NEWS Nothing is a done deal: V’landys pushes Super Bowl-style NRL grand final

I heard a quote about tradition once. It goes "Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people"

At the same time though I'm not sure if moving the grand final is the best idea, Rugby League fans do like some tradition in the game. I can see how it could work for them though. I also prefer the idea of origin in places like Newcastle or Townsville. As It does add something to it

Slightly drifting off topic, but staying within it, do any of you think that revamping the indigenous all stars match by playing the English team on Australia Day in Sydney could work?

Its one of those things I could see working. And I can see how it would be great for the indigenous players and people with all the conjecture around January 26th and what it means. The only problem I can see is if the English side won the game.

I heard a quote about tradition once. It goes "Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people"

At the same time though I'm not sure if moving the grand final is the best idea, Rugby League fans do like some tradition in the game. I can see how it could work for them though. I also prefer the idea of origin in places like Newcastle or Townsville. As It does add something to it

Slightly drifting off topic, but staying within it, do any of you think that revamping the indigenous all stars match by playing the English team on Australia Day in Sydney could work?

Its one of those things I could see working. And I can see how it would be great for the indigenous players and people with all the conjecture around January 26th and what it means. The only problem I can see is if the English side won the game.

Or go truly controversial:

Maori v Indigenous
Invaders v Invaded but not Indigenous or Maori

Vlandy's has hit back at the NSW Premier claiming that they had a deal (to redevelop Stadium Australia) and if NSW don't honour the funds (only to upgrade NSW suburban grounds) then thye NRL will take the GF off of NSW.

Lord Vlandys says:

“We just want our suburban stadiums in NSW, we want that tribalism,” V’landys told Today.

“We had a deal. The deal was they would spend $800 million on stadiums, but rather than spending it on Accor Stadium (Stadium Australia), we wanted it spent on suburban stadiums.

“We want those promises honoured by the NSW government, and if they don’t, we’ll take it (the grand final) elsewhere.”

late last year, the Perrottet government committed $300m to revamping Penrith Stadium; the ARLC want assurances other grounds would receive the same treatment

Lord Vlandys again:

“The government … is just so slow to move,” he said.

“We want ink on the paper, we want it in writing and until we get that, the grand final is up for grabs.”

The comment by Perrottet that Vlandys should move to QLD if he took the GF up here hasn't gone down well with Vlandys

Lord Vlandys for a final time:

“What I’ve said to him was that I’d have to if I want to see a major event,” V’landys said.

“I’d have to go to Queensland, or live in Melbourne, god help me.

“That’s where we’re at in NSW. We don’t have events, they wouldn’t know an event if they tripped over it.

“It’s about time they started doing things rather than asking their residents to leave the state to go and see events.”

Vlandy's has hit back at the NSW Premier claiming that they had a deal (to redevelop Stadium Australia) and if NSW don't honour the funds (only to upgrade NSW suburban grounds) then thye NRL will take the GF off of NSW.

Lord Vlandys says:

“We just want our suburban stadiums in NSW, we want that tribalism,” V’landys told Today.

“We had a deal. The deal was they would spend $800 million on stadiums, but rather than spending it on Accor Stadium (Stadium Australia), we wanted it spent on suburban stadiums.

“We want those promises honoured by the NSW government, and if they don’t, we’ll take it (the grand final) elsewhere.”
If Vlandys has a written contract with the NSW government to upgrade suburban grounds he should release it so we can all see what's in it.

If he hasn't got one and expects a government which now has a different premier to the one he allegedly had the deal with and who doesn't know what a football even looks like and which will likely get punted from office at the next election and still expects it to honour the deal he is nuts.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Griffo
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fitzy
  • Fozz
  • Xzei
  • FACTHUNT
  • Culhwch
  • Aldo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Skyblues87
  • bb_gun
  • KnToad
  • Broncosgirl
  • RodF
  • Fatboy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • MrMoore
  • johnny plath
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.