NEWS Nobody puts Corey in the corner

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Corey Oates admits to the Courier Mail he doesn't know what the ****'s going on:

"I can see myself in the forwards. It’s up to the coach at the end of the day, but if ‘Seibs’ wants me in the back-row full-time, I’m up to that. If that’s the way the Broncos want to go with things, I certainly won’t knock it back. With the talent the Broncos have got, guys like Xavier Coates and Herbie Farnworth, you have to look at where I am best suited to the team and that might be in the forwards."

“I still think I have something to offer on the wing. I’m not saying these young kids bring any more to the position than I do, but I did come through as a back-rower and I enjoyed being back there last week. I honestly have no idea where I stand moving forward. With Tevita and ‘Lexi’ (Glenn) coming back, I will probably go back to the wing this week, but I’d love to have another crack at the back row again. I would have been $1.10 with most people to blow out after 15 minutes last week but I lasted longer than even I expected."

428e2c4755c3987ca7454ddbb57f91cc

Not a complicated sort of bloke

"I wasn’t sure how I would go in the back row but I felt better than what I thought. Xavier is going to be one hell of a weapon on the wing, he is a super talent. I have to back myself to play on the wing, but I do think the more I play in the back row, the more I will be able to bring to the team as I get fitter. I enjoy the physicality a lot more in the forwards. I like being involved all the time.”

“To be honest, I’ve had more surgeries playing on the wing than what I have in the back row. If anything, I have found it harder to play on the wing than the back row. I am still learning how to play on the wing. I’m not a complicated sort of bloke. If I have to get from point A to point B, I will get there in the most direct way. If I am back in the back row, I will just run hard lines at the holes and force defenders to make a decision.”

McHunt

Last edited:
I would have preferred Oates stay in the back row until Fifita came back... I feel far less comfortable with him moving back to wing and Herbie into the centers (now we have Coates and Herbie on the right edge).

I'd also prefer Glenn in the centers than Boyd moving forward.

I think we need to minimize changes week to week and start figuring out what our strongest 17 is and work towards that. If it's Herbie and Coates on the wing then fucking leave them there!!

1. Isaako
2. Herbie
3. Staggs
4. Glenn / Boyd
5. Coates
6. Milf
7. Croft
8. Lodge
9. Turps
10. Haas
11. TPJ / Oates / Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Luke / Paix
15. Flegler
16. Offa / TPJ (if not starting) / Kennedy
17. Oates / Glenn (if not starting) / Teo

Last edited:
Has played close to 150 games of NRL on the wing and less than five in the second row, and miraculously, somehow, has had more injuries playing on the wing.

Not a complicated guy, hey Corey?

You’ve got that right big fella!

At full strength and in the future, i have corey on the bench covering the 2nd row (if TPJ moves there in the future, i dont think he can do a full 80mins) and outside backs for injury. With the rest of the bench having a replacement hooker and two middle forwards.

This was my concern with re-signing Glenn, it really doesn't give us much flexibility in the back row when we're fully fit (Which is never, so, I suppose it's irrelevant).

If I was coaching the team I wouldn't have re-signed Lexy and I would have had Oates training exclusively on the left edge all pre-season, have him gain a bit of size and learn how to run at holes (Which Glenn has struggled with for years, he hasn't run a good line since 2016).

I also would've had Herbie & Xavier on the left side all pre-season learning combinations and defensive decision making. There's no wonder these kids struggle defensively, they're running out with new guys next to them every week.

Hypothetically, this is how I would've had us lining up fully fit in 2020, with Lodge as captain -

1. Jack Bird
2. Xavier Coates
3. Herbie Farnworth
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Brodie Croft
8. Matthew Lodge (45 mins)
9. Jake Turpin (55 mins)
10. Payne Haas (70 mins)
11. Corey Oates (60 mins)
12. David Fifita (80 mins)
13. Patrick Carrigan (55 mins)

14. Cory Paix (25 mins) (25 mins at hooker)
15. Tevita Pangai Jr (35 mins) (15 mins at lock, 20 mins on the left edge)
16. Joe Ofahengaue (30 mins) (10 mins at lock, 20 mins at prop)
17. Thomas Flegler (25 mins) (25 mins at prop)

If I was coaching the team I wouldn't have re-signed Lexy and I would have had Oates training exclusively on the left edge all pre-season,

Then you'd be crucified in the media for getting rid of all our experienced players and not having a contingency plan for 5-6 outs while being weighed down by 2 existing dead weight contracts.

Then you'd be crucified in the media for getting rid of all our experienced players and not having a contingency plan for 5-6 outs while being weighed down by 2 existing dead weight contracts.

In the hypothetical I listed we'd be in roughly the same scenario we are right now, except alongside Te'o and Luke we'd have an extra spot in the top 30 and $400-500K more wiggle room for this season and next season (Critical in keeping Fifita)

Moving forward, I'd like to see Oates permanently on the wing..at the Titans.

The bloke has offered nothing on the wing for the past 12 months at least. Sick of hearing him in the media. It's time for him to start knuckling down and start playing decent footy for this club. If he fails to perform (again) this week, I'd like to see him dropped.

This was my concern with re-signing Glenn, it really doesn't give us much flexibility in the back row when we're fully fit (Which is never, so, I suppose it's irrelevant).

If I was coaching the team I wouldn't have re-signed Lexy and I would have had Oates training exclusively on the left edge all pre-season, have him gain a bit of size and learn how to run at holes (Which Glenn has struggled with for years, he hasn't run a good line since 2016).

I also would've had Herbie & Xavier on the left side all pre-season learning combinations and defensive decision making. There's no wonder these kids struggle defensively, they're running out with new guys next to them every week.

Hypothetically, this is how I would've had us lining up fully fit in 2020, with Lodge as captain -

1. Jack Bird
2. Xavier Coates
3. Herbie Farnworth
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Brodie Croft
8. Matthew Lodge (45 mins)
9. Jake Turpin (55 mins)
10. Payne Haas (70 mins)
11. Corey Oates (60 mins)
12. David Fifita (80 mins)
13. Patrick Carrigan (55 mins)

14. Cory Paix (25 mins) (25 mins at hooker)
15. Tevita Pangai Jr (35 mins) (15 mins at lock, 20 mins on the left edge)
16. Joe Ofahengaue (30 mins) (10 mins at lock, 20 mins at prop)
17. Thomas Flegler (25 mins) (25 mins at prop)
I like the cut of your jib, although I'm not quite onboard with the captaincy (nothing against Lodge, who has been a great example of redemption), or minutes and bench usage. Three different locks in one game is too much for me, and Carrigan (my captain, although I could live with a shared captaincy with a more experienced player) can definitely play more than 55 mins).
I'd start Fifita at 11 and TPJ at 12 and Isaako would be barely hanging to a wing spot because of his kicking, as I'd honestly prefer Coates and Herbie on the edges with Arthars and Staggs in the centres.

Bench would be Paix, Oates, Ofa and Flegler, with their usage depending on the events of the game instead of anything pre-determined, which seems to definitely be one of Seibs flaws...

Moving forward, I'd like to see Oates permanently on the wing..at the Titans.

The bloke has offered nothing on the wing for the past 12 months at least. Sick of hearing him in the media. It's time for him to start knuckling down and start playing decent footy for this club. If he fails to perform (again) this week, I'd like to see him dropped.

At least the Titans haven't isolated their left wing for over a season. Don't expect anyone, experienced or otherwise, to build confidence if the only ball they see is from a kick (defensively) or a hit up. Also if you are focusing on defensive issues better look at the centre next to him and the other center - wing because they have been worse.

At least the Titans haven't isolated their left wing for over a season. Don't expect anyone, experienced or otherwise, to build confidence if the only ball they see is from a kick (defensively) or a hit up. Also if you are focusing on defensive issues better look at the centre next to him and the other center - wing because they have been worse.
Oates has barley been able to catch a high ball all year.
He is a professional, whether the team play to his side or not, I am sure he still practices how to catch a ball at training that the halves put in the air.
He just hasn’t been up to scratch.
The end.

I'm struggling to see a full strength side with Oates in it for much longer to be honest.
I'm also pretty much ruling Bird out in my thinking. I literally never even think of him as a Broncos player because he has spent so little time on the field over the past few years.

Glenn to Captain with Patty backing him up, with Patty to take over with Glenn retiring soon.

1. Bird/Isaako
2. Herbie/Isaako
3. Herbie/Nui/Arthurs
4. Staggs
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Paix / Luke
15. Offa
16. TPJ
17. Fleger/Te'o/Oates/Kennedy

Last edited:
I can see Seibold picking and sticking with Isaako at fullback, despite what any of us might think about it. I'm not too fussed about the idea, PROVIDED we get serious about the rest of our spine positions, especially (imo) the number 9. Turps deserves a chance to own it, but he can't be allowed to have the sort of mortgage on the position that McC had, because it was disastrous for us. Either he proves he can deliver what we need from him in the middle, or he doesn't and we go to the market with a fat chequebook to shore up our middle, which has been seriously lacking for too long and needs to be fixed in a hurry to accommodate these rule changes, because I don't think we are going back.

1. Isaako
2. Herbie
3. Coates
4. Staggs
5. Arthars/Niu
6. Milford/Dearden
7. Croft
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (c)
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Dearden/Milford/Paix
15. Joe O/Flegler
16. TPJ
17. Te'o/Oates

Lets be honest, Milf really is on his last tether with the coach one would think. All of this talk about Dearden during the week is no accident, it is a shot across the bow for Milford (and Croft to an extent probably). If Milf fails to fire tonight against the Knights, I think he'll likely be benched for Dearden next week.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Wild Horse
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Alec
  • Fitzy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Manofoneway
  • Santa
  • Fozz
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.