McCullough deserves rep call-up

Sorry, but I'm just sick of you fellas bashing our players all the time. McCullough is the easily the second best hooker in the game. But according to yous he has slow service doesn't deserve rep jersey, is not an attacking player. I'm sorry but it does mine and other members heads in.

If everyone had the same opinion this forum would be pretty boring.

People have differing opinions. That's just the way it is.

Sorry, but I'm just sick of you fellas bashing our players all the time. McCullough is the easily the second best hooker in the game. But according to yous he has slow service doesn't deserve rep jersey, is not an attacking player. I'm sorry but it does mine and other members heads in.
This is a discussion forum about the Broncos... emphasis on discussion!

People will have different opinions about anything Broncos and rugby league in general, which is what generates debate. Some opinions will be controversial or even downright idiotic, while some topics can be polarising. Macca is one of those players that often draws criticism... undeservedly imo, but that is the perception of many people, whom are completely entitled to it.

If you're looking for a place where people trip all over themselves to idolise Broncos players, and where criticism is taboo, you're probably in the wrong forum.
Regardless, argue the opinion, not its author.

The point is, the Queensland team has a very specific formula that has worked for them for 10 of 11 series so far. With Cameron Smith, arguably the greatest player of all-time at dummy half, the selectors have rarely felt the need to select a back-up dummy half and have often selected a utility to come on and play as a loose forward. The only exception was in Game 1 2008 when the Maroons selected PJ Marsh as the back-up and even then I believe Smith stayed on the field.

So it isn't a matter of McCullough vs Friend vs Granville vs Segeyaro but rather which player can wear the most amount of hats, who can gel with the rest of the team and who can threaten the Blues more. In recent years, the answer has been Michael Morgan who benefited from JT's presence in the side (just like Karmichael Hunt benefited from having Lockyer there) and will in all likelihood retain his place even though he hasn't set the world on fire at representative level.

When Smith does step down either next year or the year after, McCullough has as good a chance as any to replace him. It's going to be a tall order for anybody who comes in, but if Macca continues his run of form and can build on his efforts I'm sure he'll provide a decisive advantage over whoever the Blues select (Peats? Koroisau? Brailey? Liddle?...)

If Smith gets injured on Sunday night and is out of Origin Macca would definitely get selected and that's not just because Granville is injured also, but because he is a better player. Even if Smith isn't injured McCullough should be the 18th man in Origin this year. As much as I reckon he is the Broncos most important player, he would be a wasted bench spot. I don't think Morgan is the answer, but the Maroons pick & stick.

At the end of the day, if one of our halves go down and Morgan is there, it's probably the difference between winning or losing. Morgan has the advantage of being able to play in the middle.

It's clear that Macca is the second best hooker in the game ATM, but that still won't stop QLD picking Friend when Smith retires. QLD has this weird obsession with sticking by players that WILL back fire big league when they lose their current legends.

I say they because I'm giving less and less of a **** about Origin as the years go by. It ruins the club comp for six weeks, and has the ability to ruin clubs' entire seasons with injuries or a run of bad form that drops them out of top four contention.

Macca has been improving each game. When he runs he is dangerous, his defence is exceptional. His kicking game offers another threat to the opposition. His conditioning is probably the best in the league apart from smith. We are very lucky to have him. I have been critical of one or two areas in his game but there small gripes as i have said before there overshadowed by his positives.

My opinion on this matter is that Mccullough deserves an origin spot but I would prefer If he didn't get picked

how about we wait and see what his form is like when Smith finally calls it quits. could be years yet.

Personally i don't think he has consistently shown he is origin standard.

Good club hooker for sure, but i don't think he is origin standard (although happy to be proven wrong)

there is nothing wrong with that though ... not every player on the roster can be origin standard (at least not unless we have a few boats lying around :P )

how about we wait and see what his form is like when Smith finally calls it quits. could be years yet.

Personally i don't think he has consistently shown he is origin standard.

Good club hooker for sure, but i don't think he is origin standard (although happy to be proven wrong)

there is nothing wrong with that though ... not every player on the roster can be origin standard (at least not unless we have a few boats lying around :p )
You've been proven wrong for years. He has been the 2nd best hooker in QLD for a while now. I want him in the squad. Maybe he could learn something from Smith in the camp. Like how to make yourself look better by utilizing forward passes without getting penalized for years on end.

It depends on what route the selectors go.

If they want to replace Smith, it's between Friend and McCullough.

If they believe that replacing Smith is futile and they need a change in direction than they may go with a two dummy half rotation with Granville sharing the duties with somebody else.

While McCullough has been one of the form dummy halves of the competition so far in 2017, I don't feel like the same could be said for 2015 or 16. I could see an argument for Granville, albeit it would come down to different philosophies.

He couldn't last the entire 80, but with the right rotation collectively he could add more than just going with a Macca or Friend.

The conversation probably isn't relevant until 2019 regardless, at which point Granville will be 30 & Macca/Friend there abouts. I'm sure one of them will serve as a stop-gap, but it's going to take a couple of series before Queensland find the heir apparent.

personally think Friend is still a better hooker but McC has played well this year. needs to keep doing what he's doing to put himself in the frame for life after smith.

Active Now

• Redfern_1980
  • FACTHUNT
  • Gaz
  • broncoscope
  • Redux
  • Sproj
  • porouian
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • Tim K
  • Johnny92
  • Culhwch
  • Howie
  • Mpost
  • winslow_wong
  • Hurrijo
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosMan
  • YeahNahMate
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.