Most iconic State of Origin game

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Thread is self explanatory.

What's your most iconic State of Origin game? Whether it's QLD or NSW, what is that game that made you watch in awe?

Miracle try 1994 gotta be. I only started watching the game in 92 but some of those old Wally Lewis highlights are great too!

I was thinking about chief Harragon and mark carrol rivalry earlier today and was wondering why no players wear the shoulder pads anymore? Were they outlawed?

I was thinking about chief Harragon and mark carrol rivalry earlier today and was wondering why no players wear the shoulder pads anymore? Were they outlawed?

They are still allowed, JT used to wear them but they were a very slim version compared to what you would see in the 80's, 90's.

I think players just don't wear them these days because maybe they are viewed as a bit restrictive or maybe it's the old "you're soft if you wear pads".. I don't know.

But that reminds me of Canterbury in the 80's. They used to swap their shoulder pads for hockey pads after the officials checked their boots and pads. And when they hit blokes, the hockey pads would cause it to hurt more.

2006 game 3. Lockyer pounces on a loose pass to begin the dynasty.

That was my first thought too. Locky swooping in on the errant Hodgkin pass is just iconic, the speed and the instinct turning the series on its head.

They are still allowed, JT used to wear them but they were a very slim version compared to what you would see in the 80's, 90's.

I think players just don't wear them these days because maybe they are viewed as a bit restrictive or maybe it's the old "you're soft if you wear pads".. I don't know.

But that reminds me of Canterbury in the 80's. They used to swap their shoulder pads for hockey pads after the officials checked their boots and pads. And when they hit blokes, the hockey pads would cause it to hurt more.

the girls wear the same ones I think - Black with fluoro green trim

Game 3, 2006.

origin was dead. Qld were never winning again. Price and civa were too old, Lockyer 6 experiment was over.

Toss up between 2006 game three, which defined the QLD spirit (which NSW think is a myth)

and 2011 game three, which imo is best opening thirty minutes ever played. Although some people forget the opening half in game one that year was very similar.

It was before my time but 1981 would be my pick. You had the Parramatta contingent wreaking havoc in the first half and taking NSW to a 15-0 lead. Only for Queensland to comeback on the back of a huge break which saw Choppy back-hand Grothe Sr. Queensland ended up making an epic comeback to win 22-15 and if you didn't know the name Lewis, you knew it now. I feel like Origin was made on the names like Lewis, Meninga, Choppy, Grothe, Sterlo, Cronin etc. and they were all on show.

As a fan coming through my go-to pick is Game III 2002. Not only was it the decider, but it was a game that had been years in the making. You had the rematch of Johns vs. Langer - Langer got the better of him in their last series in 1998 but Johns was an immortal in waiting so you had that classic master vs. the pupil dynamic. You also have the previous series where Queensland underwent an incredible overhaul and managed to pull off one of their finest series victories. However, NSW had only grown stronger in defeat and they were bringing back their greatest ever coach and their best player to seek revenge. So the build-up was fantastic.

Then you had the game itself with the lead constantly changing hands, some vintage plays like the ragdoll tackle from Tallis, Lockyer sliding on the ground to take a screamer of a grubber kick, Barrett charging at the line and bursting through and just so many quality talents on the show. Then of course there's the controversy where Lockyer was denied what would have been a classic try. Then NSW score one right at the death with Barrett once again playing a key role. Only for Carlaw taking a floated pass from Alfie to stick out the big fend on Moodie and charge through the line to score. There was also the drama with Tallis and the grubby NSW fan who had a sign about his mum in the stands.

There was just so much to dig into but at the end of the day it's what Origin should be. Big plays, big tackles, games going down to the wire and unlikely heroes etching their name into folklore. I didn't care if he played like 'Jane' Carlaw for the rest of his career, Dane was a made man after that.

It was before my time but 1981 would be my pick. You had the Parramatta contingent wreaking havoc in the first half and taking NSW to a 15-0 lead. Only for Queensland to comeback on the back of a huge break which saw Choppy back-hand Grothe Sr. Queensland ended up making an epic comeback to win 22-15 and if you didn't know the name Lewis, you knew it now. I feel like Origin was made on the names like Lewis, Meninga, Choppy, Grothe, Sterlo, Cronin etc. and they were all on show.

As a fan coming through my go-to pick is Game III 2002. Not only was it the decider, but it was a game that had been years in the making. You had the rematch of Johns vs. Langer - Langer got the better of him in their last series in 1998 but Johns was an immortal in waiting so you had that classic master vs. the pupil dynamic. You also have the previous series where Queensland underwent an incredible overhaul and managed to pull off one of their finest series victories. However, NSW had only grown stronger in defeat and they were bringing back their greatest ever coach and their best player to seek revenge. So the build-up was fantastic.

Then you had the game itself with the lead constantly changing hands, some vintage plays like the ragdoll tackle from Tallis, Lockyer sliding on the ground to take a screamer of a grubber kick, Barrett charging at the line and bursting through and just so many quality talents on the show. Then of course there's the controversy where Lockyer was denied what would have been a classic try. Then NSW score one right at the death with Barrett once again playing a key role. Only for Carlaw taking a floated pass from Alfie to stick out the big fend on Moodie and charge through the line to score. There was also the drama with Tallis and the grubby NSW fan who had a sign about his mum in the stands.

There was just so much to dig into but at the end of the day it's what Origin should be. Big plays, big tackles, games going down to the wire and unlikely heroes etching their name into folklore. I didn't care if he played like 'Jane' Carlaw for the rest of his career, Dane was a made man after that.

Locky should have taken the kick to win it.

For moments:

Tallis ragdolling Hodgson
Carl Webb's debut try
Billy Slater's individual try
Folau's impossible put down
Matty Bowen's clincher
Cronk's swinging field goal

The 1998 origin series is also still highly memorable to me. In my opinion it was the last of the old school origin era where Qld passion would win us the game/series. After that it started becoming more about elite players and footballing skills which isn’t a bad thing either.

The "that's a miracle" try will live with me forever.

Our TV antenna was bust that week and so we had the coax from the back of the TV on the floor with a coat hanger squeezed into the end. When we scored my next door neighbour jumped up and accidentally kicked the coat hanger across the room. We lost the picture for 5-6 seconds so it added to the drama.

And Fatty putting Sterlo on the spot for a comment when he was busy being sick as a dog with "What about that one Sterlo!" was priceless too.

For moments:

Carl Webb's debut try
Matty Bowen's clincher
One that always stuck with me was Game 1 2001, and Lockyer taking a regulation kick return in the 1st minute of the game and putting Tuqiri away on a long range linebreak and then backing up and scoring. After getting annihilated the year before they needed something like that.

Also the entire last set of 1998 Game 1, very underrated finish that one.

For moments:

Carl Webb's debut try
Matty Bowen's clincher

add in Alfie's comeback while playing in England

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Mr Fourex
  • Organix
  • kman
  • winslow_wong
  • mystico
  • Porthoz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • Xzei
  • cento
  • bazza
  • Justwin
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Strop
  • Broncosgirl
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.