NEWS Mozer's hot form keeps heat on Broncos No.9 Walters

BHQArticleImageLarge94

Brisbane hooker Billy Walters says he thrives on competition for his spot and is certainly getting it from up and coming rake Blake Mozer.

Mozer, 20, had his best game in Broncos colours off the bench in last Saturday night's 30-26 loss to St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium. He entered the fray with Brisbane trailing 28-6 and had two line breaks and scored a try in a performance that almost got the hosts home.

Mozer has been named on the bench again for Saturday night's away clash with Newcastle where the Broncos will be aiming to end a six-game losing streak.

Whether he stays in the 17 will depend on how many of Brisbane's four State of Origin players back up from the decider.

Mozer's slick passing game, vision and energy will be hard for coach Kevin Walters to ignore after he earned his chance with consistent form for Souths-Logan in the Queensland Cup.

Tyson Smoothy, who usually comes off the bench as the second hooker, played lock last week and has again been named there against the Knights.

"Blake took his opportunity. He's been toiling away there in Queensland Cup playing really well, and just waiting for the chance to come up and play like he did on the weekend," Billy Walters said.

"It was really good for him to get a crack and although it was in a losing side he was one of our best players. It's definitely putting the pressure on me and Tyson to hold our spots, but that's what you need to be playing your best footy.

"I'm not quite sure at this stage (if Smoothy will stay as a middle forward against Newcastle). Obviously he had to do that because we were just running out of middles so we had not many people left with Origin and injuries.

"Hopefully the Origin boys back up and we won't have to use Smoothy in the middle, and Kevvie can make the decision about which of the two hookers he wants to go with."

The Broncos have four No.9s on their books, with Cory Paix the other.

"I feel like hooker is probably the one position where we've got the most depth in," Walters said.

"Touch wood, me and Smoothy have got through every game, so it brings out your best footy and if you start slipping up and not playing well, they're right there to take the opportunity."

Brisbane named captain Adam Reynolds on an extended bench for the Knights clash as he nears a return from an 11-week absence with a ruptured biceps injury.

The Broncos must get back to winning ways, with or without Reynolds, to have any chance of prevailing in six of their remaining games to make the finals.

"I'd love to have Reyno back in the team, but we don't want to rush his injury," Walters said.

"The focus for us is about getting that first win. You can't talk about getting four, five or six wins until you get that first one."

Canberra Times

I do enjoy Billy playing, to be honest, but I do think he is a stopgap/utility and can have some real bludgers. I think one good reason for keeping him in the squad over a change-up is for stability and structure, but I would say that having Mozer showing he is capable at NRL level, that a good preseason with Mozer at 9 or 14 should mean Billy is kept on only as a utility, or replacement 6 if Mam is injured. I think Smoothy can do the early work to allow Mozer to come into the game when it opens up and I think we need to let Paix go on to something else, because it is not worth his time to stay if we are set on Mozer.

In terms of Nepotism... I dunno. Billy is a real trier. He works really damn hard, and I think he does dig in. He just isn't super reliable, and I think the shadow of his father coach really doesn't help the team dynamic if he is having a bad patch.

I will miss using this gif if Billy goes
jim carrey films GIF

All our 9's are pretty average. Its easy for someone like Mozer to come in and shine but these next games are important, we need the experience

Word is Bukowski is going to be the gun, not saying that has any influence over how Mozer is being handled, but we have options.

Word is Bukowski is going to be the gun, not saying that has any influence over how Mozer is being handled, but we have options.

I don't think you can keep "starting again." Bukowski has played 15 Meninga games and 33 minutes in Cup, so he's Mozer at this exact time 2022.

So, his 31 minutes against the Dragons will be in June 2026 if he tracks the same.

You've put all that effot into Mozer long term and signed him three times. You've got to see that through.

When he says he thrives on competition for his spot he must mean with his little sister when its time to decide who rides shotgun with dad and who has to sit in the back.

He has never had any competition for his spot.

I can’t handle the McHunt meltdown if Bukowski gets an NRL contract approved by his mum.

We’d have four years of peace until a journalist put it on social media.

Mate, he barely makes mention of Billy, haven't you heard?

I can’t handle the McHunt meltdown if Bukowski gets an NRL contract approved by his mum.

We’d have four years of peace until a journalist put it on social media.

....Yooooooo

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Kev_Guz
  • Yellowfella
  • Astro
  • bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • Broncosgirl
  • lynx000
  • mrtij
  • barker
  • Midean
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.