Oates' ultimatum: Play wing, or face Origin axe

He gets plenty of my respect and dare say, plenty of respect from other fans, players and coaches for what he does on the wing.
That may well be the case but it doesn't change how he perceives things. He may regard that 'respect' very lightly. I'm referring to the type of respect he isn't getting exemplified by people like Blocker Roach and throwaway comments you hear on the footy shows etc about wingers.

Not money related i dont think. He sees himself as a backrower, he wants to play back row because he just enjoys it more.

Does he just enjoy tackling people or something? He gets just as many hit ups and scores a heap more tries (which to me would be the best part of being a player) being out wide. Or just preferring to not have to defend the overlaps and defuse bombs? I get also having to manage to do the awesome put downs might get old, but hey that’s why you get paid son

I really fucking hate players who think they can dictate their position. Hope the Broncos have a good winger in the ranks, and we move this fella on.
Moving a second rower to the wing worked with Oates, we should give David Fifita a run on the wing. He's fast and strong enough. I'm not even sure if I'm being serious here but it would be fun to see

I normally am a big Locky fan but Darren...shut up. Let me remind you that you moved position too. You can't blame a guy for thinking that he is better equipped to playing another position. In the meantime he is going out week in and week out and playing the house down. I have no problem with what he is trying to accomplish. It shows some determination and guts.

Last edited:
He moved position because he was asked to. Big difference.

I normally am a big Locky fan but Darren...shut up. Let me remind you that you moved position too. You can't blame a guy for thinking that he is better equipped to playing another position. In the meantime he is going out week in and week out and playing the house down. I have no problem with what he is trying to accomplish. It shows some determination and guts.

Wayne moved him, he didn't have a whinge about wanting to play 5/8 and huff and puff until it happened or we lost him to another club.

That may well be the case but it doesn't change how he perceives things. He may regard that 'respect' very lightly. I'm referring to the type of respect he isn't getting exemplified by people like Blocker Roach and throwaway comments you hear on the footy shows etc about wingers.
Yeah, fair point but if you're worried about what old dinosaurs like Blocker (who has had one too many knocks to the head), you're in trouble.

Wayne moved Lockey for the team and his assumed best potential at the time.

Oates best for the team is on the wing, and its also his best potential long term as a career position - maybe back row in the last few years of his contract.

Yeah, fair point but if you're worried about what old dinosaurs like Blocker (who has had one too many knocks to the head), you're in trouble.
No, it's not so much a worry to Oates what one particular ex footballer thinks in my opinion, it's more what has historically been the view of the wing position. Having said that, if Blocker was to say he rates Oates as as a tough and hard forward I'm pretty sure (not certain mind you) Oates would feel a warm glow. Blocker was one tough motherfucker and even though you might not rate what he says Oates may, especially seeing as Blocker played in the toughest position of them all. No matter, it's only this old dinosaurs opinion!

He moved position because he was asked to. Big difference.

And he also had credibility as a 5/8th prior to the club shifting him to fullback(and you weren't going to break up the Walters/langer combo) and unlike Oates, Bennett asked him to play there for the benefit of the side, Lockyer wasn't pressuring him or the club to do so.

Last edited:
The fact that Oates jokes about asking Wayne every week to play in the back row, and Bennett jokes that it’s BS and he begs to stay on the wing, makes me think this is now a bit of an inside joke between these two.

If it really was a sore point, or something that had the potential to become one, Oates would have been instructed to tow the company line and say he’s happy to play wherever, and Bennett would say the same.

Unread

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • whykickamoocow
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • bb_gun
  • broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Hoof Hearted
  • broncsgoat
  • bert_lifts
  • heartly87
  • Financeguy
  • azza.79
  • Confidor
  • davidp
  • Johnny92
  • Redfern_1980
  • Justwin
  • Fitzy
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.