Nikorima: 'I believe I can be that guy'

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRONCOS skipper Darius Boyd has declared Kodi Nikorima the halfback with the game-breaking brilliance to snap the longest premiership drought in Brisbane’s 29-year history.

On the eve of Friday night’s Broncos-Sharks blockbuster at Suncorp Stadium, Nikorima revealed he was so determined to clinch the Brisbane No. 7 jumper he knocked back the opportunity to play with Cooper Cronk at Melbourne.

The decision has paid dividends, with Nikorima keen to maintain his flawless record by dismantling the Sharks and clinching his eighth victory as Brisbane’s starting halfback.

It has been 11 years since the playmaking combination of Darren Lockyer and unheralded Shane Perry steered the Broncos to their last premiership with an upset of Melbourne in the 2006 grand final.

Like Perry, Nikorima has his detractors, but Boyd, one of just two survivors of Brisbane’s most recent title victory, says the 23-year-old has the talent to deliver the club’s seventh premiership.

“He can definitely do it,” Boyd said.

“Kodi has the ability and he’s only going to get better.

“During his first five weeks (filling in for the injured Ben Hunt at halfback), Kodi won every game. The big thing is he and Anthony Milford (Broncos scrumbase partner) grew up playing together and they have that understanding that can take a long time to develop.

“Halfback is a position that takes years to master. You look at a guy like Cooper Cronk (Queensland and Test No. 7), he took a while to master playing in the halves but now he is regarded as one of the best ever.

“I can see Kodi developing in the same way, he’s only young for a playmaker.”

It is a tribute to Brisbane’s culture that Nikorima spurned the chance to be mentored by Cronk as he set his sights on a long-term career at Red Hill.

Last year, Storm coach Craig Bellamy identified Nikorima as the man to partner Cronk at the Melbourne scrumbase, but the pint-sized Kiwi Test utility signed an inferior deal to stay loyal to the Broncos.

Nikorima has since been rewarded with a three-year upgrade and is adamant he can be Brisbane’s No. 1 halfback for the long haul.

“I believe I can be that guy,” he said.

“Every time I start at halfback, I feel I am getting better each week and all I can do is put my best foot forward and keep improving from the previous weeks.”

Nikorima, who plays his 49th top-grade game tomorrow night, admits he was flattered by Melbourne’s interest.

“My manager told me the Storm were keen but I was always hopeful of staying at the Broncos,” he said.

“Like the Broncos, the Storm are a big club and I was a bit shocked to hear they wanted me.

“The Broncos are like family and it’s the culture of the club. I never wanted to leave and it’s nice to have the security of another three years which gives me a chance to prove myself in the halfback spot.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/a5dfdc18148b40201d6ad31d2284a48c

Boyd is really talking up winning this years premiership. In every article he's talking about it.

Gotta have belief I suppose.

Just WIN the premiership ffs!... There, I said it... lol

Boyd is really talking up winning this years premiership. In every article he's talking about it.

Gotta have belief I suppose.

Just WIN the premiership ffs!... There, I said it... lol

There is no reason why we can't win it this year.

So long as someone else beats Melbourne in the finals.

There is no reason why we can't win it this year.

So long as someone else beats Melbourne in the finals.

I've been thinking about that.

Maybe we do need to finish 4th and play Melbourne. Win or lose, we have got to get over this shitting the bed against the Storm. We should have a decent crack at them this time.

This Bronco team needs to overcome the best teams right now. Not when Smith, Cronk and Thurston are retired, but right now, this year. They are now overdue in my mind.

Remember when the Australian cricket team finally overcame the unbeatable West Indies team in the early 90's? Once it happened there was no turning back. There was a changing of the guard forever... Physiologically and physically.

The Broncos had the chance to turbo charge to that position 2 years ago. Now IMO they are becoming overdue - at the very least to play to their potential.

But.. shit happens..

Last edited:

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Jedhead
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dreaglor
  • theshed
  • Redfern_1980
  • marw
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.