he was winning games through his kicking game.

"I'm happy to keep focusing on my footy and keep improving. Hopefully in the near future, I just want to be a leader for the boys first on the field and take care of my off-field stuff."

After the birth of his first child, daughter Lalita in May, Haas said his maturity levels had grown from the person who has been in trouble with the law and NRL's integrity unit in recent years.

"Everyone knows some of the off-field stuff I've been through and what I've done," he said.

"I'm not proud of that but as long as I've learned from that it's all I can do.

"Having my daughter in my life now has changed the way I view life and it's been good.

"You be more careful what you do off the field. When you have a little one you want to do what's best for them and your partner."

Haas has responded well to an ankle injury suffered in the final round of the 2021 season against Newcastle to ensure he's available for the trials in February.

The NSW forward agreed with comments made by Broncos football director Ben Ikin recently that anything less than a top eight finish in 2022 will be deemed a step backward for the club.

"I believe we should think like that anyways but if you see how we finished last year it's a big improvement to the start of the year," Haas said.

"I think the top eight, if we don't go near that it's a failure. We're looking to strive for that and as long as we work hard we'll get there."

We're totally going to lose Payne to some obnoxiously huge deal at the end of his current contract and I am going to be royally fucked off about it for months afterward.

We're totally going to lose Payne to some obnoxiously huge deal at the end of his current contract and I am going to be royally fucked off about it for months afterward.

if we do, we do ... but we shouldn't let that scare us into paying big overs for Payne, especially when we are already talking about a deal of close to $1 million a season.

as we've found out in the last couple of years, Payne is a luxury (one we should definitely try to keep, just by offering a fair deal) ... he isn't an essential

After reading the article it gave me a good vibe Payne is seeing the clubs heading in a good direction and by the time he needs to sign we should be in a good position if all goes to plan.

I did not want to stir the subject up, but towards the end of the season when there was talk of extending his deal it was put on hold. The talk then was that it would be revisited during the off-season. So far there has been no mention of it.

I did not want to stir the subject up, but towards the end of the season when there was talk of extending his deal it was put on hold. The talk then was that it would be revisited during the off-season. So far there has been no mention of it.
No news is good news. Ikin and DD will not let Payne go, he is worth every dollar and more. He will be one of our most marketable player for years if he stays clean off the field and will only get better with age. He showed he has a bit of ball playing, if he develops a smart offload and picks the odd good pass, he will easily be the most elite forward in the game. I already rank him as the number 1 prop but if he adds a couple of strings to his bow, I think he'll be the best forward.

Say what you want about over paying props, but some are worth it. There's a reason WB went hard for Glenn Lazarus, without someone elite in the forwards you cannot win premierships. I see 1-7-8-9 as the most important positions in the modern game.

3A4611DA 43A7 4142 9DF6 BC8704CF3BF7

Yeah I'm not to concerned about it. We seem to be able to produce great forwards very consistently. Losing key spine players to rivals is the one that hurts the most because they are a lot harder to replace then forwards not matter how good the forward is.

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • NSW stables
  • scobie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Spooky1013
  • Old Mate
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.