NRL Media Discussion

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
One of my favourite aspects of Rugby League is seemingly all the NRL related TV shows and media personalities, so why not make one big thread dedicated to it?

I'll start us off on a rundown.

Sunday Footy Show - Usually skip this in favour of watching the NYC or general Sunday lunch-time hijinx. Used to make a point of watching the Roast but it was only good as a spin-off as Boots N All. Gus/Voss there with MG as the grenade thrower and whoever as the punching bag was good TV.

Matty Johns: Is sort of what I expect a modern Footy Show to be like. Matty makes a decent host but not really sold on those on the couch. Kind of think he needs to keep mixing it up because the likes of Gordie, Hindy and Fletch are limited on what they can say.

NRL 360: I really like a lot of ideas behind the show and tend to catch it a lot but I just don't buy Ikin/Kent as a duo. It's like putting Brett Finch & Ray Hadley together.

Sterlo: For whatever reason, I only catch the odd episode. It's a perfectly fine show but outside of the late mail, there usually isn't a lot to get out of it.

The Footy Show: Is sort of an institution on Thursday nights. If we're being frank, it's the worst show of the lot, but has the odd chuckle and the odd fun segment worth watching.

NRL 360: I really like a lot of ideas behind the show and tend to catch it a lot but I just don't buy Ikin/Kent as a duo. It's like putting Brett Finch & Ray Hadley together.

This is the only one I try to make the effort to watch

......occasionally Sterlo

Ikin & Kunt are perplexing. They're both shunts, but who in the mainstream is any better? As much as I dislike Kent, his info usually isn't too far off.

I probably listen to the radio more ...... mainly TripleM (Ginnane/Sterlo/Johns/Rabs.....groan)

Weekends with Tony Squires can be a laugh. Wendall, Girdler....Gordie crack me up.

I haven't watched to many Rugby League shows this year but I do enjoy a good fix of the Sterlo show. Very good honest discussion on the game.

I do like the mic'd up segments on Sterlo. I find myself watching that more than anything else. I usually have it playing in the background while doing other stuff.

Willie Mason was the best one.

"Oh Dugan, what are you doing you ****?"

Last edited:
Mr Fourex said:
Ikin & Kunt are perplexing. They're both shunts, but who in the mainstream is any better? As much as I dislike Kent, his info usually isn't too far off.

Fair point.

Would much rather Vossy and Gould - but it is what it is.

Thankfully the format of the show keeps things moving and I like a lot of pieces they do and how they incorporate multiple sources. It's really refreshing to hear the ABC Call spliced into the Channel 9 footage and getting that perspective.

As far as radio goes, I barely listen but when I do, I don't mind tuning into ABC Grandstand and catching the Wok talk about football because he used to be big on player and team analysis and that's right up my alley. Continuous Call Team isn't bad to listen to on a long drive with nothing else to do - I find the Big Marn far more hilarious on that show than on TFS.

One of my favourite footy relate segments is the micd up players on sterlo. Great insight.

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Broncorob
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.