NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall much happening under Greenberg's watch. It was David Smith who negotiated the TV rights deals and pissed NewsCorp off with his FTA deal that gave 9 the rights to broadcast certain Saturday games. As a response, the AFL received a crazy TV rights deal.

All I remember is that the NRL tried a rule crackdown under Greenberg, it failed and we were back to the drawing board.

Clubs were also breaching the salary cap left right and centre and getting a slap on the wrist for it.

Worth noting that V'landys and Greenberg occupied different positions on the board. Greenberg was the CEO, whereas V'landys was the chairman. If you wanted to compare V'landys to anyone, it'd be his namesake Peter Beattie and it's safe to say for better or worse V'landys has made more of an impact. From the outside looking in, it just seemed like Beattie was a short term hire between Grant & V'landys.

There were a few criticisms to be made of Grant. The darkest day in sport was a bad look for the game, but then again there's plenty of blame there, especially with ASADA offering plea deals.

Plus any time someone comes out and feels a need to say we are number 1 and not them and the other side does not respond, it is like going to a trashy fast food joint that has 'good food' written on their boxes. If you are the best (the AFL), you don't need to say anything at all because the facts speak for themselves.
Vlando's comment only came out yesterday didn't it??

I'm sure a journo will try to get a response out of the AFL... they may not get much, but ultimately it will be the AFL media that come into bat for them, because they actually seem to protect their sport.

You rarely ever see anything come out about AFL players doing anything bad... unless it's really fucking bad... like old mate just this week has been trafficking cocaine and trying to sell it to his team mates... but you can't tell me that AFL players aren't out on the piss making dicks of themselves, and yet Patty and Reyno are in the headlines for like a whole week because Patty didn't want to jump into a cab.

Maybe instead of fining the players the AFL just pay off the journos or players to keep things out of the spotlight 🤔🤔

Who was Greenberg again I have forgotten about him

So it seems that fucking up one competition isn't enough for Vlandys ...

The NRL are reportedly investigating purchasing the English Super League

No! Leave us one good league comp in the world please!

Who was Greenberg again I have forgotten about him
Greenberg-getty-2.jpg

I thought he was a good CEO at the Bulldogs and really did a lot to get them back on track.

I'm struggling to remember anything he did as an NRL CEO that made a huge impact. The game was earning all this money from television rights and yet player development and the quality of the competition appeared to be stagnate.

That's not entirely on him, but something had to give, and at least with Abdo there the game is actually making some moves. It may not always be implemented as well as it could be, but despite Penrith dominating the competition the past four years, we're seeing a lot of growth in the game.

Should have been bought years ago imo id love a
So it seems that fucking up one competition isn't enough for Vlandys ...

The NRL are reportedly investigating purchasing the English Super League
personally i think it should have happened years ago,esl is pretty stagnate if not going backwards over the last 30 years

Greenberg-getty-2.jpg

I thought he was a good CEO at the Bulldogs and really did a lot to get them back on track.

I'm struggling to remember anything he did as an NRL CEO that made a huge impact. The game was earning all this money from television rights and yet player development and the quality of the competition appeared to be stagnate.

That's not entirely on him, but something had to give, and at least with Abdo there the game is actually making some moves. It may not always be implemented as well as it could be, but despite Penrith dominating the competition the past four years, we're seeing a lot of growth in the game.
Oh Him thanks @Big Pete

No! Leave us one good league comp in the world please!
Did you see what Nu Brown got red carded for over night???

Looking like Vlando is already in charge over there... or they're trying to lower their price so they can be bought

Did you see what Niu got red carded for over night???

Looking like Vlando is already in charge over there... or they're trying to lower their price so they can be bought

No, I've only watched the first half of London v Catalans. Was it in the second half or the other game?

No, I've only watched the first half of London v Catalans. Was it in the second half or the other game?
Not sure just saw it pop up on Fox Sports News... I'm still not even sure what he did to get sent

I watched that game. I know Superleague are clamping down with forceful contact to the head, but they have taken the commons sense away from the decision making.

There's no way to justify the decision

I'm watching the game now and there is a super controversial penalty try given to Warrington straight after half time. Hull really got screwed by that ref.

I don't recall much happening under Greenberg's watch. It was David Smith who negotiated the TV rights deals and pissed NewsCorp off with his FTA deal that gave 9 the rights to broadcast certain Saturday games. As a response, the AFL received a crazy TV rights deal.

All I remember is that the NRL tried a rule crackdown under Greenberg, it failed and we were back to the drawing board.

Clubs were also breaching the salary cap left right and centre and getting a slap on the wrist for it.

Worth noting that V'landys and Greenberg occupied different positions on the board. Greenberg was the CEO, whereas V'landys was the chairman. If you wanted to compare V'landys to anyone, it'd be his namesake Peter Beattie and it's safe to say for better or worse V'landys has made more of an impact. From the outside looking in, it just seemed like Beattie was a short term hire between Grant & V'landys.

There were a few criticisms to be made of Grant. The darkest day in sport was a bad look for the game, but then again there's plenty of blame there, especially with ASADA offering plea deals.

In all my time watching and or working in the game, no one has ever liked anyone running the game. No one has ever done a good job and no one has ever got a single thing right.

Arko and Quayle- ruined the game, Livermore and Ron had favourites like Wynnum.

Bring on Super League then everything will be fixed, no I hate Ribot. He ruined the game.

If only we had a Commision then everything would be sweet- no I hate Beattie and don't like Grant.

Ikin would be as close as you get to universally liked but I bet if he was CEO of the NRL and not QRL everyone would be gunning for him in two months.

If I was the Hull coach and the captain I would have just walked off the field in protest at that decision against Nu Brown. That is an absolute joke. That is the worst decision I have ever seen in any sport.

In all my time watching and or working in the game, no one has ever liked anyone running the game. No one has ever done a good job and no one has ever got a single thing right.

Arko and Quayle- ruined the game, Livermore and Ron had favourites like Wynnum.

Bring on Super League then everything will be fixed, no I hate Ribot. He ruined the game.

If only we had a Commision then everything would be sweet- no I hate Beattie and don't like Grant.

Ikin would be as close as you get to universally liked but I bet if he was CEO of the NRL and not QRL everyone would be gunning for him in two months.
Both Ikin and Trodden seem out of sight out of mind when it comes to the general fan. I don't think Ikin has been in the job long enough to really draw a negative fan response, although I was surprised to read some negative comments around the traps. The decision to get rid of the Colts may have rubbed some people up the wrong way.

So much of it is media driven and typically they're out of sight out of mind. V'landys is the exception where he's constantly making a spectacle of himself and working with the media to drum up publicity. He's done a fair job of that and while his approach has been chaotic at times (I feel for the officials more than anyone) he's done a great job of getting them onside.

Meanwhile David Smith was brought to seek out the best TV deal, he did that but in doing so put a few noses out of joint and the media did everything they could to run him and Grant out of office. Is my memory that bad, or did anything happen under Beattie? He had his hands full with the Commonwealth Games at the time, it always seemed like an interim move. If you can organise the Commonwealth Games and athletes around the world, you can help host the Rugby League World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wild Horse
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.