NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's the back up kicker for Souths?

Goodwin i think ... assuming he makes the side.
I guess he's going to be there now. It's a terrible shame about Reynolds but it solves my problem of not having a kicker while Croker is out. I'm trying really hard not to giggle.

They've got a few options - Walker, Goodwin & Cook. If you've got nobody else, it's worth a gamble specially given the calibre of opposition. Souths may go 0-4 but considering they're up against Wests, Manly, Newcastle and Sydney they should at least be able to bag you 3 goals.

It's also good news for anyone who has a Souths backrow since Sutton/Walker will be the halves combination.

Tohu Harris out for the first 8-10 weeks with a foot stress fracture. Compounded with the loss of Proctor in the offseason, the storm are going to be ripe for the pickings in the forward pack.

COWBOYS champion Johnathan Thurston is considering extending his career until 2019, revealing the pain of missing last year’s grand final pushed him to breaking point.

The Maroons maestro says he isn’t satisfied with his 2015 premiership heroics and wants to deliver another title to North Queensland in his twilight years.

The 33-year-old is in preliminary talks with the Cowboys on a fresh 12-month extension and is widely expected to retire at the end of next season.

But the Maroons ace has not ruled out playing on in 2019, saying he is determined to help mentor the club’s emerging stars if co-captain Matt Scott is lost to the club.

Thurston will run out against Canberra in the season opener next week motivated by the Cowboys’ diabolic semi-final loss to Cronulla last season.

The Sharks went on to claim the NRL crown from the Cowboys and Thurston admits Cronulla’s grand final triumph was so painful he nearly cried in his backyard.

“To be honest, I couldn’t watch the grand final,” he said. “I tried to watch it. It was just the way we lost against the Sharks, it still burns me.

“I started watching it, they kicked off and it just hit me like a ton of bricks.

“We had a few friends at home. I went and sat outside. I was close to crying. I had some good mates playing in that game, but I just couldn’t watch it.

“I couldn’t put my finger on why I was so emotional, but when I look back, it was the way we played against the Sharks — it wasn’t us.

“It’s definitely motivation for me. The fire still burns, 100 per cent.

“I want another ring, it drives me. I know it’s a long season and things don’t always go your way, you are under pressure and it’s a rollercoaster, but I’m here to win another premiership.”

A veteran of 292 NRL games, Thurston intends to retire next season, but a confluence of forces could see him soldier on beyond his 35th birthday in 2019.

Thurston will retire from representative football after this year’s World Cup and believes a singular focus on the Cowboys could buy his body another year in the NRL.

And with Scott weighing up a possible $2.5 million move to the Knights, Thurston is reluctant to see the collapse of a Cowboys club he turned into a force.

“I haven’t spoken to Greeny about this, but there’s a chance I could go on,” he said.

“At this stage, 2018 could be the end, but when I don’t play Origin footy (next year), depending how the body is, there is a possibility I will go around again in 2019.

“It would be extremely sad (if Scott left). A few of the boys are in their early 30s, but we have a great junior system that keeps producing talent and we need to keep that on track.

“That (mentoring the next generation) is certainly a factor for me. I love the club and what they have done for me, so playing on (in 2019) could be a possibility if it came up.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...h/news-story/cb0668c20a692fe2cb275fcb1f9eb775

Not sure if its legit but i heard somewhere that Shaun Fensom has signed with cowboys

whats everyones thoughts on that signing? IMO it is a bit of a useless signing as they already have Jason Taumalolo at lock which means hell be a bench player and to me he doesnt really offer any impact of the bench

whats everyones thoughts on that signing? IMO it is a bit of a useless signing as they already have Jason Taumalolo at lock which means hell be a bench player and to me he doesnt really offer any impact of the bench

Curious signing. They lost two middle forwards in Tamou and Hannant, but Fensom isn't really a like for like replacement for either.

Perhaps they play him at lock with Lolo off the bench at prop or on an edge? Hard to see, considering there was talk of making room for Hess this year, which would cut someone else's minutes. I'd assumed it would push Lowe to lock when Lolo was off. Would seem to make the Fensom signing pretty redundant.

Could just be depth too. Guess we'll see?

Interesting to see how they go this year. Scott and Lolo can still cart it up, but it was their ability to play both plus Tamou at once that made them unstoppable up the middle.

There are a lot of teams that could make great use of Fensom. The Cows aren't one.

He's really only suited to the #13. Similar to Parker (who I don't believe should have played prop). And big minutes. So yeah, unless they plan on moving Taumalolo to prop then I don't see a point.

the only reason i can think of is that maybe they know they will loose Taumalolo to eels and Fensom is the cowboys replacment lock

the only reason i can think of is that maybe they know they will loose Taumalolo to eels and Fensom is the cowboys replacment lock

Come again?

Since when has Lolo to the Eels been a thing? Can't see the Cows letting him go, much less to Parramatta.

Come again?

Since when has Lolo to the Eels been a thing? Can't see the Cows letting him go, much less to Parramatta.

I think it was on the news on Thursday.

Eels are chasing Taumalolo and Hayne.

I think it was on the news on Thursday.

Eels are chasing Taumalolo and Hayne.

Well I'll be. Missed that.

Can't see it happening though. He's a linchpin for the Cowboys, they'll be prepared to shell out whatever he wants. Particularly with Scott winding down (still rate him), they'd be crazy to let him go.

Eels chasing Hayne and Taumololo? Have they never learned about salary cap breaches?

LAST week’s financial report on the 16 NRL clubs shows why the league has to bring in a second Brisbane team to stop the Broncos’ monopoly.
Why have a salary cap to level the playing field when the Broncos get such a huge advantage from having a capital city to themselves?
They have no opposition outside of rugby’s Reds and AFL’s Lions. They can attract more lucrative sponsors because they get more eyeballs on prime time television almost every Friday night., their revenue is $15 million more than some of their rivals.
Meanwhile, nine Sydney clubs are fighting among themselves for corporate support in the one city. Plus the Waratahs, GWS Giants, Sydney Swans, Sydney FC and the Western Sydney Wanderers.
Suncorp Stadium is the best rugby league venue in Australia. It needs to be used EVERY weekend, not just once a fortnight for the Broncos on Friday nights.
A second Brisbane or Ipswich team needs to become an NRL priority.

More agenda driven "journalism" from one of the usual suspects - Rothfield in the Telegraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • LittleDavey
  • bazza
  • Redux
  • GCBRONCO
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • jd87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • Strop
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • ezpz
  • Foordy
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.