Name a Random Former NRL Player

Steve Southern - Played out of his skin when he came into first grade and brought so much energy to the forward pack. Over time it seemed like he hit a wall and was still getting picked based on his 04/05 form. His short stint with the Newcastle Knights reminded me of Reynoldson and why you shouldn't necessarily sign club players for the sake of it.

Stuart Webb - One of those Sydney/Souths players from memory. Was he dating Katie before or after Chris Walker? I mainly remember him playing for the Rabbitohs and being a solid defensive style hooker who could moonlight at lock when Shane Walker would come on. The Rabbitohs dummy half situation was pretty ordinary until Luke make the switch from fullback.

Kaine Manihera - The weird thing about Kaine is that all pre-season all we heard about was Tom Hewitt, Rodney Davies, Gerard Beale etc. and in the end we're back to picking blokes from Redcliffe again. This was an era where Wayne seemingly didn't rate half his young guys and would just play guys like Alwyn Simpson (probably who you were thinking of PWA), Nick Emmett, Michael Roberts, Shane Perry etc. etc.

Speaking of Redcliffe, I'm pretty sure that was the pre-season where the Broncos nearly lost a trial match to the Dolphins and Bennett was worried we were headed for a wooden spoon. Then the boys came out and won their opening three games. Maybe that trial caught Wayne's eye?

If so, Bennett would have seen a decent metre eating winner in the mould of a Brian To'o. Sadly he just didn't seem committed and unlike Reece Robinson who went onto do bigger and better things (so much so he easily had a better career than Kemp - try telling fans that back in 08). So instead he's this one season wonder that fans can barely remember.

Luke Rooney - Loved that era of Penrith and was really happy to see the likes of him, Rooney, Lewis, Waterhouse, Ross etc. graduate into rep players. However it seemed like after 2004 he forgot how to score tries and was just an average winger. I'm pretty sure he was relatively young when he left, so if he hung around maybe he could have come good, instead he hung around just long enough to blemish his career. If he had have left in say 2006 - we're probably talking about him like he's some amazing what if story.

Milton Thaiday - Always remember Matty Johns speaking him up for Origin based on the Knights 06 form. Not only was it crazy Newcastle bias, but I'm pretty sure Thaiday's eligibility was up in the air and he may have actually been a Queenslander. Was an exciting player and the improvements he made to his game from 05 to 06 really was a testament to Joey and what he could do for the players around him. Pretty sure he ended up in Rugby as well and was a part of those sweeping changes Smith made to the club during his tenure.

Leon Bott - Did we ever get to the bottom of his actual age? I remember he was reported as a schoolboy star, but then later media guides would have him in his mid-20s? It was bizarre, but to me he was a classic Bennett bolter who came out of nowhere and would go onto have some pretty big moments for the club that year. The one everyone remembers is him burning Minichiello down the wing which would prove a pivotal try in the game. However there was a game against the Dragons when they arguably had the best roster where he scored a hat-trick. Virtually disappeared after that and haven't heard anything since he got sent off in a game of Union but 2005 was an instrumental year for me so I'll always remember him as #5 for the Broncos.

Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate, Justin Hodges, Shaun Berrigan, Leon Bott, Darren Lockyer, Brett Seymour, Shane Webcke, Barry Berrigan, Petero Civoniceiva, Brad Thorn, David Stagg, Tonie Carroll

Corey Parker, Casey McGuire, Darren Mapp, Dane Carlaw

A BP 'typical Broncos 2005' team-list.

Richard Villasanti - this guy was all the rage in 2003. Absolute tank of a forward. I remember there was a bit of contention about him being called up for the Kangaroos squad too, being Kiwi based and representing the Kiwis as a junior. Then, he was also rumoured to be the 'thief' on the 2003 Kangaroos tour as well. Seemed to fade into obscurity after that.

Brent Webb - I can't be fucked with this one handed typing, so here's a blurb from RLP:

Australian-born fullback (Cairns, Queensland) was playing in the Queensland Cup competition before coming to the Warriors in 2002. Webb cemented a first grade place in 2003 after the departure of Ivan Cleary and impressed with his ability to change pace and his strength in attack. In 2004 he made his Test debut for the Kiwis in the 16-all draw against Australia in October (kicking 2 goals, but missing the difficult shot sideline conversion of Francis Mali’s try) before playing for NZ in the Tri Nation competition in England.

I always thought he was a handy player - pacey and evasive, though my memory may be wrong. It surprised me he jetted off to the Super League after only five seasons in the NRL.

George Carmont - a Kiwi, but made his debut with the Knights. He was a massive favourite here in Newy. Quite a dependable centre, and went on to have a decent career in the Super League, scoring 71 tries in 136 appearances for Wigan.

Shannon Walker - I remember when the Gold Coast first came into the competition, one of the big talking points was their junior system and how they had three of the most exciting juniors - Chris Sandow, Bodene Thompson & Shannon Walker. Of the three, Walker had the most hype and it seemed like an inevitability that he'd join Bowen and Slater as one of the best game-breakers in the game.

He got through his QRL test with flying colours, playing a key role in the Seagulls premiership year and it seemed like the Gold Coast had an embarrassment of riches. Yet it never transpired, Walker's form went backwards and by the time he did receive an opportunity he didn't set the world on fire and eventually he just went into the Rugby 7s after hardly doing anything for years.

I never knew who the blame lied with. Did Cartwright struggle to coach Walker and give him the necessary tools to be successful? Or did Walker lose his marbles? Either way it was just another reason to be disappointed in the Titans, a team I actually admired a great deal in their early days. It may sound treasonous, but I liked their playing roster. Mat Rogers, Preston Campbell, Scott Prince, Nathan Friend, Chris Walker etc. were all players I admired and I'd go onto enjoy Deep Gordon and @meady too. However, they started to make some questionable signings and when they brought Bird in that was it for me.

Richard Villasanti - I was never a fan after that dog shot on Freddy. Never really thought much of the Warriors for that reason. Yeah, great blindside hit, thanks for giving our players nerve damage - can't wait until the Broncos play you again. Outside of the stealing allegations, I just think time exposed Villasanti as a pretty average NRL player. Then again who knows, if the Warriors didn't go off Anderson so much maybe they wouldn't have had to break the salary cap to bring Price and Wiki over?

Harvey Howard: english prop that was instrumental in our 2000 season. Typical no nonsense prop. Only season in Australia I believe. I remember watching that final in a blowup pool whilst in the living room. Hot Brisbane summer. University days lol.

Side note, Ben Ikin 6; Walter's 7. They did get along once....

Only season in Australia I believe.

Negative.

Unread

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Battler
  • eazy-duzzit
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.