More NSWRL BS

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I think I am getting grumpier in my old age. This rubbish narrative about the Broncos being favoured because they have only played in Sydney (Dean Ritchie) is really getting up my nose. The old fool on NRL 360 (Slothfield) just tried to suggest we had only played outside Brisbane 3 times this season.

This is the reality - Yes they had three games in Sydney, but they also played Parra in Darwin, Canberra in Canberra, Warriors in NZ and Storm in Melbourne. The whole narrative is deliberately misleading. Perhaps it should be asked how many times some of those Sydney sides have played outside of NSW this season?

27 rounds and 3 byes, so 12 games would be played by the Broncos at home in any event. There are three other Qld sides now, so three more games played in Qld. Magic Round the NRL has placed in Qld for all sides, so that is another game played in Qld. So in any normal season they would play 16 games in Qld. This season they played 17 and that was because South Sydney chose to bring one of their home games to the Sunshine Coast.

This type of false crap just annoys me. As if we have any control over where Souths, Parra choose to play their home game against us and the NRL chooses to play Magic Round.

Dean Ritchie, your article is completely misleading.

Perhaps it should be asked how many times some of those Sydney sides have played outside of NSW this season?
Someone on Reddit has done just that:
Sydney teams 2023 cities (regular season only):​
• Penrith: 15x Sydney; 2x Brisbane; 1x Bathurst, Canberra, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Newcastle, Redcliffe, Townsville
• Cronulla: 16x Sydney; 1x Auckland, Brisbane, Canberra, Coffs Harbour, Melbourne, Newcastle, Perth, Townsville
• Roosters: 16x Sydney; 3x Brisbane; 1x Auckland, Central Coast, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Newcastle
• Souths: 14x Sydney; 3x Brisbane; 1x Auckland, Cairns, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Perth, Sunshine Coast, Tamworth
• Parramatta: 17x Sydney; 2x Brisbane; 1xCanberra, Darwin, Melbourne, Sunshine Coast, Townsville
• Manly: 17x Sydney; 1x Auckland, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Mudgee, Newcastle, Wollongong
• Canterbury: 15x Sydney; 1x Auckland, Brisbane, Bundaberg, Canberra, Central Coast, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Newcastle, Wollongong
• St George Illawarra: 9x Sydney; 7x Wollongong; 2x Brisbane; 1x Auckland, Cairns, Canberra, Gold Coast, Redcliffe, Townsville
• Wests Tigers: 13x Sydney; 2x Brisbane; 1x Bathurst, Canberra, Gold Coast, Hamilton, Melbourne, Newcastle, Tamworth, Townsville, Wollongong

For reference the broncos breakdown is:
14x Brisbane, 3x Sydney (Penrith, Belmore, Cronulla) , 1x Gold Coast, Darwin, Melbourne, New Zealand, Sunshine Coast, Townsville, Canberra

So the only team that spent less time in Sydney compared to us in Brisbane were Wests... and then we were on par with Souths with 14 (because they went road tripping due to the women's world cup).

That's it... every other Sydney team spent more time in Sydney than we did in Brisbane

I think I am getting grumpier in my old age. This rubbish narrative about the Broncos being favoured because they have only played in Sydney (Dean Ritchie) is really getting up my nose. The old fool on NRL 360 (Slothfield) just tried to suggest we had only played outside Brisbane 3 times this season.

This is the reality - Yes they had three games in Sydney, but they also played Parra in Darwin, Canberra in Canberra, Warriors in NZ and Storm in Melbourne. The whole narrative is deliberately misleading. Perhaps it should be asked how many times some of those Sydney sides have played outside of NSW this season?

27 rounds and 3 byes, so 12 games would be played by the Broncos at home in any event. There are three other Qld sides now, so three more games played in Qld. Magic Round the NRL has placed in Qld for all sides, so that is another game played in Qld. So in any normal season they would play 16 games in Qld. This season they played 17 and that was because South Sydney chose to bring one of their home games to the Sunshine Coast.

This type of false crap just annoys me. As if we have any control over where Souths, Parra choose to play their home game against us and the NRL chooses to play Magic Round.

Dean Ritchie, that is where you stop reading or listening. The guy hasn't had a scoop or anything of relevance to say since...well ever.

Someone on Reddit has done just that:
Sydney teams 2023 cities (regular season only):​
• Penrith: 15x Sydney; 2x Brisbane; 1x Bathurst, Canberra, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Newcastle, Redcliffe, Townsville
• Cronulla: 16x Sydney; 1x Auckland, Brisbane, Canberra, Coffs Harbour, Melbourne, Newcastle, Perth, Townsville
• Roosters: 16x Sydney; 3x Brisbane; 1x Auckland, Central Coast, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Newcastle
• Souths: 14x Sydney; 3x Brisbane; 1x Auckland, Cairns, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Perth, Sunshine Coast, Tamworth
• Parramatta: 17x Sydney; 2x Brisbane; 1xCanberra, Darwin, Melbourne, Sunshine Coast, Townsville
• Manly: 17x Sydney; 1x Auckland, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Mudgee, Newcastle, Wollongong
• Canterbury: 15x Sydney; 1x Auckland, Brisbane, Bundaberg, Canberra, Central Coast, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Newcastle, Wollongong
• St George Illawarra: 9x Sydney; 7x Wollongong; 2x Brisbane; 1x Auckland, Cairns, Canberra, Gold Coast, Redcliffe, Townsville
• Wests Tigers: 13x Sydney; 2x Brisbane; 1x Bathurst, Canberra, Gold Coast, Hamilton, Melbourne, Newcastle, Tamworth, Townsville, Wollongong

For reference the broncos breakdown is:
14x Brisbane, 3x Sydney (Penrith, Belmore, Cronulla) , 1x Gold Coast, Darwin, Melbourne, New Zealand, Sunshine Coast, Townsville, Canberra

So the only team that spent less time in Sydney compared to us in Brisbane were Wests... and then we were on par with Souths with 14 (because they went road tripping due to the women's world cup).

That's it... every other Sydney team spent more time in Sydney than we did in Brisbane

How dare you bring cold hard facts to this argument! The Broncos had the toughest draw, they can't possibly be this good on their own merits, Kev can't coach, they must have gotten to stay in Brisbane most of the year, there's no other explanation...

How many of these teams have played in Brisbane this season?

Let's not forget, these are the same journo's and fox league that voted our schedule the hardest in the whole league before a ball was kicked.

We've done well so now all of a sudden we're protected.

The level of misinformation shits me off, but gotta try think less of what these morons say.

Fox League:
Analysis: The Broncos have the outright most games against top eight sides with 14 and the equal most games against top four sides with seven in a horror draw. The Broncos have the outright least amount of games against bottom eight teams with eight and the equal fewest games against bottom four teams with five. They also play top eight heavyweights the Panthers, Storm, Eels and Cowboys twice. If the Broncos are going to return to the finals they are going to have to do it the hard way.

Strengthschedule

NZ are getting a free pass because they've never won the comp. Everyone who has looked at their draw knows they've had a luxurious ride.

Essentially to compare us to Penrith, we have had 8 games where we have required flights to get home, the vast majority of those games at night as we barely play at day all year so it would have required us to stay overnight, and Penrith have had 6.

Sydney teams are all entitled ***** and should just stfu.

The draw certainly worked out in the Warriors favour, but when I was doing my predictions, I had expectations of the Warriors starting 2-9. I thought they'd win their opening home games (Newcastle & Canterbury) but would lose the return games and they had some tough match-ups against the Cowboys (twice), Roosters (twice), Panthers, Storm & Sharks.

It only got slightly easier after the bye and I thought the match against the Broncos was an absolute gift from the NRL. That's where I expected them to go on a run and get the odd win against the grain (vs. Canberra, Souths) before coming back down to earth vs. Parramatta & Cronulla.

Their final five games were always going to be free (Titans, Dragons, Sea Eagles, Dolphins) but I also expected their season to be well and truly over by that point.

I think their luck turned when they got the Cowboys at a great time. They lost a few key personnel, were down on confidence and the Warriors capitilised denying them the space and out-enthusing them in the middle. That incredible comeback against the Sharks proved to be a pivotal win and a season defining effort from both teams. Finally the Bulldogs never got into gear as injuries really started to pile up, so that ended up being a walk in the park.

The other big win was Croker's 300th. That seemed tailor made for a Raiders win and while I expected at least one Warriors upset against the Raiders, I didn't expect it that evening and the Warriors really put their hands up that night.

The only other game that worked out their way due to scheduling was Parramatta when the Eels lost so many players to rep duty, otherwise I find it difficult to argue that they weren't the 4th most consistent team.

Then again I don't think a whataboutism is in order. Everyone knows this whinge about the Broncos draw is a big bunch of bull. It's just the Sydney press stoking the flames and creating that us vs. them divide. It's noticeable from up here, but it's not until you stay in Sydney you realise how prevelant it is.

Is this true? We have the audacity to retain our players without helping our opponents in any manner? How disgusting. Hard to be a Broncos fan with behaviour like this.

Yet when Ben Hunt was linked to us searching an immediate release, the poor guys in all of it were the Dragons.

Cry me a fucking river.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Kev_Guz
  • Johnny92
  • bert_lifts
  • Skathen
  • Santa
  • ezpz
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Astro
  • Battler
  • Foordy
  • Tmac
  • Brocko
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.