Milford: I'm just getting started

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
ANTHONY Milford says Brisbane’s revamped offence can make him even more dangerous with the classy pivot vowing to attack at every opportunity this season.

In an assessment that will have opposition NRL teams nervous, Milford pledged to continue the aggressive attacking intent that made him Brisbane’s matchwinner on Thursday night.

With the Broncos clinging to a 20-18 lead, Milford tore the Sharks apart, straightening Brisbane’s attack with his speed and footwork to ice victory in the season opener.

Brisbane’s new assistant coach Jason Demetriou has implemented fresh attacking structures this season, with Milford and halves cohort Ben Hunt given a licence to thrill.

Milford amassed six tackle busts, two line-breaks and a try assist against the Sharks and says Brisbane’s new offensive style will suit him to the ground.

“My plan this year is to play direct,” Milford said.

“I just want to play to mine and the team’s strengths. If the forwards can move us forward, myself and the backs have to put us in the positions to score. I’ll keep building on this.

“It (Brisbane’s new attack) is pretty much all about playing to our strengths and that’s my running game.

“It’s something I’ve worked hard on in pre-season ... me, Andrew (McCullough), Benny (Hunt) and ‘Darbs’ (fullback Darius Boyd) need our combinations to work out.”

Milford, who created a try for James Roberts with a precision grubber kick behind Cronulla’s line, is confident he can replicate last year’s sizzling early-season form.

“I don’t feel any pressure at all from last year to be honest,” he said. “I just need to be consistent and play the best I know I can play.

“If it takes a while (to find his best form), it will take a while, but I will do what’s best for the side.”

Broncos recruit Benji Marshall has been mentoring Milford at training and believes the livewire No. 6 will go to another level under Brisbane’s rebadged attack.

Marshall worked with Demetriou at the Dragons last season and is adamant the assistant coach’s methods will suit Milford’s instinctive style.

“Jason wants us playing more what you see this year,” Marshall said.

“He wants players in motion, a bit of shape and the good thing about Jason is that he coaches a lot of play-what-you-see, don’t just do a play for the sake of it.

“This approach will suit ‘Milf’ and Hunty to a tee.

“At training, I’ve noticed they are playing a lot squarer and into the defensive line, for us it’s more effective when they do because Darius is the best in the business at exploiting three-on-two situations.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/1770f135b60fac6a6a15b5ef767b2cfc

Unread

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Cavalo
  • Hoof Hearted
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Alec
  • Bish
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • davidp
  • Kev_Guz
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.