NRL final on delay as Nine reneges

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
CHANNEL 9 has reneged on a concrete contract to telecast all finals matches live - because NRL chief executive David Gallop would not agree to a television double-header.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Gallop held high-level discussions with Nine CEO David Gyngell last Sunday night about match scheduling for this weekend.

Gyngell told Gallop his network would not telecast a Friday night game live from Auckland at the peak ratings time of 6.30pm in Sydney.

Channel nine should face consequences for the blatant breech of their contractual obligations. i doubt they will, and if they don't it once again shows that channel nine runs rugby league. :roll:

I can't believe they are choosing to play Tracey Grimshaw and her merry man instead of an NRL finals match. Channel 9 ruining our game since forever!!

They should lose the broadcasting rights.

Why can't Foxtel get it if Ch 9 are refusing to run it? That's absolutely ridiculous.

I think the agreement is that anything 9 has the rights to, Foxtel is not allowed to show before they do. Agree if the renege on the deal, then it should be all bets off and Foxtel can show it - the radio are broadcasting it live.

I do like the way 9 keep advertising the game as 'LIVE'. We all know that it's not

Hilarous after Gallop's "use or lose it" threats shortly after finalising the current TV deal. This is in addition to Gallop's assurances that the contract strictly states that Friday night NRL matches must begin coverage at a reasonable hour in Melbourne (specifically, before 12am) - yet apparently this hasn't happened at all since the deal started, lol.

Gyngell has Gallop bent over his knee and Dave is happily accepting his spanking.

Ya know, it's one thing that they don't want to reschedule Today Tonight for it, but to play fucking Two and a Half Men as well before the game...that's insulting in the extreme.

D'oh! LOL, ACA, Today Tonight, whatever :P They're both lame comedies.

Oh, that's right, I mean serious current affairs shows. LOLZ

Oh but Coxy they had Richard Wilkins interviewing Ellen DeGeneres - on HER SHOW. Pathetic!!

Wilko! How has the man not won a wakely award yet?!?!?!?

Oh wait.

Rugby League used to be the people's game but for several years the people who made the game can go jumo as Channel 9 enjoy their governing role of NRL. Gallop is just a puppet of 9.

The game I loved is now a joke.The team I supported is now also a joke.
Go Warriors.

More than several years KR. I've been wathcing for 21 years and as long as I can remember Channel 9 has run it...much like Cricket.

I got all my ironing done in the ads tonight, so all is not bad.

Lol KR. So you noticed the bucket load of ads as well?
I mean it's one thing to break contract and delay telecast of a live sporting event so that we can witness ground-breaking current affairs and fresh American sitcoms staring actors who could never be classed as WASHED UP...
But it's another to fill the program half the country wants to see with goddamn advertisements that only serve to take away from the already deflated occasion.
Deep breaths Uji...

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Astro
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • Battler
  • NSW stables
  • Skathen
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lozza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.