NSW have been getting worse

Will NSW improve on last year's performance?

• Total voters
Ghibli

Ghibli

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
I'm on holidays at the moment and courtesy of Bigpond Videos I have been watching the last 6 series wins of Qld in the 'State of Origin'; the thing that I have noted is that NSW have been gradually getting worse, both with who they're selecting and how they play the games.

I guess my question is above (as a poll).

This thread would have been apt in 2010.

In fairness 2011 was an improvement & brought them back to where they were around 2008.

I haven't got to 2011 yet, still in the 2009 and 2010 series.

There moving in the right direction and I can see potential in the current team. The points from last years series was QLD 58 NSW 54 , the tries were QLD 10 NSW 9. Take away the spectacular first 30 minutes of Game 3 last year the series was hard fought and closely contested.

**** never gets better it just chops and changes between colours and smells.

There moving in the right direction and I can see potential in the current team. The points from last years series was QLD 58 NSW 54 , the tries were QLD 10 NSW 9. Take away the spectacular first 30 minutes of Game 3 last year the series was hard fought and closely contested.
If you truly believe that score reflected what happened last year, you're even more deluded than I thought!

We were so far superior last year despite the closeness of the scores. Game one we were far better for 60 minutes, game two was an even contest and game three was dominant with some warriors footy from NSW late making the score look a lot better than it should have been. NSW have an enormous amount of ground to catch up.

I think Gus summed it up after game 3 last year. It looked like NSW were making some sort of inroads but now they find themselves back where they started from.

NSW certainly can and will improve; but it's all relative to how Queensland go. If the Test is anything to go by, Cronk/Thurston is nothing like Lockyer/Thurston (or even Prince/Thurston in 2007). Will that help us? Only if the entire team lifts and can keep the game close. If it comes down to even scores in the last five minutes, I don't think Cronk is as clutch as Locky was.
Now, with that being said, the NSW halves are equally important. A Pearce/Soward combo offers almost nothing in terms of gamebreaking ability. Based on current form, I think the only guy we have available that can turn a game is Carney. Carney/Wallace isn't on a par with Cronk/Thurston, but it might just be enough.

I reckon it might end up with Carney/Pearce/Farah with Dugan at fullback if he's fit.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bongo
  • The True King
  • MrTickyMcG
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrMoore
  • Wolfie
  • bert_lifts
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncsgoat
  • kiwibronco
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • Lurker
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morepudding
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.