CROSS FORUM NRL Round 15 Discussion

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Im taking the piss obviously but there is a massive overreaction from it and its ruining these games

It's not really a hard decision to make for the refs, they're adjudicating based on whether or not the defender bent his back and if he didn't, where else could he have hit him?

Hard to make a case for the defenders in question when they're not making an effort at the very least lower their own height and essentially lower where they're trying to make contact.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
So...how did the Roosters manage to sign Crighton again, when they had to let him go due to no cap space? An Origin and international rep? And then signed Jennings again as well? Was any of that ever explained?

Jennings would be on minimum wages . He`s mid 30s coming back from a performance enhancing drug suspension . Hadn`t played last 3 years . A gamble to sign him in the 30 .
That white in his hair is not for fashion . He is old ; debuted in 2009 .

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Oh is that what it was, cheers. I thought it was for this year and there was no money so it looked like he'd be out of the club, then it was quiet for a while and all of a sudden he was re-signed and all was somehow fine. This makes sense.

It doesn’t explain it. The chickens were trying to offload Crichton this year because of mental health related reasons and then they signed Leniu and Young plus Suaalii was apparently getting a bigger slice this year. Then it all went silent.

No explanation has been given. All the things @JayPee has mentioned are for next year, no explanation for how they managed to keep Crichton this year other than Oinkle Noick is soich a goid goiy that it’s oinly fair this is the oitcoime.

SeaEagleRock8

Silvertails
It doesn’t explain it. The chickens were trying to offload Crichton this year because of mental health related reasons and then they signed Leniu and Young plus Suaalii was apparently getting a bigger slice this year. Then it all went silent.

No explanation has been given. All the things @JayPee has mentioned are for next year, no explanation for how they managed to keep Crichton this year other than Oinkle Noick is soich a goid goiy that it’s oinly fair this is the oitcoime.
yep, similar to the other club that keeps signing big stars nowadays, as Arthur Laundie said when coming on board as sponsor a few years ago:

“I like to talk to the players about life after football and where they intend going.
“If I can help them get there, I will be helping.”

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

I wonder if poor old Cheese has realised his life after football will no longer be rounds of golf with Uncle Nick and is more likely to be attending old boys days at Leichhardt Oval

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Jennings would be on minimum wages . He`s mid 30s coming back from a performance enhancing drug suspension . Hadn`t played last 3 years . A gamble to sign him in the 30 .
That white in his hair is not for fashion . He is old ; debuted in 2009 .
No I understand he'd be playing for a chicken sandwich, if that's what they do at the Roosters, (minimum wage, I know) - just that they had cap issues and needed to offload a player, then didn't offload him but still signed someone else as well.

Thanks, this is more what I was thinking of - I knew there were cap issues for this year with Angus that there was a lot of noise about trying to find him another club because they couldn't afford him, then it went quiet and then it was apparently, somehow, all good - and they signed more players afterwards.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
It's not really a hard decision to make for the refs, they're adjudicating based on whether or not the defender bent his back and if he didn't, where else could he have hit him?

Hard to make a case for the defenders in question when they're not making an effort at the very least lower their own height and essentially lower where they're trying to make contact.
Exactly. Joey Manu came flying in to stop the backline sweep multiple times last night and bent his back, got low and nailed it every time. It can be done and a big shot still put on in the process.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
IIRC, Crighton wasn't even properly signed at the start of last year. They had him tacked on as a development player or something because the NRL wouldn't let them register the proper contract because they'd be over the cap if doing so. But then, somehow, because of "mental health" reasons he took some time out of the game, my assumption is that they somehow got salary cap exemption for it (allowing him to stay but his contract not pushing them over the cap) and bang, this year he's all better and playing like a gun, and everything is okay. Not suss at all.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
Im confused... Crichton already had a contract. He extended end of 2022 for 2 years for 600k a season. I dont think there was talks about them not being able to afford him then? What am I missing? They are in talks to keep him now. There was heaps of chatter they wouldnt be able to resign him for 2025 onwards before the fifita and the rest of the list started to dwindle with the retirements etc.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
So...how did the Roosters manage to sign Crighton again, when they had to let him go due to no cap space? An Origin and international rep? And then signed Jennings again as well? Was any of that ever explained?

They haven't re-signed him, he's off contract end of this year. They let him talk to Rugby when he wanted to do that but that didn't come to anything, and they wanted cap relief for him when he was out of the game for treatment for his bipolar last year- which was denied by the NRL.

He could sign with another club for 25 if he wanted.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Im confused... Crichton already had a contract. He extended end of 2022 for 2 years for 600k a season. I dont think there was talks about them not being able to afford him then? What am I missing? They are in talks to keep him now. There was heaps of chatter they wouldnt be able to resign him for 2025 onwards before the fifita and the rest of the list started to dwindle with the retirements etc.

Yes the issue was reportedly that they had signed Leniu and Young and this put them over the cap this year because Suaalli’s wage has also gone up. Reportedly to get back under the cap, they needed to offload Crichton early hence him looking at going to Union. Then that fell through and then it was somehow miraculously all good.

J

Jazza

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Number 4 bats back the short drop out and number 9 cleans up the crumbs and scores….. Nah, not familiar!

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
That 2nd Manly try was a joke, if Flanagan hits the deck and sells it, it’s a no try, plain and simple.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Yes the issue was reportedly that they had signed Leniu and Young and this put them over the cap this year because Suaalli’s wage has also gone up. Reportedly to get back under the cap, they needed to offload Crichton early hence him looking at going to Union. Then that fell through and then it was somehow miraculously all good.

They won't register a contract if it puts you over the cap. Any new contracts wouldn't be registered.

They never register them and then say by the way you need to get rid of 700k.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
They won't register a contract if it puts you over the cap. Any new contracts wouldn't be registered.

They never register them and then say by the way you need to get rid of 700k.

This is the NRL mate, remember they didn’t catch the Storm either despite two clear sets of books.

And we are talking about a club who has an ex-salary cap boss as a hall of famer.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
How do these idiots continue to get that decision wrong. You can tackle him if you want.

Unread

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Seibs
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.