NRLW NRLW Brisbane Broncos Discussion 2024

Development players

Adams is from the Roosters, the rest are from Easts Tigers

How far has nrlw fallen. Wasn’t that long ago I reckon I could’ve named most of the 13. Apart from an aging Ali and Robbo, i got nothing.

Comp won’t get the traction it needs whilst the girls keep swapping around clubs. I can’t even fathom a comp where Kezie Apps doesn’t play for St George but here we are.

Yup the NRL have really fucked this up, we shouldn't be surprised. I used to enjoy the women's arguably more than the mens as it was a more pure rugby league game, less of the wrestle and the other bullshit. Then the squad started getting picked apart and now it's just a free for all. I know it had to be this way until it gets professional, but I guarantee they turned off a whole lot of who would have been committed watchers by the way it's all come about.

I might go back to it once there's more squad stability, but the wrestle and other bullshit has become more prevalent in the few games I've watched of the past 2 seasons so I don't know if I care enough to bother now. Which I'm really quite upset about. The NRL has again destroyed something I really enjoyed.

I think it was really exacerbated by adding 4 teams at once. I know they wanted to stagger it out more but covid kinda messed with that in that they wanted to play the catch up season in the same year so it left no time to do anything

There's an agreement to increase to 12 teams within the life of the recent CBA, which concludes in 2027, but it's up to the NRL. They want to expand supporter bases to the women’s league, and the fans of clubs without a team deserve to have their team. But like I’ve said even for this year I’m a little concerned about depth and making sure the competition remains elite, otherwise you may as well just put almost all the QCup/NSW cup teams in together and give them an NRL logo each to adopt if the talent is spread too wide.

Perhaps they're banking on a 'rising tide floats all boats' kind of approach with more 'reserve grade' players playing against higher quality opponents and professional training and conditiong will force improvement while boosting the talent pool with Rugby and international players until the juniors coming through become the majority when they can properly become full-time footy players

it’s tough seeing the amount of player movements - just look at the Dragons and Eels sides this year with each only having re-signed 6 players each from last season - and feeling like it’s not worth getting invested in, but a lot of these girls weren’t playing for their actual clubs so it makes sense they go back to Cronulla, Cowboys, the Tigers etc. Much like I assume the men did when new NSWRL clubs were introduced. Having said that even when there was only 4 and 6 teams most were still turning over about 50% of their roster from the year before

With multi year contracts and the advance towards full time professionalism with longer seasons and better pay, the player movement musical chairs won’t be as drastic hopefully

for the very casual Broncos viewer, players like Ciesiolka, Ferguson, Fogavini and Larsson will ideally be the future of the team (with Lenarduzzi and Robbo still here for a number of years yet) and are very good players, so they’re ones to keep your eye on imo. We also have Broughton for the next two seasons and hopefully we can keep Romy and Destiny as well.

And despite the dearth in established talent and everyone competing, the Roosters still manage to take everyone else’s stars and run out an all star team. They are going to smash everyone and it will be boring.

And despite the dearth in established talent and everyone competing, the Roosters still manage to take everyone else’s stars and run out an all star team. They are going to smash everyone and it will be boring.

Yup so this, it's the reason I'm not going to bother this year to watch.

I'll cover the rest of the teams in the other thread, but with the signing window closed, all clubs have released contract lengths for all top squad players.

Also it appears that Narikah Orchard from the development signing announcement is our 24th player as she's featured in the list:

End of 2023
End of 2024
End of 2025
Filomina Hanisi
Grace Griffin
Lavinia Gould
Mariah Denman
Narikah Orchard
Toni Hunt​
Annetta-Claudia Nu'uausala
Ashleigh Werner
Chelsea Lenarduzzi
Gayle Broughton
Hannah Larsson
Hayley Maddick
Jada Ferguson
Jasmine Fogavini
Lauren Dam
Mele Haufanga
Romy Teitzel (PO for 24)
Tazmin Gray
Tafito Lafaele​
Ali Brigginshaw
Brianna Clark
Destiny Brill
Julia Robinson
Shenae Ciesiolka​

Big news out of this is Destiny Brill for 3 seasons - didn't expect that long. But very happy when compared to the potential roster churn over at the Roosters - only 4 players there are signed beyond this season, and none are named Sergis or Kelly

Team for the trial against the Knights in Maitland this weekend:

I don't believe it will be televised unfortunately unless there's a local stream that gets set up

Also featuring is our last development player, touch footy and Norths player Breanna Eales

20 players and unlimited interchange so a team list would be almost pointless as most of the team could play anywhere within their backs/forwards groups

Fulltime Broncos win 18-4

Tries to Maddick, Lenarduzzi and Teitzel

Brigginshaw 2/2 and Teitzel 1/1

Based off this game we'll be running a Maddick, Broughton, Ali, Brill spine

Team

1. Maddick
5. Werner
3. Hufanga
4. Ciesiolka
19. Coolwell
6. Broughton
7. Brigginshaw
8. Nu'uausala
9. Brill
10. Lenarduzzi
17. Dam
12. Teitzel
13. Denman

14. Ferguson (hooker)
15. Hanisi (prop)
16. Lafaele (prop)
18. Griffin (half on for Ali)
20. Eales (lock)

No Robbo or Gray

A fairly dominant game from the girls - lots of mistakes from the Knights. Only their fullback #2 looked likely to really do anything. Knights only woke up with about 7-10 minutes left but couldn't stop dropping the ball. Due to the Knights never completing a set just about the back 3 never got into the game via kick returns but still did well

Romy was good in her first game vs her old side - good solo try just before the first break.

Werner looks like she gets the wing spot left from Bass and will surprise some people with her speed and direct running

Hufanga will cause havoc but it might pay using her more as a defender-attracting decoy as teams will have to double up on her leaving space elsewhere.

Knights fans you can hear on the feed are insufferable. Stream was absolute dogshit at times too - heaven forbid the NRL put any money into their digital offering.

Also watch this on YT rather than NRL.com's awful player

How far has nrlw fallen. Wasn’t that long ago I reckon I could’ve named most of the 13. Apart from an aging Ali and Robbo, i got nothing.

Comp won’t get the traction it needs whilst the girls keep swapping around clubs. I can’t even fathom a comp where Kezie Apps doesn’t play for St George but here we are.

It's been the problem since the first year- no stability.

94 contracted players from NRLW clubs in 2018 to 2019, just 41 stayed with the same team. 32 new faces so a third. 38 out of the 94 were without a contract for year two.

As fan of the Lions girls as well, I love seeing stuff like this

Mate I do too! I know the Men’s have been doing it too, I wonder if it is just because we are playing at the Gabba or if it is more of the ‘we are Brisbane’ against The? Either way I love it!

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Griffo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • Fozz
  • Justwin
  • Bish
  • Lurker
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fatboy
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • Browny
  • Midean
  • Foordy
  • Astro
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.