NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always rated Andrew Johns as one of the best when it comes to analysing games and moments in them. And he sees it straight away, unlike most of them.

Joey is like Gus. When he's on-song he's unparralleled but when he's in one of his moods he's intolerable.

Broncos are going to win the comp because science.
This account does have some good stuff though.

No Cronk, but we still have to suffer with Braith Anasta. Maybe Cronk turned them down? Would explain why he's working with the Storm now? I think he had potential.

Has to be it, maybe he got another job offer. But there’s no way Fox wouldn’t have wanted him.
[automerge]1583145960[/automerge]
A show each week by Sterlo and Cronk breaking down each game of the round would be immense and something the Fox Sports coverage desperately needs.

There's no analysis shows. I think the Big League Wrap was meant to be that? If it was, they have failed.

Matt Elliott used to (maybe still does?) do analysis on NRL.com which was always good, could easily be a 30 minute show each week.

Last edited:

Broncos are going to win the comp because science.
This account does have some good stuff though.

Broncos to win with the 5th least experienced side?
It seems science says experience isn't the most important thing.
Are you reading this Seibold?

So got around to watching the new NRL ad reviving (and butchering) Simply the Best.

a number of eye-rolling ‘oof’ moments as a few articles online have now shown people picking up on. Just so half-baked which is almost expected now from the suits in Sydney.

NRL loves shooting itself in the foot any chance it gets.

Side note: very happy that Brigginshaw was featured instead of Sergis/Kelly/Bremner etc

Last edited:
I was never a fan of bringing Simply The Best back.

It was a wonderful campaign for the early 90s, but the game has evolved since then and the game hasn't really found anything remotely memorable since The Hoodoo Guru's That's My Team campaign.

Still, there's always been a demand for it and if they were going to bring it back, that was the way to do it. Celebrate the game's history, shine a light on how it represents the wider community and feature a few of the game's stars.

I don't think it represents the game as well as it should. It's just trying to do too many things at once but otherwise it's a solid ad.

I preferred last year's ad where they featured all the new stars of the competition.

It just needed to be less moody and a better choice of theme song.

The 2018 ad was weak as piss.

Another really moody ad that didn't actually sell the game.

The 2016-17 campaigns were all about social media and were generic as anything.

Forget Captain's Challenges, this is the stuff the NRL should really be working on. The Tina Turner campaign is an improvement, but it's a stop gap until they can come up with something relevant.

Last edited:
The original ad

Tina Turner, one of the biggest R&B artists in the midst of her comeback flies all the way to the otherside of the world with her entourage just so she can see the best sport on earth - Rugby League. She doesn't have a team, she just has an appreciation for what these players put themselves through and wants to pay her respects. She's honoured just to play a traditional Australian game of beach footy and she's so ecstatic by the end she throws her arms up at the air like she's achieved ultimate satisfaction.

Nobody is alone stalking players in the car-park to remind them they left their club - it's just a fun ad featuring a celebrity hanging out with the stars of the game.

Last edited:
Compared to...

7-year old Cameron Smith is sitting by himself alone with his football in his suburban home in Brisbane. It's dark and extremely gloomy when his haunted television flickers on and he rushes to the television to watch an ad.

Cut to present day and in a gloomy locker room with strobe lights Nicoll-Klokstead is boxing with Jarrod Croker.

We're then reminded of the people they play for. It's the Raiders fans of all shapes, sizes, creeds walking down the street to get to the game. To emphasise the point, they all stand perfectly still for a photo.

Cut to a dark tunnel as Parramatta players make their way onto a field.

Cut to a dark training paddock where a bunch of Manly players, namely the Trbojevic brothers are passing the ball.

Flashback to October 4th 1996 where Tom Trbojevic who was only born two days prior is seen playing with Jake Trbojevic in his backyard as one of the darkest periods in the game's history is referenced.

Cut to the present and Tommy Talau is training alone as Pat Richards, John Skandalis and Brett Hodgson look on in judgement.

Tyson Frizell is seen alone running up a quiet street presumably at dawn showing his hard work. The music then cuts out and everything goes silent for a second. The camera cuts to Latrell Mitchell standing alone in a beach at either dusk or dawn as he's serenaded by a lone voice coming from a young Indigenous girl. Some Indigenous kids are shown playing beach footy in these gloomy conditions.

Cut to Brisbane and we're driving past Ali Brigginshaw, taking our time just to check her out. She's on her way to the gym as she walks past a poster filled with all the Immortals to let you know she belongs in the same sentence as those great players. We're then shown some footage of her scoring a try.

Flashback to 2009 at a barbers where a bunch of Lebanese men gather to watch Hazem El Masri's final regular season game.

Flashback to 1995 to the Warriors first game and watch them score a try in a losing effort.

Fastforward to the 2000 Rabbitohs protest and John Sutton is a part of the crowd. Back then he was lifting a sign, fast forward to 2014 and he's lifting a premiership. We're also reminded me of Newcastle's 1997 win, Penrith's 2003 win, Brisbane's 2006 win, St George's 2010 win, North Queensland's 2015 win, Brisbane's 2018 or 2019 NRLW's win, Cronulla's 2016 win* and finally Sydney Rooster's 2019 win. We then see a mural of the 1974 Grand Final before the NRL fly out the biggest star they could the sax man!

Cut back to Trbojevic at training for some reason.

We then get some footage of Preston Campbell at the Gold Coast. First being swarmed on by Indigenous kids and then some brief highlights.

Back to some Grand Final Highlights. We get

- Sattler's 2003 tackle
- GI's 2014 goanna,

We're then reminded of the steel workers of Newcastle losing their job in 1997. They're shown in a Newcastle pub watching the grand final and drowning their sorrows until Joey sends Albert over. They stay on this for awhile as the pub goes crazy with a bunch of young women front row and centre, then we later see Joey get off the bus and get swamped by fans.

We then get the Benji to Richards flick pass from 2005. 10 years later the Cowboys get their revenge as we see JT kick a field goal he's been practicing since he was a junior kicking goals.

The Raiders fans Viking Clap to the field goal, two Newcastle girls are seen celebrating and it cuts straight away to the Origin kiss between opposition players. We then get a reminder of Macklemore's same sex marriage protest while the ad re-enforces that this was a huge moment for equality.

Nicoll-Klokstad raises his arms in the air, a young Indigenous child looks into a camera and Tyson Frizell spots the camera and runs away from it in a dark and gloomy street.

Flashback to 7-year old Cameron Smith sitting in his dark and gloomy lounge room by himself with only his football to keep him company. In the future a young caucasian female is watching Cameron Smith celebrate 400 games as not-Andrew Voss waxes lyrical. The female who is alone in a dark and gloomy room with only her football keeping her company runs out her front door that is wide open.

It's just so busy, it's trying to say a lot and even then it can't say everything and a lot of communities like the Polynesians are woefully under-represented. That's really glaring, especially after Tonga's incredible win during the International season. It's a mess and in cannon, Cameron Smith heard Tina's dulcet tones as 7 year old and went onto to become THE best.

The first time I saw it I just saw the highlights. Tina Turner, a younger generation getting into the game, past highlights, a few stars and a couple of communities being recognised. When you actually break it down, it doesn't really have a vision and so much of it is so gloomy.

The Channel 9 ad is pretty basic but at least it sells the actual game. Brief footage of past greats being inter-cut with current greats so you don't have players standing alone at a beach draped in an Indigenous flag, while a young girl is roped into singing Simply The Best by herself.

Not sure where to post this as I can't find the expansion thread? Please move mods if need be...

Heard easts are putting in a bid for the 17th nrl team.... Very, very good idea I think. In the city so creates a rivalry and is able to dip into the city businesses. Also rugby league is losing ground in South Brisbane. Perfect location with great facilities and a rich leagues club too. And creates a South vs North rivalry

Not sure where to post this as I can't find the expansion thread? Please move mods if need be...

Heard easts are putting in a bid for the 17th nrl team.... Very, very good idea I think. In the city so creates a rivalry and is able to dip into the city businesses. Also rugby league is losing ground in South Brisbane. Perfect location with great facilities and a rich leagues club too. And creates a South vs North rivalry

I was thinking about this the other day from a BHQ perspective.

We should definitely put together an Official Thread that covers all the stories and if it gets the go ahead, put together a board to help attract fans who want to know more and help grow the Brisbane Rugby League community.

I was going to do it myself, but honestly I haven't followed it that closely. My first reaction is always 'why not Perth?' but then I begin to think about the balance of power and how adding another Brisbane team would only strengthen the QRL.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this the other day from a BHQ perspective.

We should definitely put together an Official Thread that covers all the stories and if it gets the go ahead, put together a board to help attract fans who want to know more and help grow the Brisbane Rugby League community.

I was going to do it myself, but honestly I haven't followed it that closely. My first reaction is always 'why not Perth?' but then I begin to think about the balance of power and how adding another Brisbane team would only strengthen the QRL.
For me I'd prefer Perth if only one team is added but the nswrl is short sighted they want INSTANT success with no long term growth plans (due to Sydney clubs literally depending on the nrl handouts haha what a joke) . I'd actually prefer 2 teams with East Brisbane to be number 2 due to the reasons I said before. The nrl don't notice but I live in South Brisbane and Rugby league is losing a lot of ground to other options for kids around here. People are sick of how the nrl is souffs/Sydney focused. And the media is attrocious

The stuff about not enough quality players is absolute bullshit. Fiji, PNG, Tonga and Samoa just for starters. More incentives to develop players would also help and union is dying in Australia so there is definitely enough given investment. And anyway, the quality will lift to what standard is set!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the new advert for what it was. Everyone’s a critic these days.

I was fine with it until I paid attention and realised how miserable the ad was. Just some really odd choices through out that fails to show the game in it's best light.

The media outrage is ridiculous and if anything I wanted to see more diversity in the ad.

Last edited:
The Fox version is out, have a look on the foxsports.com.au website.

All I got to say:

3rrrjk

Rothfield reporting that Cronk will in fact be working for Fox this year ...

Paul Kent / Paul Crawley very strongly hinting that Bennett will be coaching the new Brisbane side on NRL 360.

As I predicted. Was pretty obvious, all sits together too nicely to be a coincidence.

ESPN are exploring the option of broadcasting NRL games in the US now that the big global competitions are in recess.

I guess that's a big positive for the NRL. Continuing to play on could potentially lead to more broadcast agreements overseas due to the lack of sport being played.

However, the crowds will still be an issue. People will lose interest at some point. The crowd adds so much to a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • Maddy
  • broncos4life
  • HarryAllan7
  • Alec
  • LittleDavey
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Sproj
  • BroncoFan94
  • DrGee
  • broncsgoat
  • Wolfie
  • Behold
  • sooticus
  • Splinter
  • achievedrap
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bronx48
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.