Oates' ultimatum: Play wing, or face Origin axe

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Oatesc 180702710 sd

Darren Lockyer says Corey Oates’ pursuit to play back-row could cost him his Origin jumper

July 6, 2018

MAROONS powerbrokers have warned Corey Oates his Origin career is in jeopardy if the Queensland winger persists with plans to make a permanent move to the forwards.

A defiant Oates admits he is prepared to “piss off everyone”, including his Broncos coach Wayne Bennett, in his unrelenting desire to become a full-time back-rower for Brisbane and Queensland.

Overlooked for the first two Origin games this season, Oates gets a chance to reignite his Queensland career when he runs out on the left wing this Wednesday night at Suncorp Stadium.

But not even a recall to the Queensland team as a winger and a $30,000 payday for Origin III is sufficient reward to convince Oates to abandon his dream of playing in the forwards.

Maroons selector Darren Lockyer on Friday night revealed that Oates stands to lose his place in the Queensland Origin team by joining the fierce competition for back-row spots at the Broncos.

“The risk for Corey to consider if that he wants to chase a career in the back row, he could lose his Origin jumper,” Lockyer said.

“That’s his decision if he wants to pursue a permanent career in the back row, but I just hope Corey understands that he can provide just as much value to a team as a winger.

“I think Corey will have a longer NRL career on the wing and he will play more rep football for Queensland on the wing.

“Corey’s body has been pretty good to him in recent years and I think that has something to do with him playing on the wing.

“I can’t knock Corey for his passion in wanting to be a back-rower. If he wants to chase that dream, good luck to him, but most people would say, ‘Corey, why do you want to move when you have such a great standing in the game on the wing?’

“He’s a wonderful winger and one of the best finishers I’ve ever seen.”

Oates remains off-contract at season’s end and Bennett has made it clear he has no plans to move the 23-year-old from Brisbane’s left wing, even if he signs a new deal with the Broncos.

The back-row is Brisbane’s strongest position, with young guns Jaydn Su’A and David Fifita supporting senior duo Matt Gillett and Alex Glenn.

Oates, however, is determined to change Bennett’s mind and believes while he has initially lost the battle, he can win the war with the super coach.

“I’m not giving up hope (of playing back row), I will piss everyone off,” he said with a laugh.

“I always ask Wayne (to move to the forward) and he gives me a smirk.

“I will keep trying to change his mind. I’m a pest. I’m never going to stop.

“Wayne likes me now, it’s taken me three years. I’m not going to stop. It’s always an option (to play wing), but I’m still pretty confident I can change his mind.

“I like training there and I feel the back row brings more out of me than the wing does.

“I’m not the quick-off-the-mark bloke, I’m the slow-off-the-mark powerful guy.

“I feel like a forward. I would love to move back, but I will play my best footy wherever I play.”

Lockyer believes Oates can still attract a lucrative NRL contract playing on the wing.

“Some players get caught up in thinking a back-rower can earn a lot more money than wingers, but Corey is worth more as a high-quality winger than potentially diluting his impact as a back-rower,” he said.

“His metres-gained are incredible and he won’t score as many tries in the back row. Corey also has to weigh up his body and whether the effort-on-effort stuff in the forwards could cut short his career.”

Source: Courier Mail

Well, there's a lot less competition for the 2nd row spot at the moment. Our starting 2nd rowers are friggin Cooper and Kaufusi, lol.

Seems like a weird thing to say considering he’s been axed, from the wing, in origin, before. We’re more stacked in outside backs than fucking 2nd rowers at the moment.

Appreciate the Qld support convincing him to stay on the wing tho lol

I just don’t get it. Like Locky says, good on him for having that personal goal to play the position he wants, but he’s already a top 5 winger in the game at 23. Sign another contract Corey and Luke Lewis it in another 3-4 years time. We’ll pay you second-rower money (if that’s even a thing) until then.

Bit of an odd thing to come out and say considering they overlooked Oates for the first two Origins (wrongly IMO), and have given him a dead rubber to have a run.

I reckon Locky is looking after the Broncos' interests with this article. Contract renewal time is coming up after all...

I love your cynicism Ning....I believe you're right

He’ll never play second row for us if Su’a and Fifita hit their straps, not to mention we have Gillett, aka the best second rower in the comp, for a few years yet. Dropping Su’a for him based on this year’s form would make me vomit.

I don’t understand this obsession from him, is it money related? Why would you want to expose your body to MORE punishment when you’re arguably the best winger in the comp?

Last edited:
He’ll never play second row for us if Su’a and Fifita hit their straps, not to mention we have Gillett, aka the best second rower in the comp, for a few years yet. Dropping Su’a for him based on this year’s form would make me vomit.

I don’t understand this obsession from him, is it money related? Why would you want to expose your body to MORE punishment when you’re arguably the best winger in the comp?

Most definitely money related.

Most definitely money related.
I believe it's respect related. I don't think for a second it's about cash. Oates knows that wingers have always been poorly rated in rugby league and still to this day are the target of many jokes and comments and I think Oates wants the respect the guys in the middle get.

I havent read that article, but does Oates want to START in the backrow, or come off the bench ?

If he wants a starting spot for us then i think he is in for a bit of a shock.

I really fucking hate players who think they can dictate their position. Hope the Broncos have a good winger in the ranks, and we move this fella on.

I did find this supposed ultimatum a bit funny considering it was reported last year that he was unlikely to get back into the maroons squad unless he moved to the backrow ...

now they have reversed their ultimatum

I really fucking hate players who think they can dictate their position.

i agree ... players need to play where it is best for the team. For Oates, with us, that position for the foreseeable future is wing...

I think it is hypocritical of people who had a go at Hoffman for demanding fullback, to now be calling for Oates to be moved to avoid losing him (even though it is not in the best interest of the team) ...

although in Oates case, I do wonder if it is him trying to dictate terms or just the media raising it every chance they get to try and destabilise us

If oates moves on for a second row spot he better hope he joins a winning club because as soon as they arent winning and there are ANY injuries or lack of form in the outside backs he will be shafted back there...

People forget how many plays move on from brisbane for greater opportunity and massivly fail, particularly when they move to sydney clubs. For all the negativity about our club on here, we undoubtably provide players with the best opportunity in regards to support (eg bird, lodge, roberts) and facilities. Unless everything goes 100% perfect for them, their team is winning things go south rather quickly. Titans dont have a bad strike rate probqbly due to the players still staying close to home, but sydney clubs would appear to succeed about 25% of times i reckon, which is incredibly low when you consider they are having success at a top 4-level club before they leave

I believe it's respect related. I don't think for a second it's about cash. Oates knows that wingers have always been poorly rated in rugby league and still to this day are the target of many jokes and comments and I think Oates wants the respect the guys in the middle get.
He gets plenty of my respect and dare say, plenty of respect from other fans, players and coaches for what he does on the wing.

i agree ... players need to play where it is best for the team. For Oates, with us, that position for the foreseeable future is wing...

I think it is hypocritical of people who had a go at Hoffman for demanding fullback, to now be calling for Oates to be moved to avoid losing him (even though it is not in the best interest of the team) ...

although in Oates case, I do wonder if it is him trying to dictate terms or just the media raising it every chance they get to try and destabilise us
Fair point.

I’m a bit of a fence sitter at the moment on this one. I want him to stay, but I also agree we can’t pander to what a player wants by moving other players around to accommodate them if it’s not what is best for the team - and certainly, moving Oates right now is not best for the team.

Indeed it’s almost the reverse Lockyer. He sacrificed all his success for the betterment of the team. This just seams a little selfish and not really big-picture thinking.

All the criticism of Hoffman was warranted though. The only person who thought he was a better fullback than winger was the bloke himself. History proved it to be true. A cautionary tale perhaps for others who think they know better than their coaches and every other important figure at their club.

That said, I do believe Oates could be a special backrower. If it happens though, it’s just a question of whether his body holds up or not. That’s something I’m not as confident about.

I just don’t get it. Like Locky says, good on him for having that personal goal to play the position he wants, but he’s already a top 5 winger in the game at 23. Sign another contract Corey and Luke Lewis it in another 3-4 years time. We’ll pay you second-rower money (if that’s even a thing) until then.

^ This!

Active Now

• azza.79
  • heartly87
  • Redfern_1980
  • bert_lifts
  • Justwin
  • davidp
  • Fitzy
  • Confidor
  • Sproj
  • Ondi
  • bb_gun
  • jarro65
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • porouian
  • Dash
  • Redux
  • Xzei
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.