National Anthem dumped from State of Origin.

My uncle has scars all over his body from being cut open and the wounds then packed with sand by his elders. This was part of his initiation ceremony into being a man and there are still horrible circumcision rituals going on in remote communities up north with teenagers being hospitalised when it doesn't all go smoothly. It certainly develops boundaries although I wouldn't say they are good ones.

I find Jacinta Nampijinpa Price to be one of the more reasonable voices with regards to Aboriginal issues as she has been close to and witnessed first hand what is going on in some of these communities (and within her only family) and talks about the issues more directly rather than focusing on symbolic gestures that she doesn't consider to be so productive, especially for the most marginalised and remote communities.

Yeah I was more talking about how the younger people respected the elders and the elders guide them to not completely **** their lives with drugs and alcohol but lean on their culture for identity and self worth.
I’m aware of those ceremonies but they have largely been faded out and the turning to man ritual is usually going walk about and walking your land. You can’t paint an entire culture with the same brush and say that it doesn’t produce positive boundaries.
There is a whole rang of issues and they all need to be spoke to directly

I find it amazing that most people in Australia are willing to stand up for BLM movement in America and push for the change that needs to happen but when it comes to the issues that are going on in our own backyard there is a lot of umming and arrrhing, even when it comes down to simple things like the anthem or moving Australia Day one day forward

Last edited:

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • thenry
  • Lozza
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.