NRL Season Recommencing

Wishful thinking. They struggle to even find a major sponsor at the best of times, how do they have assets?
They own their stadium... one of the very few that do... maybe even the only one

Probably blind optimism, but am I the only one thinking that it could be a short-term thing?

Why couldn't they use this suspension to sort out the logistics of getting everyone to one location, travel to said location, then just wait the 14 days and re-start the season?

This.

Unless a player or staff member has it, they can't give it to someone else. Keeping them in the one place to stop travel, regular testing etc then they will be all good and the season could continue.

They own their stadium... one of the very few that do... maybe even the only one
It's being revamped I believe to become a designer 30k stadium. Also the club owns a fuckton of land too although some may have been sold.

The thing I'm worried about is the loss in momentum if the season does actually start back up again this year.

We were going great guns with the two wins, and now all of that momentum gone.

I see it as having time for our guys to heal. Especially Lodgey and even Bird at a push. When the season kicks off again we are a healthier, more complete squad and as a bonus we start with four points more than half of the comp.

Those four points start could be the difference between finishing in a top four spot come the end of the season, but the time given for our guys to heal is the real bonus.

Last edited:
From what I'm gathering from V'Landys, he and Greenberg were given a briefing today from a "world renowned" Epidemiologist that scared the shit out of them and they essentially made the decision to pull the plug immediately. Whatever it was that they were told is the big grey area here, because I'm sure they got some information about the current circumstances that the rest of us aren't hearing.

COVID-19 is expected to peak in mid April...

Manly
Titans
Tigers
Cronulla

^^ Those 4 clubs are first cabs off the rank easy, and generally in that order. Would not be surprised if Manly doesn't survive this, at the very least.
Sharks couldn’t manage their way out of a wet paper bag but they have assets (as has already been said). They’ll be ok.

I suspect clubs which are supported by leagues club pokies wil be in trouble; ie Penrith, Parra (suck shit), Bulldogs.

The Titans are fucked this time because the Frizelles are in cars, and that market has gone to shit in literally two days. I’ll be surprised if the Firzelles don’t go broke themselves.

Manly will probably survive because the Penns are stuck with the club at the moment. I mean who is going to buy them out now?

Whatever else happens I suspect you can count on the following:

- Brisbane; Souths; Roosters; Cronulla definitely survive. They have cash/assets
- Manly survive because the Penns can’t get out at the moment
- Nq survive; they have a strong market and the government don’t want a white elephant in the new stadium
- at least 3/4 teams go broke - I suspect one might be Melbourne
- forget about a second Brisbane team any time soon

ps I suspect if the league wants a bail out the clubs finances will have to be handed over to government. If that happens don’t be surprised if we find out that some clubs have been paying more for players than they have been telling the NRL (government won’t care but the records will become subject to FOI or RTI; and someone in league will no doubt be interested).

at least 3/4 teams go broke - I suspect one might be Melbourne

Melbourne have about as much chance of going broke as we do.

the consortium that owns them are very wealthy"

Bart Campbell (Business man)
Matt Tripp (made his money in online bookmaking)
Gerry Harvey (Harvey Norman owner)

Melbourne have about as much chance of going broke as we do.

the consortium that owns them are very wealthy"

Bart Campbell (Business man)
Matt Tripp (made his money in online bookmaking)
Gerry Harvey (Harvey Norman owner)
I don’t know.

Have you seen their financial reports?

My understanding is they are always a good sneeze away from trouble.

I don’t know.

Have you seen their financial reports?

My understanding is they are always a good sneeze away from trouble.

It’s the NRL, outside the Broncs no one is good at handling things financially.

I see it as having time for our guys to heal. Especially Lodgey and even Bird at a push. When the season kicks off again we are a healthier, more complete squad and as a bonus we start with four points more than half of the comp.

Those four points start could be the difference between finishing in a top four spot come the end of the season, but the time given for our guys to heal is the real bonus.

Honestly I wouldn't put it past the NRL to take everyone back to 0 points when it kicks off again. Their most hated teams like the Broncos and Raiders are leading the comp while their favourites (Roosters, Rabbitohs and Cowboys) are all off to a bad start so this would be an easy way for them to let them catch up.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.