OFFICIAL Michael Maguire Appointed Head Coach

Which players have improved since leaving the club other than Dearden and arguably Farnworth? Dearden was always going to be good but needed to get out of our dumpster fire at the time to do so. Farnworth was already great last year and has probably just been recognised for it more this year. Isaako was always a good winger but terrible fullback. Palasia, Capewell and Fifita haven’t really improved. Tanah Boyd has played NRL but not consistently. Gamble is the same. Coates has improved but he’s under Bellamy, who doesn’t improve under Bellamy? Flegs is quite likely finished.

Who am I missing?

Gamble

Agree with everything you've said apart from your last line. I don't blame Kev for the GF.

He's partly to blame.

His attitude regarding the errors we were making last year wasn't the right one. He had a "it's okay to make errors as long as you defend them" attitude and it played a big part in us losing the GF.

We lost that GF in the first half with the amount of extra defending we had to do due to our errors. 8 errors in that first half alone. We paid the price at the back end when we didn't have anything left in the tank to hold Penrith out.

Quotes below from Zac Lomax yesterday on Madge taken from FoxSports. The number of big name players all coming out recently confirming what a great coach he is from their origin experience. They can't all be wrong.

“Madge was unbelievable. He’s the best coach I’ve had, hands down,” he said. “I absolutely loved every second of it. “Madge, the best thing about him is he’s a good fella. He knows what the team needed. “His job… he just wanted to bring everyone together. The way he went about it was unbelievable. It’s the best thing I’ve seen. “He deserves every success that goes his way. “I’m sure he’s going to have a real successful stint at the Broncos, for sure".

Let’s hope his Rep footy coaching can translate to club land. Unfortunately his latest club footy stuff wasn’t the best but no doubt he’s developed a lot since then.

The key for him is that relationship with the players in particular our younger stars.

All the Walsh ego talk needs to be sorted one way or another asap. .

He's partly to blame.

His attitude regarding the errors we were making last year wasn't the right one. He had a "it's okay to make errors as long as you defend them" attitude and it played a big part in us losing the GF.

We lost that GF in the first half with the amount of extra defending we had to do due to our errors. 8 errors in that first half alone. We paid the price at the back end when we didn't have anything left in the tank to hold Penrith out.
I'll concede the errors, of course are why we had to withstand the pressure, and why we had nothing left at the end. In that case, maybe Kev is at fault for a small percentage.

He's partly to blame.

This is my take as well. My recollection is the same thing continued through the 2024 season with far too much footy being played in the Broncos half with teams parked inside our 20 for extended periods. It didn't seem to matter whether we were playing the top or bottom sides. This seemed like a major coaching fail that should have been fixed by Kev but it never happened. I'd be surprised if things don't change under Madge because Coaching 101 is to play footy at the other end as much as possible. It's a crucial part of the game.

Let’s hope his Rep footy coaching can translate to club land. Unfortunately his latest club footy stuff wasn’t the best but no doubt he’s developed a lot since then.

Because the players are running the Wests Tigers.

It was lead by Marshall etc. And look who's the coach of the Tigers Marshall & look how that's turning out.

I’d rather my fullback have painted nails and wear sunnies in dressing sheds rather than being ‘ill’ in a toilet cubicle with another player at a pub whilst their team is playing.

What !
His team mate was just holding his hand because he didn`t feel well .
I`d hope that if Walshy was feeling a bit off colour one of his team mates would assist him to a cubicle and supervise till he felt better . LOL .

Which players have improved since leaving the club other than Dearden and arguably Farnworth? Dearden was always going to be good but needed to get out of our dumpster fire at the time to do so. Farnworth was already great last year and has probably just been recognised for it more this year. Isaako was always a good winger but terrible fullback. Palasia, Capewell and Fifita haven’t really improved. Tanah Boyd has played NRL but not consistently. Gamble is the same. Coates has improved but he’s under Bellamy, who doesn’t improve under Bellamy? Flegs is quite likely finished.

Who am I missing?

Coates and Herbie have improved their biggest shortcomings since leaving. Coates was excellent at leaping athletically and dropping the ball. He had a poor carry out of trouble. Now he is a real aerial threat because he’s catching the ball from those athletic leaps. And his tough carries are excellent for a tall, lanky man.

Herbie’s biggest shortcoming for years has been his inability to find his winger when there’s been an overlap. He seemed perfectly capable of it this year.

Broncos broke Dearden, thankfully he was able to find a coach who simplified his game and now he’s one of the game’s elite running halves.

Sure it’s only three examples, but when those three have gone on to become amongst the best players in their positions it’s pretty damning.

The pressure we withstood in the opening was incredible. Reynolds is a big part of why we lost. Particularly that short drop out over the sideline.

In fairness, a big reason why we made the grand final.

Walsh standing behind the try line talking to the trainer on the 5th tackle was also decisive . Panthers scored while Walsh watched on .
It`s all good to be a genius with the ball in hand . But , there is also work to be done when your team hasn`t got the ball . Always remember that .

Because the players are running the Wests Tigers.

It was lead by Marshall etc. And look who's the coach of the Tigers Marshall & look how that's turning out.
Almost like you’ve not been around for our players playing a role in our coaching situation over the last 6 years.

Walsh standing behind the try line talking to the trainer on the 5th tackle was also decisive . Panthers scored while Walsh watched on .
It`s all good to be a genius with the ball in hand . But , there is also work to be done when your team hasn`t got the ball . Always remember that .
Agreed. Positioning and reading the opposition attack line is paramount for a fullback. Even Lockyer a regular 5/8th had to learn that when they eventually had him starting at fullback in the side fulltime there and it didn't happen overnight for him took a lot of hard work. For Walsh he will need to buckle down and work hard, it's all easy when the ball bounces your way but you really find out what a players made of when the opposition is asking tough questions on your defence.

Are you going for some kind of record for how many times you can post the same thing?

Are you going for some kind of record for how many times you can post the same thing?

If he is he's got a bloody long way to go ... The Billy Walters nepotism crew set that record ages ago and they're not done yet

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • leon.bott
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bongo
  • Fitzy
  • Robboi_321
  • Foordy
  • Gaz
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosMan
  • broncsgoat
  • sooticus
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • FACTHUNT
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.