NEWS NRL salary cap magic number to reach historic milestone

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The Age reporting that the NRL Salary Cap will be $10.5 million in 2023

According to sources familiar with the situation, NRL clubs have been told the total player payment pool is likely to increase to at least $10.5 million next year and then swell by $100,000 for each subsequent year.

This year’s salary cap is set at $9.4 million for a top 30 squad, with $9.118m comprising a base salary cap after the players’ union accepted pay cuts at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.

There is also a $188,000 veteran and developed player allowance and $94,000 for motor vehicle allowances.

A 1.1m increase could see some big player movement. I'd guess only the real superstar players have % clauses so most are on flat numbers.

" The NRL is also looking into an incentive scheme to potentially fund clubs commensurate to the amount of work they do in junior development and increasing participation numbers. "
Interested to see if that ever becomes more than a talking point.

A 1.1m increase could see some big player movement. I'd guess only the real superstar players have % clauses so most are on flat numbers.

" The NRL is also looking into an incentive scheme to potentially fund clubs commensurate to the amount of work they do in junior development and increasing participation numbers. "
Yeh they have been promising this for years, but we are still waiting and watching talent like Walsh walk out the door.

Ridiculous that they'd put it up straight away. Such a knee jersey reaction to something that should of getting planned for years (just like Redcliffe coming in straight away).

Give the clubs AT LEAST another year to adjust and renegotiate their cap ffs.

The thing that worries me about this increase is that it is put in place to counter the hyper inflated market. You want the increase to be proactive not reactive. Cause now every agent will be asking for a 10% (roughly) increase on their players value come contract time on top of the hyper inflation the market has seen off the back of young athletic forwards. For mine Payne was going to balance the market again when it became obvious he wouldn’t command a million dollars. I think when every club heard that they started frothing cause if a deal had gone through where Payne was on less than a million than the whole market would go back to normal specifically in the forwards. This happening probably allows a club to go get Payne on a million and it would be as if he is on 800-900 in the current state the market is in. But it is a flow on effect which allows forwards and their agents to think they have a greater value in the game than what they truly do. Really hard for the NRL to negate and could take a matter of years for all 16 clubs to realise a talented forward is not who you should pay the big bucks.

Look whilst I think the increase is needed for the players to continue to earn their rightful piece of the NRL’s profit pie I think clubs need to take a real hard look at the state the comp is in with such a huge spectrum of diversity in teams abilities that is coming off the back of desperate clubs not having the luxury of managing their cap. Obviously they can’t meet up and decide agree upon a limit forwards can be paid cause that’s collusion but clubs need to take a real hard look at the way the current market structure for forwards is driving a wedge into the slowly (very slowly but it is happening) dying product we all love. Payment structures of players is so vital take one look at the Super Rugby. Dead competition cause of the pay structure. Whilst it is a slightly different situation union is still an indirect competitor of ours and if the money starts going over to union than we could be fucked very quickly. Need to improve this product and keep it at a high standard or there won’t be much of a product left.

Possibly 12-24 months to early to announce this change. Albeit players deserve their piece of the pie but it just won’t be dispersed at the end of the day the same few players with ego’s will be consuming this money from clubs.

The thing that worries me about this increase is that it is put in place to counter the hyper inflated market. You want the increase to be proactive not reactive. Cause now every agent will be asking for a 10% (roughly) increase on their players value come contract time on top of the hyper inflation the market has seen off the back of young athletic forwards. For mine Payne was going to balance the market again when it became obvious he wouldn’t command a million dollars. I think when every club heard that they started frothing cause if a deal had gone through where Payne was on less than a million than the whole market would go back to normal specifically in the forwards. This happening probably allows a club to go get Payne on a million and it would be as if he is on 800-900 in the current state the market is in. But it is a flow on effect which allows forwards and their agents to think they have a greater value in the game than what they truly do. Really hard for the NRL to negate and could take a matter of years for all 16 clubs to realise a talented forward is not who you should pay the big bucks.

Look whilst I think the increase is needed for the players to continue to earn their rightful piece of the NRL’s profit pie I think clubs need to take a real hard look at the state the comp is in with such a huge spectrum of diversity in teams abilities that is coming off the back of desperate clubs not having the luxury of managing their cap. Obviously they can’t meet up and decide agree upon a limit forwards can be paid cause that’s collusion but clubs need to take a real hard look at the way the current market structure for forwards is driving a wedge into the slowly (very slowly but it is happening) dying product we all love. Payment structures of players is so vital take one look at the Super Rugby. Dead competition cause of the pay structure. Whilst it is a slightly different situation union is still an indirect competitor of ours and if the money starts going over to union than we could be fucked very quickly. Need to improve this product and keep it at a high standard or there won’t be much of a product left.

Possibly 12-24 months to early to announce this change. Albeit players deserve their piece of the pie but it just won’t be dispersed at the end of the day the same few players with ego’s will be consuming this money from clubs.
At the very least I think they should go up 550k+550k. 1.1m raise in one go is going to be chaos, but as a fan... The drama is fun.

Payne Haas's manager just changed his pay demands. no longer will he demand 1.2 million a year ... he'll raise it to 1.5 million a year with this cap increase

Payne Haas's manager just changed his pay demands. no longer will he demand 1.2 million a year ... he'll raise it to 1.5 million a year with this cap increase
For someone so against betting he’s taken a massive gamble asking for his release.

so week two of the finals is almost completed and there has still been no decision on next years salary cap.

the players are reportedly seeking:

- A salary cap of $10.4 million for the top 30 players that increases by $400,000 each year thereafter;

- An allowance on top of that cap of $500,000 for long-serving and developed players, taking the cap initially to $10.9 million;

- A 47.8 per cent share of NRL revenue;

- The minimum wage to be increased to $150,000;

- $650,000 to be set aside for up to 10 players on a supplementary list outside the top 30;

- $120 million to be invested in the women’s game over the next five years;

- Women to be paid a minimum wage of at least $30,000;

- Significant investment of up to $50 million for medical support, hardship and transition to retirement for past players

Active Now

• Santa
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • bert_lifts
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Sproj
  • porouian
  • Kev_Guz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Battler
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Foordy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • barker
  • Galah
  • Dash
  • BroncosAlways
  • Culhwch
  • broncotville
  • Fitzy
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.