Oates feeling Origin heat from Slater

That Slater is such a grub, heating up our Oates like that. I hope he realises he can't just bowl up and have his preferred position served back to him on a spoon. I mean he was cooked, no way he's coming back into the team in an instant.

That Slater is such a grub, heating up our Oates like that. I hope he realises he can't just bowl up and have his preferred position served back to him on a spoon. I mean he was cooked, no way he's coming back into the team in an instant.
I just think he's one good shoulder shot away from permanent retirement.

I see what you did there

You've had too many calzones. Let's not forget what he's done for us in origin.

Slater deserves a swansong.

Like the swansong Hodges got that year for the Australian side?

Idgaf about swansongs, the Queensland jearsey is bigger than the player. But, should Slater continue to improve and regain even 80% of his peak form I firmly believe he should be in the team.

Boyd has been the best fullback in the game since Slater's been out, but Slater himself is absolutely in another class. His positional play has lost nothing, and he's still got more toe than Boyd.

But more importantly I think is the fact Boyd can play elsewhere in the backline. Slater cannot. I've got concerns about Queensland depth at centre and wing, and think a 1. Slater, 2. Boyd combo is going to be stronger than any other combination we can put up. Even if Boyd was going to be slightly better at Fullback, overall the team would be weaker with someone else on the wing.

I don't think Oates is an origin quality winger, unless his work under the high ball improves out of sight.

I'd like to see a Slater Boyd/Holmes Gaigai/Chambers backline. Pitts we have to have Chambers, but he plays well in Origin and I think O'Neill is overrated.

Deserved or no, the fact that Inglis is out for Origin means there is a spot up for grabs, and Slater will be tempting for the selectors. Assuming incumbents, I see Gagai playing centre, and Slater/Boyd taking up the FB/Wing spots.

moving Boyd back to the wing at 29 would be an insult to him at this stage of his career. He's the incumbent end of story. I know who I'd prefer under a high ball with 2 mins to go clinging onto a 2 point lead.

Billy to run the water

but Slater himself is absolutely in another class.
In what way exactly, throwing the ball over the sideline and putting his team under pressure? I'd take Boyd over Slater, Slater is good, but Boyd is more reliable.

I'd still have Slater in the team but it would be at wing and he can come in field and roam in attack as a second fullback.

Just going to throw it out there too. Slater is a grub. He deserves to cop plenty on the chin for his constant use of his feet.

Just going to throw it out there too. Slater is a grub. He deserves to cop plenty on the chin for his constant use of his feet.

Slater and Smith are two of the biggest grubs in the game.

I feel re-calling Slater, particularly for the fullback position, would be working backwards. Yes he got injured but lots of players lose their spot due to injury. Boyd can be our fullback for the next five years he should stay there. Not a big fan of dropping Oates either. Had a great series last year and will be much better for the experience.

Selecting Slater just seems like looking backwards.

Based on current form Oates should be at long odds to make the team

Based on current form Oates should be at long odds to make the team
We all know what Oates is capable in attack. His defence has been exceptional this year and he has single-handedly pulled an effort out to save our assess. Has looked better under the high-ball also.

If Slater isn't picked he is a certainty to play imo.

Active Now

• Gaz
  • broncoscope
  • Redux
  • Sproj
  • porouian
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • Tim K
  • Johnny92
  • FACTHUNT
  • Culhwch
  • Howie
  • Mpost
  • winslow_wong
  • Hurrijo
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosMan
  • YeahNahMate
  • Redfern_1980
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.