NSW Selectors

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
I thought to dedicate a thread to these guys.

2006:
Willie Mason plays prop for all 3 games, lolz, and get's owned by the entire QLD team.
Game 2: Braith Anasta & Brett Finch play terribly.
Game 3: they bring in Mark Gasnier to 5/8 to partner Craig Gower for the first time.
The backline & backrow picked itself and wasn't bad.

2007:
Game 1: Briath Anasta and Jarrod Mullen play and lose. I think Mullen was injured so he never appeared in origin again.
Game 2: Braith Anasta & Brett Kimmorley plays. Kimmorley covered Anasta's ass.
Game 3: Kimmorley & Bird play and win. Because QLD basically were too injured to play on. NSW played a good game though, well done.
Brett White & Willie Mason again in the front row. Lolz.
Hazem El Masri plays a token origin match. WTF?

2008:
Greg Bird & Peter Wallace win game 1 & are dominated in game 2 & are injured for Game 3. Selectors forget about 2006 form and select Anasta for Game 3 to be partnered by - LOLZ - Mitchell Pearce. (never mind Kimmorley & Anasta won in game 3 2007)
Game 2 sees a cameo Steve Turner performance. Nicely selected there lads. Luckily he was gone in Game 3.
Game 3: Brett Stewart selected on the bench. Wtf? He isn't an origin build like Karmichael......
Greg Bird " the NSW wally lewis"

2009:
Well, lol, McManus, David Williams, Peter Wallace, Trent Barrett...none of which are the form players in the comp.
Josh Morris on the bench.
WTF!
At least they didn't select mason at Prop I guess...and no Anasta or Pearce which is something.

What chance do NSW have with this much chopping and changes over the last 4 years?
Go and look at the QLD side and apart from injury we've stayed true to ourselves, the only one huge mofo wtf was when they selected Karmichael at 5/8 in 2008 game 1. Luckily they stood up and said "our bad, we made a boo boo"

NSW Selectors, it's time to leave the house. Good bye.
Bob McCarthy, Laurie Daley, Bob Fulton, Geoff Gerrard....named and shamed (I think they're still in charge?)

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yep, NSW were more competitive under Graham Murray.

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
mrslong said:
Hazem El Masri plays a token origin match. WTF?

Hazem would have done better than the nuffies they've played on the wing this series

dukey

dukey

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2008
Sack the selectors and give the coach (whoever is replacing Bellamy) free choice to pick the team.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
If I was Bellyache I would insist on the final say on my team for game 3, he has nothing to lose.

J

Jargernaut

NYC Player
Mar 4, 2008
why do selectors exist. i mean pick a coach and let him pick a team. i dont understand the idea of 5 people picking a team that one is going to coach.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
I'm not a fan of the coach not being able to pick his own team but the 'biased' issue is something that can't be ignored. How about just two selectors and the coach? So there are three selectors in total. That way there is smaller discussion and the coach is allowed to convince the selectors about the players he wants to pick. If the selectors are happy and convinced - the coach gets the player.

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
The coach should get the team he wants. If he doesn't get the results, he should be sacked. Getting rid of the selectors gets rid of one level of blame. At the moment, the coach says he didn't get the team he wanted, and the selectors say the coach didn't coach the team well enough.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
OXY-351 said:
The coach should get the team he wants. If he doesn't get the results, he should be sacked. Getting rid of the selectors gets rid of one level of blame. At the moment, the coach says he didn't get the team he wanted, and the selectors say the coach didn't coach the team well enough.

That was one of the things Bennett brought into the QRL when he took over the coaching job in 2001. Up to then it was like NSW where the selectors handed the coach a squad and said "go for it"...result? 3-0 whitewash against and a 50-16 embarrassment.

Bennett took on the coaching job with a number of conditions, and one of them was that he had the final say on the team. He would take input from the selection panel, but ultimately he had the final say.

That has held true to the coaches since - Hagan and Meninga.

Hagan fucked it, because he couldn't coach and under 8s team, but Meninga has built a dynasty.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Coxy said:
OXY-351 said:

That was one of the things Bennett brought into the QRL when he took over the coaching job in 2001. Up to then it was like NSW where the selectors handed the coach a squad and said "go for it"...result? 3-0 whitewash against and a 50-16 embarrassment.

Bennett took on the coaching job with a number of conditions, and one of them was that he had the final say on the team. He would take input from the selection panel, but ultimately he had the final say.

That has held true to the coaches since - Hagan and Meninga.

Hagan **** it, because he couldn't coach and under 8s team, but Meninga has built a dynasty.

Hearing Gus on the footy show last night it sounded like he was hinting that he wouldn't coach unless it was on his terms, he didn't come out right in saying it but that's what I got out of it. Hinting that there's no way he'd coach if he had to sit under the selectors and the NSW high and mighties.

Hagan was intimidated by Joey & Bedsy...a little like Bellamy and his storm boys.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
So QLD coach gets the final say on the team now? Wow. I didn't know that!!!!

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Pretty much he gets the first and final say. He discusses it with the selectors, they show him stuff about players that are going well and make recommendations, but it comes down to what kind of game the coach wants to play.

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I hope Gus gets the Origin gig. Just so we can watch him get destroyed and turn against everyone, which is his greatest character trait.

Gould loves dispensing advice but never takes blame (a little like Bellamy), so when he loses the next series, he will have a pre written list of reasons (read; people) to blame.

I know we all get Gus saturation, however RL supporters need to look outside the box in regards to Gould. He is shit; he always knows after the event, but has the ability to talk through "his" ideas in a way so as many become convinced of his knowledge base.

On the Gus saturation, how many other Origin or for that matter, club coaches have we all sat down and listened to in depth? That's correct; none.

Listen to him during a game, watch how many things he says early in a game, compared to towards the back end of a game. Also, his record looks great at Origin level but look at the cattle he had, much like Big Mal's cattle during Mal's "successful" Origin coaching gig. Both coaches have had tremendous players to work with.

Gus Gould; the man is an idiot, who can convince people. Nothing more.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
I think Gus as a Mal type coach backed up by an assistant coach who knows his stuff would be good for NSW. He is one of the few with actual passion for the Blues.

Either that or a coaching/mentor type role.

But Thursday night pretty much showed his ego. Instead of swallowing his pride and saying he would help if asked, he had to say he wanted this and that before he would do the job. What a knobjob.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Gus has basically ruled himself out. "I'll never work with the ARL or NSWRL again". So unless the NSWRL Origin team is not run by the NSWRL then he's no chance.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
Not sure about that Hammoz. I won't say he's not a git but he does know his stuff. Not all of his ideas are 'right' per say and he does try to influence his ideas with his agenda - but that's just him. Obviously someone like Sterlo isn't going to get in your face and enforce his ideas.
Personally, I reckon Gus is good for the game - sadly, his stupid vendettas and personal battles with NRL administration, the refs and a whole lot of other stupid politics gets in the way of RL succeeding sometimes as a community. A lot of internal bad blood there.
He's a great origin coach though, his record speaks for himself. He knew how to take the game to QLD. He prepared his teams well and they were in your face and they put QLD off their game. Can't deny that. He did have great teams.

Bottom line, he won't coach but I swear, if he comes out to coach when QLD are on the decline (e.g. when Civo and Price retire) and get the glory. Well, what a rat but that's just typical of him! Let's face it NSW will have their time eventually, it's a matter of when. Hope it's not Gus coaching.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Gus is full of s@#t and himself. Since NSW lost Game 1 this year he has been going on about getting the same passion into the side, building the NSW culture.
Basically mimicking QLDs structure bringing in past players to instill in the current players what it means to play origin for NSW.
12 months ago he launched a campaign to get the NZ players included in origin, plenty of passion and history there.
The bloke bends with the wind, absolute joke.

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Dexter said:
12 months ago he launched a campaign to get the NZ players included in origin, plenty of passion and history there. The bloke bends with the wind, absolute joke.

+ 1000000

And let's all remember how he ranted for weeks and basically abused Gallop on TV regarding the supposed "exodus". That was the thing that was crippling our game apparently. Haven't heard him rant much on that this season, probably because players aren't leaving in the masses.

Also let's not forget that early 2008 season high kicks on the 4th and 5th, into the in goal were destroying "the very fabric" of the game. That too was apparently crippling our game....except now many teams are using this tactic in attack and in defence negating the tactic. Suddenly we don't hear about it anymore.

Of course there is always an agenda with this self indulgent dinosaur. This season it is apparently night games. Forget GFC, forget swine flu, the crux of evil is night games. They are apparently not family friendly, as well as give us the supporters an inferior product because of moisture on the ground. Forget the fact that in 2009 most families could never get to a day game unless it was Sunday arvo. Also forget the fact that TV ratings generate close to all the income of our sport. I mean who doesn't want to watch Brisbane vs. Storm at 2pm Saturday afternoon? [eusa_doh

Just because he has a gig at 9 and we have to listen to him, doesn't make him a footy savvy person. He is nothing more than a self indulgent idiot, who will generate agendas out of nothing and force them onto his TV audience.

It sickens me that he had enough nous to realise he was hated in QLD (read; warned to curb his agenda against QLD) and as such, has changed his tune toward QLD teams, sucking up to QLD audiences in recent years. The man would eat his own offspring in a heartbeat. He is a classic example of why RL growth has stagnated for so long; typical ARL-mindset and if he had his way it would be a 10 team comp with the most northern team being Newcastle and the most southern team being Wests.

Active Now

• thenry
  • Bucking Beads
  • bazza
  • Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Cavalo
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Rambstien
  • john1420
  • Lostboy
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.