NRL TV Deal

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Coxy said:
He'd be a great buy. But he won't leave Union. Marquee Wallaby on $1 million a year, or Broncos five eight on $500k... Yeah right.
TV deal is to be negotiated by this year.
We could be seeing a massive increase in the cap for next year.

The current cap is 4.2 mil(i think) and currently the NRL gets 60 mil a year from tv rights because Gallop undersold the game if they get close to the 1bn tv deal everyone is predicting(very likely a 5 year deal) then the tv money quadruples and that is the games main income.

A doubling of the cap could be likely especially with the independent commission coming into place which will bring some savings as well.

Going to be a huge year for rugby league.

Re: Player Movements and Rumours 2011

broncospwn said:
Coxy said:
He'd be a great buy. But he won't leave Union. Marquee Wallaby on $1 million a year, or Broncos five eight on $500k... Yeah right.

Increase? Probably. Massive? **** no.

broncos777 said:
schmix said:
broncos777 said:
Bucking Beads said:
Coxy said:
He's not special. He's a kiwi. There's a difference.

honest mistake, everytime I hear him give an interview I can't help but think he is very special between the ears.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH [eusa_clap.gi BRAVO MATE! [eusa_clap.gi _woohoo_ LETS GET GROOVY YEWEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYY
broncos777 said:
m1c said:
I'd happily offload Hodges for Idris. However I think whoever gets him will be paying overs.

Not keen on Chambers. He has a few off field distractions.

What's happening with Joe Tomane at the Gold Coast? Now he's a player.
[eusa_naugh AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [eusa_naugh

broncos777 said:
LETS GO, BRON-COS!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: YEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Wow. Dude. People don't respond well to all caps, especially 3 posts in a row. You need to chill or you'll end up with a warning/banning.
Sorry mate. I was just singing the Broncos theme song that is on there website, you know it: LETS GO BRON-COS!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW
Bet somebody has a headache this morning [icon_lol1.

Coxy said:
broncospwn said:
Coxy said:

Increase? Probably. Massive? **** no.
If it's not a massive increase David Gallop should be sacked.
We have inarguably the best TV sport product in the country. Ratings prove this beyond any doubt yet the AFL has a deal way beyond what we have.

I did some research found the figures again. The NRL is on a $500M/6 year contract which is 83 mil p/year. The AFL is on a 780M/5 year deal which is 156 mil p/year. That is DOUBLE what the NRL is on which is shocking and shows just how badly Gallop undersold the game although with the News owning 50% of the NRL there's a clear conflict of interest there.

The AFL is predicting/expecting a $200M increaes to a $1bn deal the NRL in recent years has outshone the AFL in ratings in pretty much every way and in a business where it's all about the ratings NRL should be epexcting a better deal than what ever the AFL gets. Heck even getting the same deal the AFL is on now would be a double increase and allow a big salary cap increase, with a $1bn deal(IMO very possible) we could possibly see a $7-8m salary cap(with 18 teams).

The AFL keeps throwing around this $1b figure - but I can pretty much guaruntee they are not going to get it.

The value of the NRL TV deal is going to depend very much on how many of the FTA networks actually want to bid for it and how much more Foxtel is prepared to offer up - though they are in the position of being the only Pay TV network, so probably won't stump up much more than they currently do).

I believe that Ch 10 (through 1HD) are going to make a very big play for the NRL rights, so it is going to come down to how much Ch 9 wants to keep it and/or how much Ch 7 wants in on the action. Although I am also led to believe that 7 see 10's desire for the NRL as a way for them to get the exclusive free TV AFL rights for not a lot more than they currently pay to share it with Ch 10.

Flutterby said:
The AFL keeps throwing around this $1b figure - but I can pretty much guaruntee they are not going to get it.

The value of the NRL TV deal is going to depend very much on how many of the FTA networks actually want to bid for it and how much more Foxtel is prepared to offer up - though they are in the position of being the only Pay TV network, so probably won't stump up much more than they currently do).

I believe that Ch 10 (through 1HD) are going to make a very big play for the NRL rights, so it is going to come down to how much Ch 9 wants to keep it and/or how much Ch 7 wants in on the action. Although I am also led to believe that 7 see 10's desire for the NRL as a way for them to get the exclusive free TV AFL rights for not a lot more than they currently pay to share it with Ch 10.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Ch 7 pay bigger bucks for exclusive AFL rights. Ch 10 pay bigger bucks for exclusive NRL rights. Ch 9 get left in the cold.

They can always have Super Rugby....

broncospwn: Even if we do get a huge rights deal, I don't want to see all that money thrown away on player salaries. A portion, yes. But not more than say a third of the extra money. The game HAS to put money in a war chest to grow its grassroots in heartland areas AND expansion areas. Time to get serious about forming junior and reserve competitions in Melbourne, and increasing quality of the Perth local competition.

Coxy said:
I think this is the most likely scenario. Ch 7 pay bigger bucks for exclusive AFL rights. Ch 10 pay bigger bucks for exclusive NRL rights. Ch 9 get left in the cold.

or soccer ..................

Coxy said:
broncospwn: Even if we do get a huge rights deal, I don't want to see all that money thrown away on player salaries. A portion, yes. But not more than say a third of the extra money. The game HAS to put money in a war chest to grow its grassroots in heartland areas AND expansion areas. Time to get serious about forming junior and reserve competitions in Melbourne, and increasing quality of the Perth local competition.

True that. The major negative consequence of the explosion of player salaries has been the rapid decrease in money directed to towards grassroots, junior and regional footy (which have all seen a MASSIVE drop in player numbers) and development of the code in non-traditional regions.

But not more than say a third of the extra money. The game HAS to put money in a war chest to grow its grassroots in heartland areas AND expansion areas. Time to get serious about forming junior and reserve competitions in Melbourne, and increasing quality of the Perth local competition

Great post, couldnt agree more icon_thumbs_u

The NRL and league in general finally has a chance to put some money in the bank and have the ability to truly grow the game. Player wages need to be increased but without juniors coming through the ranks the game isnt going to be able to grow.

Coxy said:
Flutterby said:

I think it might even end up with Ch 7 having origin and test matches with Ch 10 taking the regular season games. Perhaps even 2-3 games a week from Ch 10 and one from Ch 7, well at least I hope we get an extra FTA game if Fox doesn't pay up then they don't deserve to keep 5 games, NRL is their biggest drawcard as it always in the top 20 for them.

The thing is though Ch 9 get first and last offer rights so they have the right to match a deal by the other networks and keep the sport. The interesting part is if another network outbids them by 20% it voids their first and last right ability so Ch 9 out of fear may put in a huge bid and once they do the other networks might just walk or bid just over 20% more and take the game. Very interesting to see what happens as it will have a huge effect on how the game can move forward.

I also agree that it shouldn't go straight into the salary cap, if we did get a big deal then the salary cap could be slowly raised by a 600k a year over 4 years so we have lots of money to spend on grass root football and other initiatives.

Ning,Nash,Tee anyone can we shift this TV deal talk to its own thread now icon_thumbs_u

legen..... wait for it...

Anyway hopefully a few networks show some interest and make it a real fight for the rights (to party?).

Wasn't Packer and Murdoch juniors working some angle with One HD? Seems a likely scenario they'd pull together to get it maybe?

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • jd87
  • Turky Murky
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Brocko
  • Mustafur
  • LittleDavey
  • mystico
  • Financeguy
  • HarryAllan7
  • HVbronco
  • lynx000
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Battler
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.