NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone been to the new stadium in Townsville? Aside from the unfortunate reality of the town its located in, looks fantastic. Tempted to make the trip for our game against them this year to check it out.

I love how the drawcard to go to a broncs game isn’t to watch the team, it’s to check out the stadium.
In fairness, the other side of the equation is the Cowboys. Probably worse to watch somehow.

Anyone been to the new stadium in Townsville? Aside from the unfortunate reality of the town its located in, looks fantastic. Tempted to make the trip for our game against them this year to check it out.
Yeah went there for the season opener last year. As it turned out it was the only game I attended which they won. Crowds weren't allowed for the Souths game and I missed the Bulldogs game. It was very much an unwanted record for me.
As to the new Stadium I make the following points:
  • Futuristic design but I don't know why the roof doesn't encircle the whole ground to give crowds better weather coverage especially at the northern end.
  • Also there aren't many seats at the northern end they could have easily have put more rows in and increased capacity up to near 30k
  • Capacity is only 22k or 23k which is enough for most games except may be a semi final. Can't see them ever playing an Origin game there which I thought they might when its development was first discussed but capacity probably wouldn't be big enough.
  • Location is great being easy walking distance from town and probably the Cowboys Leagues club. (not sure where that is as I don't know townsville that well but it is in the city somewhere so you should be able to walk to it).
  • Overall its a great ground. Pretty steep stairs but the tradeoff is your seat is closer to the field even if you are in a high row.
Am definitely considering going up again in may when the broncs play. Hopefully both clubs will be travelling better by then.

Here's a couple of shots to wet your appetite.

Attachments

• image1 (004).jpeg
    image1 (004).jpeg
    507.7 KB · Views: 45
  • image2 (002).jpeg
    image2 (002).jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 47
what's annoying me right now is the NRL complaining about the increase in high shots ... like they didn't see this coming.

well i've got news for those dumb *****, when you constantly **** with the rules to ensure nearly every player is out on their feet by half time, those things happen. Players make mistakes due to fatigue, they get wrong footed and stick an arm out, they can't adjust as quickly to an attacking players movements etc.

Yeah went there for the season opener last year. As it turned out it was the only game I attended which they won. Crowds weren't allowed for the Souths game and I missed the Bulldogs game. It was very much an unwanted record for me.
As to the new Stadium I make the following points:
  • Futuristic design but I don't know why the roof doesn't encircle the whole ground to give crowds better weather coverage especially at the northern end.
  • Also there aren't many seats at the northern end they could have easily have put more rows in and increased capacity up to near 30k
  • Capacity is only 22k or 23k which is enough for most games except may be a semi final. Can't see them ever playing an Origin game there which I thought they might when its development was first discussed but capacity probably wouldn't be big enough.
  • Location is great being easy walking distance from town and probably the Cowboys Leagues club. (not sure where that is as I don't know townsville that well but it is in the city somewhere so you should be able to walk to it).
  • Overall its a great ground. Pretty steep stairs but the tradeoff is your seat is closer to the field even if you are in a high row.
Am definitely considering going up again in may when the broncs play. Hopefully both clubs will be travelling better by then.

Here's a couple of shots to wet your appetite.

Yeah the league's club is on the main street in the city, 5-10 min walk.

Thinking of going to the Cows game on the weekend, you reckon even the cheap seats are a decent view? Not paying good money to watch the Cowboys.

If we can manage a decent win against the Dogs this week I'll wear one of my Broncos jerseys.

Man, Hooper is so punchable.

Also, he says Piakura to the Dogs is a done deal and implied it will be announced this week or next.

Man, Hooper is so punchable.

Also, he says Piakura to the Dogs is a done deal and implied it will be announced this week or next.
Fucking hell, I hope he's wrong.

If we have to roll out Glenn from the nursing home next year then we are fucked.

Although if any of Badel's drivel is true, maybe we've signed someone like Luke Capewell and told Piakura they won't match BS offers for someone who hasn't played first grade yet.

Last edited:
Deadset, listening to Holbrook on 360, we could have got this bloke! I cannot think of many decisions we've gotten right over the last 5-6 years.

If we have to roll out Glenn from the nursing home next year then we are fucked.

Although if any of Badel's drivel is true, maybe we've signed someone like Luke Capewell and told Piakura they won't match BS offers for someone who hasn't played first grade yet.

i hope you mean Kurt Capewell ... not Luke

Although if any of Badel's drivel is true, maybe we've signed someone like Luke Capewell and told Piakura they won't match BS offers for someone who hasn't played first grade yet b

Badel is saying we've signed Capewell?? Man, some good news on the recruitment and retention front would be such a nice breath of fresh air.

Like, apparently Riki is close to re-signing...yet hasn't.

Deadset, listening to Holbrook on 360, we could have got this bloke! I cannot think of many decisions we've gotten right over the last 5-6 years.

so far all he has done is talk ... still hasn't done anything of note as a coach yet

Also, listening between the lines, Holbrook was very careful how he worded things when asked about Coates and Staggs and basically admitted the agents have asked them if they are interested in them. Basically admitted they are looking at 3 or 4 Broncos and are expecting to get at least one.

so far all he has done is talk ... still hasn't done anything of note as a coach yet

Sure, but he sure as anything has done better than the plodder we are paying million(s) of dollars now NOT to coach us.

Additionally, the Gold Coast have long been what we are now, a basket case and yet, they are on their way up with the ability to attract players, something they've never been able to do before (flexible salary cap notwithstanding) and have a really good structure.

He also said he was attracted to the club because of the people and structures they have in support. He may be a flop...but he sure doesn't look like he will be and he is coming from a VERY successful coaching time in the super league.

Yeah the league's club is on the main street in the city, 5-10 min walk.

Thinking of going to the Cows game on the weekend, you reckon even the cheap seats are a decent view? Not paying good money to watch the Cowboys.

If we can manage a decent win against the Dogs this week I'll wear one of my Broncos jerseys.
All the seats are ok it just depends whether you prefer watching side on or end on.
Seats behind the goalposts are cheaper which is where I sat. I just got them elevated so I was looking down on the ground which was good. If you want to do that go for the southern end as it’s covered and the other end doesn’t have that many rows so you can’t sit up very high.
It’s a personal preference though.

Sure, but he sure as anything has done better than the plodder we are paying million(s) of dollars now NOT to coach us.

Additionally, the Gold Coast have long been what we are now, a basket case and yet, they are on their way up with the ability to attract players, something they've never been able to do before (flexible salary cap notwithstanding) and have a really good structure.

He also said he was attracted to the club because of the people and structures they have in support. He may be a flop...but he sure doesn't look like he will be and he is coming from a VERY successful coaching time in the super league.

They are only attracting players because they are paying massive overs. It's not sustainable, and will be to their own detriment in the not too distant future. They can't keep finding reasons to discard players and not contribute to their signed value, and even if they actually do start performing to a level that the media are hyping them up to be, there will all of a sudden be a lot of players in that squad that will be due for big upgrades.

Holbrook was probably sold on the job when the NRL basically gave the club an "anything goes" when it comes to recruiting players and a whole host of big name "ambassadors" talking the club up big time, even if the reality is far from what they're selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.