NEWS Michael Maguire to coach Broncos

Not that you blokes care, but when we sacked JD there were polls run on a couple of our forums about who we wanted as coach. It was about 50/50% Madge v Uncle Wayne. There were a lot of supporters who would have welcomed Madge back with open arms, me being one of them. He may not be your 10 year coach, but then who is, apart from blokes like Bellamy.

You got yourselves someone who is very near that 'elite coach' status level in my opinion. Suporters from other clubs are already saying, "f#$*, the broncos are a threat again now next year".

Not my first choice but i'm happy enough based on the available options.

Of course i wish him well and look forward to what changes get implemented (expect some will seem good and some will seem bad) but i really hope we get off to a good start next year...if we are 0 and 5 i got no idea where we go next.

Not that you blokes care, but when we sacked JD there were polls run on a couple of our forums about who we wanted as coach. It was about 50/50% Madge v Uncle Wayne. There were a lot of supporters who would have welcomed Madge back with open arms, me being one of them. He may not be your 10 year coach, but then who is, apart from blokes like Bellamy.

You got yourselves someone who is very near that 'elite coach' status level in my opinion.
I think the reality is very few coaches are 10 year coaches. Most have a shelf life regardless of how successful they are. They eventually get stale or the players no longer buy in for whatever reason.

Bellamy and Robinson are the outliers really. Even Wayno has hopped from club to club since he left us the first time.

Those old boys are the only ones who know what success is for this club.
Not in the modern era they don't.

Are they though?

Depends how you want to look at it. Some will see it as a positive with the club being proactive while others will lean right into the theory that Kev was a dead man walking 8 weeks ago. Now, I have no problem with that at all, I'm happy to see the club being proactive and I don't care that he was a dead man 8 weeks ago.

Where it starts to smell is, 4 or so weeks ago, DD backed him (insert comment about full support of the board), then this review has happened which has apparently caused his demise. He also wasn't sacked, supposedly, and decided to step away. Terrible optics.

Not my first choice but i'm happy enough based on the available options.

Of course i wish him well and look forward to what changes get implemented (expect some will seem good and some will seem bad) but i really hope we get off to a good start next year...if we are 0 and 5 i got no idea where we go next.

You wanted Hook back, didn't ya mate. Might be time to change your profile pic...he isn't coming back.

Yeah funny that, amazing how successful a club can be when half the team are seasoned origin players... who knew..
Most of them only got picked for Origin because they played for the Broncos.

Depends how you want to look at it. Some will see it as a positive with the club being proactive while others will lean right into the theory that Kev was a dead man walking 8 weeks ago. Now, I have no problem with that at all, I'm happy to see the club being proactive and I don't care that he was a dead man 8 weeks ago.

Where it starts to smell is, 4 or so weeks ago, DD backed him (insert comment about full support of the board), then this review has happened which has apparently caused his demise. He also wasn't sacked, supposedly, and decided to step away. Terrible optics.
I dunno I find it all pretty standard from a sporting perspective. I'm used to seeing full support of the board and then a new manager parachuted in as far as European football is concerned.

They probably had feelers out based on how the season was going and DD is never going to come out and say yeah he's fucked but we're letting him play the season out.

The review by the independent guy was probably just the icing on the cake - yep, it's the right call. Maybe there was no way back regardless, but based on how it sounded and how Kev responded, it just further reinforced the decision to remove him. I don't really care about the was he pushed or was he sacked stuff, at the end of the day the result is the same.

Its going to be interesting to see if Madge has to call his own press conference to announce being appointed coach and buy his own shirts.

Yeah fair points. I guess at the end of the day, as much as I was willing to give Kevvie time, if it appeared it had become untenable (and given the defeats in the back end of the year, it certainly looked that way), I am ok with them pulling the trigger and not consulting the players first. I am ok with them announcing it when they did, I thought that was actually a smart move.

Doing it this way also takes the responsibility for the call off the players and removes them from the heat of what now appears to be an unhinged Walters and puts it on the board / CEO. Should the players have been forced to take some of the heat? Well you won't hear arguments from me there but I am ok with how it has mostly unfolded. Maguire, albeit not my preference, is an understandable choice for selling purposes to the players.

Maguire is a premiership winning coach, albeit ages ago, has recent form with origin and internationals. He is a 'hot option' right now, so it becomes an easier sell to the players that we have scored a coup here. I am ok with the bold risk DD has taken here, I hope it pays off and despite my reservations, I will always get behind my team.

It’s Official, the deal is sealed!!!
Maguire to broncos, I AM CIRCUMCISED!!! ✂️

Season 2 Reaction GIF by The Office

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • Johnny92
  • Dexter
  • Aldo
  • Redfern_1980
  • Allo
  • Tristan1990
  • Lostboy
  • broncsgoat
  • azza.79
  • Redux
  • Bongo
  • NSW stables
  • Gaz
  • kwomo
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • MaroubraBroncos
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.