Next Broncos coach

Who should it be?

• Total voters
This is exactly what many if us have been suggesting the club do ...

You need to put your bias aside and look at things logically (I know this goes against everything BHQ stands for)

Unless your hiring Bellamy or Robinson, you need top notch support staff (and even they have quality people to support them)

We could do far worse than replicating the All Blacks coaching structure
In fact the Roosters have Trent Robinson and an amazing team of support staff. The best in the league from I’ve seen.

We had Seibold, Gentle, and Cross. Amateur hour.

Hindsight, a beautiful thing. Your 13 year old sister would have been able to run Manly Rugby Leagues club where Dank worked for, what 5 years? Also in her spare time the Essenden AFL club and Cronulla Rugby League to boot! They all bought into it but hey, let's single out Flanagan for gross stupidity!
I have no doubt Flanno can coach but, my thoughts are, he suspected or knew. What head coach lets his players inject anything without taking it to wada or the NRL and getting it cleared. The message was loud and clear, DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN YOUR BODY WITHOUT KNOWING.
With all of the info available to them at the time the ONLY thing he had to do was pick up a phone and check or delegate that task to make sure he wasn't putting his players at risk or the club or himself in the firing line.
Plausible deniability is the only logical answer.
His actions since show he thinks he can make his own rules.

Having said that I think we all deserve the chance to show we have learned from our mistakes. When he does his time I am sure he will pick up a head coaching position. Quality proven coaches are few and far between.

Last edited:
Hindsight, a beautiful thing. Your 13 year old sister would have been able to run Manly Rugby Leagues club where Dank worked for, what 5 years? Also in her spare time the Essenden AFL club and Cronulla Rugby League to boot! They all bought into it but hey, let's single out Flanagan for gross stupidity!
*Essendon*

In fact the Roosters have Trent Robinson and an amazing team of support staff. The best in the league from I’ve seen.

Don't forget short round

Images 2

Well, hopefully they are learning from their mistakes last time.

Worries me that most of us wanting Kevvie as head coach are agreeing he needs a strong support team.
Nothing wrong with a strong support team, hey Mal, but sometimes I wish we had the opportunity to be interviewing a strong head coach who didn't need one.

Worries me that most of us wanting Kevvie as head coach are agreeing he needs a strong support team.
Nothing wrong with a strong support team, hey Mal, but sometimes I wish we had the opportunity to be interviewing a strong head coach who didn't need one.
Every nrl coach needs a strong support team no matter who you are

To be honest the only coach that could turn us around single handedly and also be around for a long time is Robinson. As he's basically done that with the roosters.

I dont think Wayne has the longevity to turn the club around and Bellamy crafted the storm into what they are today, but does he have the motivation to do it all again except from a lower base this time around.

The last coach we hired thought he could do it all himself and how'd that turn out.

It also takes a team to run a successful football department (roosters and storm being case in point), which is why we need a GM of football... getting a Peter Parr or Ponissi could be more pivotal than getting a head coach.

I know I want Kevvie because I see an opportunity to recreate the coaching system that laid the ground work for the qld origin dynasty... Mal didn't have the tactical nous but he was a man manager and brought the passion to qld jersey... I see Kevvie being able to do that as well.

Mal relied on a team of assistants to do the tactical coaching and who just happened to be the assistant in those early days... one Neil Henry (assistant from 2006-2009).

I think Neil is at the point where he may be happy to forge a career as an extremely good assistant coach... he's been the head coach for two successful rebuilds (cowboys before Green took it over and Titans were building before Hayne came in and destroyed the place), but both times he was sent packing with reports indicating that it was the poor man management more than anything.

Last edited:
To be honest the only coach that could turn us around single handedly and also be around for a long time is Robinson. As he's basically done that with the roosters.

I dont think Wayne has the longevity to turn the club around and Bellamy crafted the storm into what they are today, but does he have the motivation to do it all again except from a lower base this time around.

The last coach we hired thought he could do it all himself and how'd that turn out.

It also takes a team to run a successful football department (roosters and storm being case in point), which is why we need a GM of football... getting a Peter Parr or Ponissi could be more pivotal than getting a head coach.

I know I want Kevvie because I see an opportunity to recreate the coaching system that laid the ground work for the qld origin dynasty... Mal didn't have the tactical nous but he was a man manager and brought the passion to qld jersey... I see Kevvie being able to do that as well.

Mal replied on a team of assistants to do the tactical coaching and who just happened to be the assistant in those early days... one Neil Henry.

I think Neil is at the point where he may be happy to forge a career as an extremely good assistant coach... he's been the head coach for two successful rebuilds (cowboys before Green took it over and Titans were building before Hayne came in and destroyed the place), but both times he was sent packing with reports indicating that it was the poor man management more than anything.

I read once that Bellamy was clear about no longer being interested in a head coach role. Perhaps there's an inference there about his next step?

As for Henry and Green, I do wonder if their ambition and egos permit being assistant anything in their aspirations.

Last edited:
I have no doubt Flanno can coach but, my thoughts are, he suspected or knew. What head coach lets his players inject anything without taking it to wada or the NRL and getting it cleared. The message was loud and clear, DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN YOUR BODY WITHOUT KNOWING.
With all of the info available to them at the time the ONLY thing he had to do was pick up a phone and check or delegate that task to make sure he wasn't putting his players at risk or the club or himself in the firing line.

Having said that I think we all deserve the chance to show we have learned from our mistakes. When he does his time I am sure he will pick up a head coaching position. Quality proven coaches are few and far between.

lets not forget that this was done off the Sharks premises and they were told not to tell anyone about it ... millions of red flags

I read once that Bellamy was clear about no longer being interested in a head coach role. Perhaps there's an inference there about his next step?

As for Henry and Green, I do wonder if their ambition and egos permit being assistant anything in their aspirations.
I doubt that Green would be keen on being an assistant coach... he won a GF and has been a pretty long standing head coach. I don't think a head coach would be too keen having Green as an assistant either... only because he is just recently out of his previous long standing role as a head coach and you'd have worries about being replaced... kind of like MacGregor with Flannigan sitting beneath him and all the speculation that came with it.

I would say that Henry's ego probably has reduced to potentially accept being an assistant... there have been many head coaching roles pop up since he finished up at the titans and he hasn't been in the conversation at all. He's also currently coaching the Kangaroos U23's, suggesting that he is accepting less taxing roles and happy to be out of the spotlight perhaps to better his own well being... that's based on nothing at all, but it would take a certain mindset to potentially not be chasing head coaching gigs that are popping up all over the place. Compare that to say Toovey (who is linked to every job), Griffin (also linked to many roles when he was available), Barrett, etc.

He's a capable tactician, but hasn't really been in the spotlight since he finished at the titans.

Of course they do, but not to get the job.
The point they are trying to make is they don’t want another seibold who didn’t hire a top line assistant and preferred to go it all alone.

I think "plausible deniability", namely, the apparent lack of evidence, such as the failure to keep any records of the injections, required to nail Flanagan was the only reason the NRL didn't slap a life ban on his coaching career. That he got the suspension for the peptide scandal shows the circumstantial evidence was strong enough to warrant a temporary suspension.

As well, I don't consider Flanagan made a mistake. Rather, i'd argue he knew exactly what he was doing - plausible deniability, if caught says it all. As a head coach, he ought to have been 100% aware of what goes into his players' bodies. He is accountable for everything to do with his players' health and wellbeing on and off the field.

As you said, it was easy to check although I'd say he ought to have known from the outset about Mr. Dank and his proposals and actions, the pharmacist of football, and in fact, the circumstances suggest Flanagan did, but it couldn't be proven. Mum was the word.

I just don't trust him. The defence (such as it is) of plausible deniability reeks of corruption. I for one don't want a bar of him.

The point they are trying to make is they don’t want another seibold who didn’t hire a top line assistant and preferred to go it all alone.

For mine, that's not entirely true. He brought his staff with him which I reckon was discussed at his interview, and unless I am wrong, most head coaches are allowed to bring in whoever they want for support staff on their coaching team.

Last edited:
Maybe. More along the lines he can’t succeed without. But it’s a good point.

Mal relied on a team of assistants to do the tactical coaching and who just happened to be the assistant in those early days... one Neil Henry (assistant from 2006-2009).

Some great points raised here BroncsFan, agree 100%.

Unread

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • BroncosAlways
  • ivanhungryjak
  • broncos4life
  • Rah88
  • Morkel
  • Jazza
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • LittleDavey
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Mustafur
  • Mr Fourex
  • Justwin
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • Gaz
  • Sproj
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.