NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
its Absolutely astonishing that a club that was literally bailed out financially by the nrl is just spending up big recklessly and specifically things linked to the broncos which is ironic because the money that’s generated by the broncos probably helped bail them out!

I fucking hate the titans and now unfortunately maninga, he just comes across as a sneaky germ now. Get your own ideas dickhead!

On the first point, this is a bit harsh and confusing... Do you expect them to just give themselves a self limited smaller salary cap? They made a profit last year even though they got the spoon but thats not going to be sustainable unless they recruit players to win games... which is what they are doing. If you referenced the developments they have planned surrounding the club I may have agreed but again that is so they don't need to be bailed out again and with their own coin. They recruited Tino and Ese'ese from Storm and Knights and then just because they bought Fifita its suddenly specifically targeting the Broncos?

On smith himself, he was linked to the Broncos because of the massive leadership void whereas it had already been talked about on Titans pages for a few weeks prior to that due to everyone knowing his kids were enrolled on the GC etc. Not exactly the Broncos 'idea'?

Last edited:
On the first point, this is a bit harsh and confusing... Do you expect them to just give themselves a self limited smaller salary cap? They made a profit last year even though they got the spoon but thats not going to be sustainable unless they recruit players to win games... which is what they are doing. If you referenced the developments they have planned surrounding the club I may have agreed but again that is so they don't need to be bailed out again and with their own coin. They recruited Tino and Ese'ese from Storm and Knights and then just because they bought Fifita its suddenly specifically targeting the Broncos?

On smith himself, he was linked to the Broncos because of the massive leadership void whereas it had already been talked about on Titans pages for a few weeks prior to that due to everyone knowing his kids were enrolled on the GC etc. Not exactly the Broncos 'idea'?

Come on, there are no Titans' pages or boards. You are talking to yourself in your own head canon aren't you.

It appears that way because Mal has publicly stated he is chasing nearly everyone of our players over the last year and a half. Even your own supporters think it is ridiculous.

It appears that way because Mal has publicly stated he is chasing nearly everyone of our players over the last year and a half. Even your own supporters think it is ridiculous.

I can agree that Mal's 'posturing' is painful to see. To me personally it literally made no sense as if he couldn't seal the deal, it was just embarrassing. I just looked up that 'hit-list' that I am assuming you're referring to and the only Broncos on there were Flegler and Fifita. I won't go into whether he overpaid etc. unless you would like a discussion, as its not relevant currently but the other players included Josh Jackson, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Felise Kaufusi, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Kyle Feldt and Jordan McLean. Hardly just Broncos. I can admit Mal's public statements are ridiculous at times but I stand by the fact he's not just targeting the Broncos. I will also concede there may be other Broncos he has mentioned in passing but I would have to do some further research. Niu would be one actually.

To add food for thought though, obviously it is going to be easier to lure players who have literally gone to school on the GC than poach players with family etc in Sydney. Last time we had players worth poaching you drove up the price for both James and Taylor after already stealing Roberts prior who was arguably one of the only lights in an otherwise dismal team. It works both ways.

Stealing Roberts, lol. Some clown down there forged his signature! Did you expect him to go, “Nah, all good guys, good joke!”?

Stealing Roberts, lol. Some clown down there forged his signature! Did you expect him to go, “Nah, all good guys, good joke!”?

Honestly, at the time I didn't really read too much into it so had no idea who was at fault. Just remember it being dodgy, I will have a look.

Edit: Ahh yes my bad I remember he actually signed the contract but as it happens they revised the State of Origin bonuses after without his knowledge. Idiots.

Last edited:
Come on, there are no Titans' pages or boards. You are talking to yourself in your own head canon aren't you.
Must've been why it took Petey B months to come up with the 'rumour'... he's only just realised the titans have a forum.

It's like his sauces have just doubled!!

Last edited:
Dont know how titties can afford Cam.

Fifita and Cash both $1m players....

They can't, this rumour hasn't come from them. Regardless, Smith is using this rubbish as he has always done, pushing his price up with Melbourne.

They can't, this rumour hasn't come from them. Regardless, Smith is using this rubbish as he has always done, pushing his price up with Melbourne.
This is his last year in Melbourne. He'll announce it soon enough.

Initially I was also under the same impression but if you look at the amount of overpaid players the Titans are letting go this year and the roster in general they actually may. Most of the top 17 at the moment seem to be on chump change. Stole these off the Titans forum (sorry willhelm)...
Arrow - 400k (guess)
Boyd - 600k
Cartwright - 600k
James - 700k
Peats - 600k
Proctor - 550k
Watkins - 400k (guess)
That is already 3.85m before you add to that Roberts and Copley who probably bring it up to at the very least 4.2m. 1.2m of that has been taken up by Fifita, 700k by Tino and reported 400k for Ese'ese adds to only 2.3m, hence leaving them with approx. 2m to play with. Obviously still need to fill top 28 for next year but I didn't add some of the off contract depth to that tally and we have a few juniors ready for promotion from what I hear. Add to that half the list above aren't even in the current top 17 and most of whats needed is depth signings which should be cheap. It is still fanciful but I don't believe it is completely out of question.

Lot of poor value signings on that list. First prize to Cartwright with honourable mention to Boyd. Arrow looks good value.. Pity they couldn't keep him.

Dragons apparently front runners to sign Welch

Initially I was also under the same impression but if you look at the amount of overpaid players the Titans are letting go this year and the roster in general they actually may. Most of the top 17 at the moment seem to be on chump change. Stole these off the Titans forum (sorry willhelm)...
Arrow - 400k (guess)
Boyd - 600k
Cartwright - 600k
James - 700k
Peats - 600k
Proctor - 550k
Watkins - 400k (guess)
That is already 3.85m before you add to that Roberts and Copley who probably bring it up to at the very least 4.2m. 1.2m of that has been taken up by Fifita, 700k by Tino and reported 400k for Ese'ese adds to only 2.3m, hence leaving them with approx. 2m to play with. Obviously still need to fill top 28 for next year but I didn't add some of the off contract depth to that tally and we have a few juniors ready for promotion from what I hear. Add to that half the list above aren't even in the current top 17 and most of whats needed is depth signings which should be cheap. It is still fanciful but I don't believe it is completely out of question.

You do know a club needs 30 players right, not just four almost million dollar players? Almost all the Titans players came in on way over market value because it was the only way they come to the club. There is definitely not a spare $2 million sitting there.

Marsters on his way out of the Cowboys. He has to be comfortably the worst signing of the year. HAve never seen the fuss with him. Lazy, poor in defence and just seems to have no desire.

Marsters on his way out of the Cowboys. He has to be comfortably the worst signing of the year. HAve never seen the fuss with him. Lazy, poor in defence and just seems to have no desire.
And that is why Green is now unemployed. Was never worth stealing away from the Tigers and he was preferred over Opacic [emoji23]

You do know a club needs 30 players right, not just four almost million dollar players? Almost all the Titans players came in on way over market value because it was the only way they come to the club. There is definitely not a spare $2 million sitting there.
I am pretty sure I read the roster shifts from 30-28 for starters so we do need to lose a couple players already. Furthermore what I was trying to suggest in the original post was that although it is not ideal to have 3 million dollar players, given the players we lose are on big money to not even start, if these contracts are instead given to depth signings it is going to in essence average this out, with many of the players we have been blooding being on near minimum wage in order to get a shot at NRL, Joliffe, Lisone, Fogarty, Don is now, Young T, even Thompson was a steal (167k). Add to that Fermor for next year and we have got a large number of the top 17 on pretty small coin realistically. Most of the non top 17 at any club are not going to be breaking the bank and most of ours are yet to play a first grade game. Let us say we get Cam, we would have Taylor, Fifita and Smith on big contracts. Other than that the only two with a substantial salary will be Wallace and Tino with Wallace's contract ending next year along with Taylor's with both of them looking at reductions as it stands if kept. Just take a look at the roster other than those 4 and the only one I can see who would be on anything bordering 500k would be Brimson (Ese'ese is reported at 400k)? On the last point, barely any of next years crop came on overs (other than the 1m players)... we are literally getting rid of 90% of those this year? Look I am not saying it doesn't compromise the re-signing of players going forward. however, given one of these big contracts (if Smith's 2 year deal is assumed) ends each year going forward it is definitely not impossible as you seem to suggest. Some of this contains assumptions on figures obviously but I feel most of them are ballpark and definitely not wild assumptions given most of our squad wasn't chased when we signed them. Happy to be proven wrong as I admit to not being an expert.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.