CROSS FORUM NRL Finals Week Three Discussion

View attachment 29712

I think it's gone now though. I think Penrith shorten right up once NAS is suspended.
That's interesting considering Penrith were favourites before both games this weekend. Not sure watching both games that it should have changed. They both had their moments in different ways this weekend. Melbourne were more flashy but Penrith bit tougher. 1 extra day rest I guess.

He's a dickhead too then.

@Mr Fourex did you see Peter Wallace celebrating in the coaches box?

who cares big deal GIF by Togetherness

That's interesting considering Penrith were favourites before both games this weekend. Not sure watching both games that it should have changed. They both had their moments in different ways this weekend. Melbourne were more flashy but Penrith bit tougher. 1 extra day rest I guess.

Thought it was proper odd so jumped on. I'll put the same money on the Storm when they inevitably blow out and at worst, I get my money back next week.

Be interesting to see which way the NRL instruct want this to go

a) Panthers win 4 in a row and the glazing continues

b) Storm end the run and try and capitalise on some new Melbourne fans that had no team* in the AFL Final

*old Fitzroy and South Melbourne fans excluded

I didn't expect the Sharks to still be in the game with 20 to go, but Penrith just far too classy where it mattered. Despite nursing a shoulder injury, Cleary has brought his A-game this finals series and it's going to set up a fantastic showdown between him and the New Zealand halfback Hughes.

A win for Hughes would not only mean something for Melbourne but also NZRL. I think that puts him right in the conversation with Stacey Jones, Shaun Johnson, Gary Freeman, Bill Snowden etc. as the greatest New Zealand halfback - a brilliant story considering his background.

It wasn't the most convincing win by Penrith. I think the greasy conditions prevented them from finding their rhythm and just allowed the Sharks to stay in the contest despite well and truly losing the physical contest.

The moment of the game was the lead up to the To'o try where Cronulla had momentum only to spill the ball. Then Penrith with their opportunity take advantage of Atkinson who over-chases and Cleary lays on a brilliant cross-field kick for To'o. Had Kaufusi held onto the ball, maybe we would have had a grand-stand finish, as it was Penrith were able to close the game out in style.

Cleary going in on Chris Butler for that obstruction call. Rightly so. God that was terrible. Either blind or just doesn't know the rules

Cleary going in on Chris Butler for that obstruction call. Rightly so. God that was terrible. Either blind or just doesn't know the rules
It wasn't the outside shoulder like Butler explained but could see an argument for it being chest contact which is illegal.

Still think it's a defensive decision, but refs will side with the defence 9/10.

Then again, I don't think you should be penalised for hitting a bloke in the head when he slips over.

Made up for the earlier decision where Cleary was competing for the ball by doing nothing but getting in the way of Ronaldo.

It wasn't the outside shoulder like Butler explained but could see an argument for it being chest contact which is illegal.

Still think it's a defensive decision, but refs will side with the defence 9/10.

Then again, I don't think you should be penalised for hitting a bloke in the head when he slips over.

Made up for the earlier decision where Cleary was competing for the ball by doing nothing but getting in the way of Ronaldo.
If the argument is he hits him in the chest then thats because Talakai goes that way. He doesn't release like he should if he wanted to actually try and make a tackle. I thought the Cleary one was the right call. He got in the way but he was watching the ball the whole time. It was smartly done. I thought the Katoa try was wrong too. He didn't regrip the ball. No idea where that rule has gone

The obstruction call, they have been calling that obstruction all year. You could go through all of the obstruction calls this season and find a couple dozen exactly like that one.

Katoa doesn't need to re-grip the ball if the ball doesn't completely come away from his hand. His fingers remain on the ball.

If the argument is he hits him in the chest then thats because Talakai goes that way. He doesn't release like he should if he wanted to actually try and make a tackle. I thought the Cleary one was the right call. He got in the way but he was watching the ball the whole time. It was smartly done. I thought the Katoa try was wrong too. He didn't regrip the ball. No idea where that rule has gone
If you're going to penalise gamesmanship in one instance, then you have to penalise it in another. Cleary didn't make a genuine attempt to compete for the ball and only puts himself in position to obstruct the oncoming chase.

Katoa held the ball with two hands and maintained contact with his left hand.

Then again, I can't imagine Butler is high in the pecking order. In finals, I don't know why they don't have the best four officials involved in both games. The officials rely so much on touch judges for forward passes and off-sides, you would think you'd want the best of the best involved.

Oof just saw the grand finalists. Well that sucks for next week, couldn’t be two more unlikeable teams. If Luai wasn’t in it though, I’d prefer Penrith win but he’s there, so hope they destroy each other and the game dies.

Active Now

• Allo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • IceWorks
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • eazy-duzzit
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.