NEWS Milford is back, baby

As Anthony Milford heaped sugar onto his Coco Pops Monday morning, he had no idea he was about to be tasked with his biggest challenge yet. To guide his former club, the Souths Magpies, to their first premiership in 13 years. Get along to Davies Park at 3PM today to see him in action:

“I didn’t know what to expect. We went through the video and he pointed out some things in my game I wasn’t doing well. I agreed. To hear I was dropped ... it was tough. I’ve never been in a position to hear those words, but I have to get over the fact I’ve been dropped and use it as a positive. I’ve always been a team-first player so whatever he thought was best for the team, I’ll accept it. While it’s disappointing, I’m hoping it’s a blessing in disguise.”

“I haven’t been up to the standards that I set myself and Kevvie’s as well. The truth is I need to be better. I have to be accountable.”

“I have some mixed emotions. Some nerves, but some excitement, too. I’m going to have a lot of family and friends coming to support me so I’m looking forward to playing some football."

HGlory Glory to the Magpies Front Cover

Glory is only the beginning

“I am pretty keen to get back to a club where I played Cyril Connell and Mal Meninga Cup. It’s not a new club for me. I will be going back to see some familiar faces and it’s a club I love because that’s where I started out. One thing I’m excited about is playing with Karmichael Hunt. Souths have a few ex-NRL players, Albert Kelly and Kevin Locke are there, so when I went to training on Wednesday it opened my eyes up to the quality of players there.”

“I’ll be honest, I’m not too sure what my future is at the Broncos. It’s out of my control really. I’m leaving the contract stuff to my manager and we’ll see what happens. In an ideal world, I want to stay. That’s what I hope. But I understand the Broncos have a lot of players off-contract and it’s hard to keep everyone. But just because I’ve been dropped, I’m not going to be one of those players who jumps on the phone straight away wanting a release."

“Kevvie has reassured me as well that he hasn’t given up on me. He told me to go and enjoy myself in Queensland Cup, get some confidence from playing there and then see how I go and try and find my way back into the team. I’ve copped it. I have to be better. I know there is a lot of noise around me, but I know I’m not done. I will be back.”

“I don’t look at my contract as a burden. It’s the nature of the beast. The scrutiny is what comes with playing football at this level. I am at a pretty powerful club at the Broncos and there is always a big focus on us. The Broncos expect to be in the finals every year and they expect to be winning more games than they lose. The year we made the grand final, it was a huge confidence thing for me."

Hmirifai   CMVyWpzHK5i

Won't let them down

“As a group, we had built a lot of momentum and there was a lot of self-belief and the team gave me the confidence to back myself. I did things that season that I didn’t think I was capable of doing because the self-belief in the team was so strong. For whatever reason over the past two or three years, I haven’t been able to perform consistently. It has affected my confidence.”

" Look, I’m not the best trainer at the club but I make an effort. I’ve always felt I’m a better player than a trainer. There have been a lot of great players over the years who weren’t the best trainers. One thing I know is I do care. I care a lot about winning games for the Broncos. Every game I go out there wanting to win. I’m not one to blame anything or anyone else for what’s happened. I’m not using injuries as an excuse. I’m not too sure how long I’m going to be at Souths Logan, but I want to get back in that Broncos jumper.”

McHunt

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
As you sow, so shall you reap. I still think my original theory is on the money.
Poorly educated athletic kid from poor background gets guaranteed rewards served on a platter and knows he doesn't have to do a damn thing extra to get it. In fact, after signing the big money deal complacency sets in and he does even less and is even called out by a guy with a similar life story for bludging.

What Milford has learned is that he cannot 'turn it on' anymore and make a token effort to get everyone off his back for a while. Seeplod was a coward and had he dropped Milford in the first 6 weeks of his first year we might never have ended up on the bottom. He would have shown backbone and everyone would know, play well or play ISC. Performance and attitudes might have changed I think.
Not sure what you are getting at TBH. Milford has played rubbish for a while now plain and simple....Its pretty cut and dry.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
I've always thought him to be decent and respectful, just a bit dopey and quiet:

I think it's an islander thing to show respect in those kind of ways. It doesnt surprise me as I work with Samoans.
They're not always angels but they are taught to show respect in their upbringing and religious convictions.
Those things are common and one of the things I love about their culture. Respect and small show signs of kindness they are big with. Diets less so.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
The way Milford played in 2015 is pretty much what we desperately want from a fullback in attack now. Getting the ball on the far edges with room to move and supporting ball carriers that look to offload the ball.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
That doesn't seem hugely likely?

Virtually every club already has a better Fullback than Milford except possibly us and at a stretch the Sharks and Dragons.
Milford would be a chance at being first choice #1 for Brisbane, Dogs and possibly Cowboys depending on how they want to structure it. He has a chance of making it in the halves for (depending other moves in off season) Sharks, Titans, Cowboys, Tigers and Warriors.

Most likely he needs to go to England.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Milford would be a chance at being first choice #1 for Brisbane, Dogs and possibly Cowboys depending on how they want to structure it. He has a chance of making it in the halves for (depending other moves in off season) Sharks, Titans, Cowboys, Tigers and Warriors.

Most likely he needs to go to England.

Milf and Barba have so many strange parallels on field. Namely that the broncos poached them at their peak and lower body injuries and forcing them to play roles they weren’t suited for stifled their form...and they both got fat. I could see Milf following Barba’s trajectory and playing the super sub role at a club like the Sharks.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
If he puts in a better performance this week and next I can’t see him being out of the team to much longer if Dearden and Croft continue to play like absolute plodders.
66 run metres between them last night, milf had 100+ by himself before he was dropped.

It wasn’t all their fault though when as someone wise once said it’s hard to compete with 40% of the ball and the team is completing at 50% however that’s seemingly not a factor to some people.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Milf wasn’t dropped because of how many metres he makes. It’s purely an attitude thing with him. He doesn’t care enough to be successful. You can’t give him his spot back unless he plays to first grade standard, not due to default. He’s not good for this team.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
So just read one of those clubs are circling articles. My bet would be only St. Merge are probably in the frame as Hook was the coach who actually got Milf to the Broncos. Maybe reuniting with Hunt would look appealing to Milf. That would round out the look of the St. George Illawarra Broncos nicely.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I've given Milford the benefit of the doubt for as long as I can remember, but those comments the other day about not being the best trainer, etc, said it all for me.

The bloke just doesn't care enough about winning or losing. There's no fire in the belly, and it sure as shit shows in his performances. He just goes through the motions.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
I've given Milford the benefit of the doubt for as long as I can remember, but those comments the other day about not being the best trainer, etc, said it all for me.

The bloke just doesn't care enough about winning or losing. There's no fire in the belly, and it sure as shit shows in his performances. He just goes through the motions.
Yeah tbh that was pretty disappointing. Like maybe that’s why you’re in reserve grade milf.
Sure there are players who have been good who weren’t the best trainers but they at least performed well on game day.
Novel idea, maybe try being the best trainer?!

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
So just read one of those clubs are circling articles. My bet would be only St. Merge are probably in the frame as Hook was the coach who actually got Milf to the Broncos. Maybe reuniting with Hunt would look appealing to Milf. That would round out the look of the St. George Illawarra Broncos nicely.
I don't think they need him though, Norman is better.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
He scored a try yesterday but so did a million others in a 60-10 win, haven’t seen any highlights so not sure of his involvement in other tries and the Qcup website has nothing on it

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
That’s pretty lazy from QRL. I can see why the Broncos may want to keep him out of the media spotlight, but surely the QRL should be promoting their product to some degree.

What more do you need than a game report at full time and highlights and stats the next day?

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Waynesaurus
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • Allo
  • whykickamoocow
  • mitch222
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • BooKhaki
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • IceWorks
  • Bucking Beads
  • Cavalo
  • BroncosAlways
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.