NRL Wanting a Fixed Schedule

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
The NRL says it's willing to take a pay hit on its new television rights agreement if it means they can have a fixed calendar of matches.

The NRL's current deal, valued at $500 million over six years, ends following the 2012 campaign.

But under the terms of that deal, the NRL has a rolling schedule which allows broadcasters - the Nine Network and Fox Sports - to pick and choose which matches they want to televise depending on a team's form and appeal.

So if it guaranteed the year's fixtures were locked in before the season started, NRL chief executive David Gallop says the game would accept less money for its next deal.
http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews ... fault.aspx

So it looks like the NRL would rather let the fans know the years matches before the season now. Awesome effort and would mean fans can plan to travel interstate to see their teams

It would also hopefully mean more variety in free to air games.

That is a positive change of heart from the NRL and I am all for the fixed schedule. Though I don't think the game should need to accept less money to make this happen, the AFL gets more money from their TV rights than NRL already and they have always had fixed schedule, surely we can negotiate the same kind of deal, especially as our TV ratings crap all over the AFL TV ratings. Let's not forget less money from TV means they have to get it from somewhere else and the easiest target will be the fans.

id be happy to pay an extra $5 a game, IF in March i could plan ahead for August.

Flutterby said:
That is a positive change of heart from the NRL and I am all for the fixed schedule. Though I don't think the game should need to accept less money to make this happen, the AFL gets more money from their TV rights than NRL already and they have always had fixed schedule, surely we can negotiate the same kind of deal, especially as our TV ratings crap all over the AFL TV ratings. Let's not forget less money from TV means they have to get it from somewhere else and the easiest target will be the fans.

Agreed. Expect merchandise and tickets to get more expensive.

The NRL deal should be much higher than the last one based on CPI, and the fact we've been getting record crowds and ratings year after year. So accepting less should still mean an upgraded deal regardless.

I hope that's the NRL's mentality.

Typical Gallop making stupid comments. Yeah lets tell Ch 9 we are willing to accept 50 million less... not very smart.

Seriously sack Gallop. If the next TV deal isn't significantly higher than the NRL is going to struggle big time.

Gallop's a sensational CEO.
His crusade against the disgraceful Bulldogs is superb.

Bulldogs? Who cares about them. Gallop is a bad CEO the sooner he is gone the sooner the game can get what it's worth and not be massively undersold.

you reckon putting Every game on Foxsports would make more fans go to the games?

No. But if the NRL worked out a deal with some incentive to get Foxtel, maybe the FTA channels might actually start to produce decent shows for Australians, and we would get decent commentators, and decent coverage of all games.

Not just what Nine wants to do. Bunch of *****.

Don't see why setting the schedule at the beginning of the season should cost the NRL anything. Nein and Faux can still have their input, just means they'll have to use their brains instead of trying to follow some flash in the pan team.

Nashy said:
No. But if the NRL worked out a deal with some incentive to get Foxtel, maybe the FTA channels might actually start to produce decent shows for Australians, and we would get decent commentators, and decent coverage of all games.

Not just what Nine wants to do. Bunch of ****.

Maybe a "Free Sports Package for all NRL Season members during the NRL Season"

Nashy said:

Not just what Nine wants to do. Bunch of ****.

Channel Nine's coverage is absolutely pathetic in comparison to Foxtel.

I got the shits before I had foxtel that I couldn't watch certain games and I was too much of a stingy mofo to want to pay for it. Now I have foxtel I think their coverage of the NRL is worth every cent. Nein are useless as tits on a bull in regards to their coverage of league.

Scotty said:
I got the shits before I had foxtel that I couldn't watch certain games and I was too much of a stingy mofo to want to pay for it. Now I have foxtel I think their coverage of the NRL is worth every cent. Nein are useless as tits on a bull in regards to their coverage of league.

That's pretty much how i felt/feel as well. icon_thumbs_u

ningnangnong said:
Scotty said:

That's pretty much how i felt/feel as well. icon_thumbs_u

I agree as well, but it would look dead set embarrassing if our National Rugby League competition had no FTA coverage.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Broncos Maestro
  • bb_gun
  • NSW stables
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.