More NSWRL BS

The draw certainly worked out in the Warriors favour, but when I was doing my predictions, I had expectations of the Warriors starting 2-9. I thought they'd win their opening home games (Newcastle & Canterbury) but would lose the return games and they had some tough match-ups against the Cowboys (twice), Roosters (twice), Panthers, Storm & Sharks.

It only got slightly easier after the bye and I thought the match against the Broncos was an absolute gift from the NRL. That's where I expected them to go on a run and get the odd win against the grain (vs. Canberra, Souths) before coming back down to earth vs. Parramatta & Cronulla.

Their final five games were always going to be free (Titans, Dragons, Sea Eagles, Dolphins) but I also expected their season to be well and truly over by that point.

I think their luck turned when they got the Cowboys at a great time. They lost a few key personnel, were down on confidence and the Warriors capitilised denying them the space and out-enthusing them in the middle. That incredible comeback against the Sharks proved to be a pivotal win and a season defining effort from both teams. Finally the Bulldogs never got into gear as injuries really started to pile up, so that ended up being a walk in the park.

The other big win was Croker's 300th. That seemed tailor made for a Raiders win and while I expected at least one Warriors upset against the Raiders, I didn't expect it that evening and the Warriors really put their hands up that night.

The only other game that worked out their way due to scheduling was Parramatta when the Eels lost so many players to rep duty, otherwise I find it difficult to argue that they weren't the 4th most consistent team.

Then again I don't think a whataboutism is in order. Everyone knows this whinge about the Broncos draw is a big bunch of bull. It's just the Sydney press stoking the flames and creating that us vs. them divide. It's noticeable from up here, but it's not until you stay in Sydney you realise how prevelant it is.

I think they've played a bunch of decent teams at almost the best possible time. I know when they played us, I couldn't think of a better arrangement for them. During Origin, we were missing our pack, in NZ and they had just come off the bye. Yet they still lost. Then some of their fans had the nerve to suggest they were robbed when old mate pulled the jersey in the final moments.

Our draw has been the toughest of all the teams in the NRL. For good reason, the NRL takes games to QLD to reward the fans that pay the bills. If NSWRL want the same thing, start selling a brand of football that fills stadiums and stop relying on two for one ticket sales to fill stadiums.

I’m okay with the Warriors getting a good draw this year tbh. They sacrificed plenty over COVID, and the reality is, one team will get the easiest draw, so it may as well be them.
Oh no, they got to live in Brisbane. Poor fellas. Half of their team weren't even from NZ that year. Also very few people are questioning why they started winning almost immediately after their sponsor complained? Our game plan this week should be to shut down Shaun Johnson and their sponsors on Twitter.

Oh no, they got to live in Brisbane. Poor fellas. Half of their team weren't even from NZ that year. Also very few people are questioning why they started winning almost immediately after their sponsor complained? Our game plan this week should be to shut down Shaun Johnson and their sponsors on Twitter.
Because they went from playing Melbourne and Penrith back to back to the Bulldogs, Dolphins and Dragons not long after.

Can't really remember them getting too many calls either. The only game that comes to mind was the Manly game, but that happened months after the sponsors' complaints. It certainly didn't help Adam Pompey against the Broncos.

I think they've played a bunch of decent teams at almost the best possible time. I know when they played us, I couldn't think of a better arrangement for them. During Origin, we were missing our pack, in NZ and they had just come off the bye. Yet they still lost. Then some of their fans had the nerve to suggest they were robbed when old mate pulled the jersey in the final moments.
Yeah, I was just curious to see where the impression was coming from because I've seen it floating around but only saw it as sour grapes. The Broncos game was the only game at the start of the season I had down as an automatic win, and they blew it.

Looking back, getting the Cowboys in Round 3 and 7 was a gift, as was the Eels game as Parramatta had a higher contingent of representative players than normal.

Even then, I'm sure every club had at least four games that worked out in their favour. So I think it comes down to the amount of early rematches the Warriors had. Inside their opening 11 rounds, the Warriors had already played four rematches. That skews things and while they didn't all fall the Warriors way, it does skew things when they meet teams like the Dragons, Tigers, Titans and Sea Eagles and they're virtually out of the running.

My main thing with a draw is whether it was reflective of the regular season. Do you think Cronulla, Canberra, Sydney, Newcastle, Parramatta, Souths, North Queensland etc. were better? Of those teams, Souths had an opportunity to make that case but they peaked way too early and were exposed. That's just my take, maybe you see things differently?

Yeah, I was just curious to see where the impression was coming from because I've seen it floating around but only saw it as sour grapes. The Broncos game was the only game at the start of the season I had down as an automatic win, and they blew it.

Looking back, getting the Cowboys in Round 3 and 7 was a gift, as was the Eels game as Parramatta had a higher contingent of representative players than normal.

Even then, I'm sure every club had at least four games that worked out in their favour. So I think it comes down to the amount of early rematches the Warriors had. Inside their opening 11 rounds, the Warriors had already played four rematches. That skews things and while they didn't all fall the Warriors way, it does skew things when they meet teams like the Dragons, Tigers, Titans and Sea Eagles and they're virtually out of the running.

My main thing with a draw is whether it was reflective of the regular season. Do you think Cronulla, Canberra, Sydney, Newcastle, Parramatta, Souths, North Queensland etc. were better? Of those teams, Souths had an opportunity to make that case but they peaked way too early and were exposed. That's just my take, maybe you see things differently?
I'd suggest there were several teams better than Raiders... I thought Eels ended up being a bit unlucky.

They had a rough draw to start the year and ended up losing a lot of close games against tough opponents that would take energy out of them... only to back up the next week against another top team.

They ended up being one of the top attacking teams in the comp and were sitting with one of the best differentials for the majority of the year.

If they got one more win over the course of the year they'd be sitting 6th

Active Now

• Midean
  • Mighty Bronx
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Organix
  • Jedhead
  • Spike
  • Rowdy124
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.