National Anthem dumped from State of Origin.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Opinions?
On one hand, i see why it has been dumped, as it can be deemed offensive to indigenous Australians.
On the second hand, a lot of good Australian men and women have died under our flag and that Anthem for the freedoms we enjoy today.

I am not sure how this will impact the appeal of the game either.

Considering the amount of kiwis and other islanders we've now got playing origin it's pretty redundant anyway. I won't really miss the camera panning over 34 guys and only 4-5 people singing.

according to the NRL the reason it is being dumped is because SOO is not an international fixture

Quotes from Abdo

“Playing the national anthem will be reserved for Test matches, grand final and ANZAC Day,” NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said.

“State of Origin is about the tribalism of the two states, it’s Australia’s biggest sporting rivalry. When NSW and Queensland run out we want that tension to erupt immediately.

“The game remains committed to our anthem. You need to look no further than last weekend’s grand final.”

I don’t have any issue with it.

I’ve never seen the point of having the anthem before a sports match. Especially one that’s not an international match.

Its odd because they had it in the Grand Final, but not in State of Origin.
Like TheShed said, save it for international games.

Not really political, actively try and filter our political stuff from my information intake.

However reading about how the anthem has been dropped, I feel like I am going to consider not watching origin this year. And if they take a knee I will consider not watching any NRL next year. Hard to express that without being political but I feel it's stepping in the direction of the madness that is happening in the US and other places, not so much here yet.

If it's an indigenous respect thing I feel like the game has gone to great lengths to acknowledge that already, and it's such a good vehicle the NRL for promoting indigenous and islander interests (Are they the only ones who don't like our anthem?). Not a big deal maybe but it's the proverbial slippery slope perhaps.

according to the NRL the reason it is being dumped is because SOO is not an international fixture

Quotes from Abdo

“Playing the national anthem will be reserved for Test matches, grand final and ANZAC Day,” NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said.

“State of Origin is about the tribalism of the two states, it’s Australia’s biggest sporting rivalry. When NSW and Queensland run out we want that tension to erupt immediately.

“The game remains committed to our anthem. You need to look no further than last weekend’s grand final.”
Well that was phrased delicately. It's a thorny issue and it seems hard to take umbrage with those sentiments.. However who really believes it's because SOO is tribal and not because some players boycotted the anthem?

Well that was phrased delicately. It's a thorny issue and it seems hard to take umbrage with those sentiments.. However who really believes it's because SOO is tribal and not because some players boycotted the anthem?
Spot on, and got the stones to call it as it is.
Its a delicate topic, because today's PC culture has poisoned everything (thanks America). There will never be unity, so long as either side seeks division.
As you say, its hard not to think politically in this, and i would expect there will be quiet a few people with the same sentiment.
It has damaged the NFL immeasurably with the kneeling of their anthem and alienated a lot of fans, to the point of boycotting their televised games.
Could be some backlash from this decision.

apparently the NRL has backflipped and the Anthem will now be played.

V'Landys has spoken

Opinions?
On one hand, i see why it has been dumped, as it can be deemed offensive to indigenous Australians.
On the second hand, a lot of good Australian men and women have died under our flag and that Anthem for the freedoms we enjoy today.

I am not sure how this will impact the appeal of the game either.
This is an interesting question. It's also interesting that you can hardly touch this question without triggering people I imagine, most smart people wouldn't touch it (cough). The world we are living in. What are the demands with the anthem? If it is to be removed why and what do we replace it with?

I have travelled extensively and consider Australia, compared with the rest of the world, is really quite racially tolerant and welcoming and consider that we should not have to bear collective guilt for our past, much as I don't hold modern Japanese or Germans to task for their war histories in the 20th century.

On the other hand I consider equality of opportunity still needs some work in this country, probably always will.. and that bears consideration.

Not sure why I'm so triggered myself by this apart from I'm avoiding doing any real work today. All I know is I feel mildly uncomfortable with the stance taken towards the anthem by the NRL.

Last edited:
this is what Aboriginal leader Warren Mundine said:

“It is the national anthem of the country and if the NRL doesn’t want to be proud of the nation then they should say it.

“Quite frankly the NRL loses credibility by saying it is not an international game when they are still playing the anthem at the grand final.

“We know the real reason why the NRL has pulled the nation’s anthem and they are taking their fans for fools by not being honest.”

I would also point out that the NRL.. though I like maligning their wisdom... are probably quite aware that my sentiments, dare I say, represent a somewhat silent majority.. And I'm in a demographic that has the dollars to make them pay attention and also I can vote many ways with my entertainment dollars.

apparently the NRL has backflipped and the Anthem will now be played.

V'Landys has spoken
I hope your right, I would of thought if you were an Australian citizen your heritage is irrelevant and you should support the Australian National Anthem, our Indigenous people were not considered Australian citizens until the 1967 referendum which invoked their right to citizenship, and rightly so, political correctness and ignorance of historical events is screwing Australia and will continue to do so until the bullshit ceases. Australia is full of wonderful people of all ethnicities and not all necessarily support all the political correctness their spokes people dish up in the media, Australia is for all Australians not just a few that like to grandstand.

I hope your right, I would of thought if you were an Australian citizen your heritage is irrelevant and you should support the Australian National Anthem, our Indigenous people were not considered Australian citizens until the 1967 referendum which invoked their right to citizenship, and rightly so, political correctness and ignorance of historical events is screwing Australia and will continue to do so until the bullshit ceases. Australia is full of wonderful people of all ethnicities and not all necessarily support all the political correctness their spokes people dish up in the media, Australia is for all Australians not just a few that like to grandstand.
Well said. And agreed wholeheartedly.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • FACTHUNT
  • Galah
  • Old Mate
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Manofoneway
  • The True King
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • Mr Fourex
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MasterWright
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fitzy
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.